MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New here..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here..
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading posts and kinda get it, but being myopic I am somewhat unfocused and have a problem reading through all the posts without getting distracted or just skimming through without actually digesting the information, perhaps something inside me is saying I won't get it so why even bother.

So a couple events led me here, I allways hated wearing glasses as a child, and even went through school without them and not being able to read the blackboard caused me to compensate in other ways, so I guess my whole life I have compensated in not being able to see properly in pretty much every aspect of my life, not sure what caused it, but I do tend to make due.

Recently I broke my 5 or so year old glasses cleaning them and went for a few weeks without using them, I like the feeling of not having them on my face, so I googled how to heal eyes, when I stumbled on the bates method and pinhole glasses..

When I went for new glasses I asked the Eye doc about bates and he shrugged it off saying my eyes are too far off and its too difficult anyway.

So now I find myself wanting to heal them as much as I can if possible after my father had deteched retina, this all happened within a month so I guess its a sign I should not miss..

Well thanks for reading and I hope maybe I can grasp how to actually apply the method in my everyday life..

Al
Eyesea,

The first step is to know that you can improve your vision if you follow directions properly with the right frame of mind, although results may take a long time in coming, and are not necessarily guaranteed.

The second step is to decide which route you want to take if you choose the Bates method of vision improvement which I highly recommend and am using. You can hire a teacher which could speed up your progress, or you can go the free route and learn the hows and whys of everything yourself online.

If you choose to hire a teacher, then I can direct you to two great ones, and a list of others.

If you choose to go the free route, I'll give you some pointers to start with. Please follow them in this order.

1. Read David's recent blog posts and introduction to the method on the left at the home page to get a feel for how to look at things properly as you re-learn good visual habits (one tip, staring is not real relaxation).

2. Go to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seeing.org">www.seeing.org</a><!-- w --> and look at the illustrations of palming, the sway, and the different swings.

4. If you know about either the Alexander technique or EFT, these are both things that will greatly help you to both improve your vision, and be more relaxed and open overall. For that matter, if you have learned any sort of meditation technique, you'll understand the principles of the Bates Method faster.

5. The different featured blogs (especially Nancy and Sorrisi) are great things to read to understand how everything works. A quick tip from Sorrisi on palming is to make micro movements in your arms while still having your palms touching your face to help prevent strain from getting stored up inside of your arms.

6. David's blog I highly recommend reading in detail, maybe do one post an hour, because they are long and you want to remember everything. Feel free to re-read them as often as necessary. There's also a user Jambo2000, the entire threads that he's commented on are highly recommended reads (it's not a ton right now). Before you read any of the other blogs, read David's, it will lay the groundwork for all the other blogs.

7. [optional]. Assuming you aren't already overwhelmed (yes you CAN ask clarifying questions on here if you need to), reading Dr. Bate's original works and those by many good teachers will help you to understand how the method came about, how well it worked and can work, what happened to it, and how to apply it. Also, most are now freely available online due to their copyright expiring.

If you decide to read these books there are two and one magazine that I would place first on that list. Dr. Bate's "Perfect Sight Without Glasses", Dr. Bate's "Better Eyesight Magazine", and "Paul's Pathway to Normal Vision" (different author). All three are available for free online.

8. I'd also pay particular attention to how to use a Snellen chart as stated by Nancy, Sorrisi, and Dr. Bates.

9. An important point is the "Universal Swing". It's a hard concept to grasp until you personally experience it, but it is quite a fundamental concept. Don't stress over not understanding it, but put it to good use once you have experienced it and understand it better.

