MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Reduced prescription lenses

Poll: Switch to glasses with the astigmatism cut in half?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
bare with it
60.00%
3 60.00%
get it changed
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduced prescription lenses
Hi, i decided to try this out and got myself a pair of reduced prescription lenses. My original prescription was -3.75 with -2.00 cyl. (both eyes)
The glasses i got is -3.00 with the cyl completely dropped out. Now when ever i try to use them to see the computer or the board, my astigmatism is so bad that it becomes uncomfortable. Should i return them for a prescription close to -3.00 and -1.00 or should i just bare with it and hope my astigmatism gets better. Thank you.
A humorous point: the proofreader in me laughed at "bare with it" as it sounds like you're nude except for your glasses! I'm pretty sure you meant "bear with it". My behavioral optometrist said if your astigmatism was -2 or greater he'd reduce it, not remove it, since it would be too much of a disruption to the nervous system. You're right on the brink. I guess it depends on how much computer work you do, and how frequently you can take breaks and palm for a minute. If it were me I'd try to tough it out, knowing my eyes were adjusting, but maybe still order a pair with reduced cylinder to use when it gets too uncomfortable and I can't get away from the computer. Your goal is no glasses and no correction, but you can't be straining so much trying to get there that you're making no progress. NVI is about more than reduced glasses -- you have to make sure you're using correct looking habits, glasses or not. I voted "bear with it" but of course it's your choice, and I don't like the wording (apart from the misspelling) as it suggests gritted teeth. Any glasses you have to strain to look through are not good for you.
haha sorry about the spelling. This post was done late at night, while stressing over these prescriptions. I think I do know about the correct vision habits. The bates book tells me to sketch, blink, breath. Is there any others i should know about? I am going to go over "davids method" to see if there is any difference with the bates method. Would you recommend davids over bates?

Also how long would you estimate my astigmatism or any part of my vision will improve? I'm looking for a rough estimate when the habits are done correctly.
Do as much palming as you can, short periods if that's all you can fit in. It's a great rest for computer eyes.

I can't give you any estimate that would mean anything about your astigmatism correction. It takes as long as it takes, and my sense is that it will be a lot faster if you don't wear glasses much.
How bad do you think it would be if i got reduced astigmatism correction to use daily i.e computer use and class room use.

Would my eyes improve at all?

From my understanding astigmatism can vary on the axis of correction too so i worry that this would cause problems. These current glasses are a hassle to deal with at times so i am kind of leaning towards reduced astigmatism instead. I palm daily whenever i feel any strain.
Whatever makes you strain less is better. When my -1.75 cylinder correction was removed it probably took me close to a week and a half to not feel like the walls were curving when I walked down a hall, but I also had a very high prescription so lots of strain, plus a head tilt and other body imbalances. Go with what feels best, erring in the direction of too weak rather than too strong if you have a choice (because that means less strain), a long as you're safe to drive.
Two diopters of astigmatism is a lot.
You could try a pair of glasses with -4.75 sphere,and no cylinder.
The idea here is to give you half the cylinder power in the form of sphere, in the meridian of astigmatism,and slightly over correct all other meridians.
After a while of wearing these, the astigmatism should decrease to the point that you could slowly reduce the sphere to work on eliminating the myopia.
Do not increase any power in the lenses. Increasing any area of the lenses will just make other eye muscles tense and can cause astigmatism in more areas of the eye, cornea. It will further impair the vision.

Just follow the advice of reducing the lenses weaker and weaker. Removing the astigmatism section in the eyeglasses is best. Nancy's advice is best; just go through the time it takes to get used to no astigmatism in the lenses. You will be glad you did it.

Wow Nancy that