10. Put these into practice and start relearning how to see!
Looks like I'm in the same situation as you though I'm just 16. Schools about to end but I was prescribed with glasses two years ago, but I never used them because I refused to accept the idea that I had to wear glasses! ): but what is overly disturbing to me is that I struggle to see what the teacher is putting up on the board. For two years I have done this but still I manage to pass with a GPA of 3.5 and higher. Too sad there's no doubt that I will have to put those glasses into use or even prescribed with one with a higher prescription, since I'm an upcoming IB diploma candidate.
kevin913 Wrote:Looks like I'm in the same situation as you though I'm just 16. Schools about to end but I was prescribed with glasses two years ago, but I never used them because I refused to accept the idea that I had to wear glasses! ): but what is overly disturbing to me is that I struggle to see what the teacher is putting up on the board. For two years I have done this but still I manage to pass with a GPA of 3.5 and higher. Too sad there's no doubt that I will have to put those glasses into use or even prescribed with one with a higher prescription, since I'm an upcoming IB diploma candidate.

Have you practiced any of the central fixation, seeing details, swinging, palming and such?
Kevin, looking back I wish I just wore my glasses when I needed them, it would have made my life much less stressfull.. I am not sure if not wearing glasses is more harmfull when you are straing to see anyway..From what I understand the way to help vision improve is by allowing the eyes to let the image in rather than trying to see the image..like seeing without looking at anything.
eyesea Wrote:I am not sure if not wearing glasses is more harmfull when you are straing to see anyway..

When you are not wearing corrective lenses, your eyes at least have a chance to correct themselves, to assume a more normal shape, for a shorter or longer duration. With them on, you have to maintain the level of tension/strain in order to see correctly through them. You eliminate the chance of any improvement, and reinforce incorrect focusing. Of course being stressed by it all won't help improvement either.
I agree with Andrew, and so does Dr. Bates. Here are a few things he said about eyeglasses. I did not double-check Esther's references but I trust her. http://dreamersight.wordpress.com/2009/0...yeglasses/
I am open minded about the bates method, but I think you need to modify your viewing before you decide to ditch the glasses completely if you want to improve vision, and the only reason why I say this is, if simply ditching the galsses would improve vision I would have cured myself as a child..

But im open to any corrections in my thinking Smile
Bates was not about only ditching the glasses - he was about ditching them AND relearning how to see correctly. Without the second part, your vision could remain in a poor state indefinitely. It's just extremely difficult to do that, when constantly reinforcing the incorrect habits and unconscious strains. How can you modify your viewing when you are blocking yourself from doing it at the same time? They have to be worn as little as possible for the relearning process to take root.

Andrew
eyesea, that's not what I'm saying (ditch the glasses and you'll be magically cured!), at all. I was only addressing the question about whether glasses or no glasses is a better choice, and giving Bates's words about that, which have a lot more credibility than my own. Of course you still have to use good visual habits to keep improving. Otherwise all people would have to do to heal would be take off their glasses, and I'd have had 20/20 vision a decade ago! Please don't mis-quote me (or Dr. Bates).
Sorry Nancy if you took what I said that way, I was just replying to Kevin and his studies, I think Bated touched on straining your eyes excessively can cause you to lose vision completely, again I am very new to this so please correct me if Im wrong, just trying to get informed is my main concern not about starting a debate.
Nancy Wrote:I agree with Andrew, and so does Dr. Bates. Here are a few things he said about eyeglasses. I did not double-check Esther's references but I trust her. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dreamersight.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/dr-bates-eyeglasses/">http://dreamersight.wordpress.com/2009/ ... yeglasses/</a><!-- m -->

Thanks Nancy, that's a good summary. Funny, it even took Bates himself a year to be convinced that he had to discard his glasses (reading glasses) before he could cure himself. His hard line comes from not only his personal experience, but from 30 or 40 years of treating how many thousands of patients -

Here's one reference she didn't mention:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/better-eyesight-magazine/better-eyesight-1922-06.php#discard-glasses">http://www.central-fixation.com/better- ... rd-glasses</a><!-- m -->
Arthur, thanks. This is quite clear and definitive, pure Bates science. Do only what works!

eyesea, I'm sorry if I overreacted and took offense when none was meant. I assumed you were replying to me, not to Kevin, since your note was right after mine. I encourage you to read Dr. Bates' writings, rather than other people's paraphrasing of them, if you want to learn more about his method.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download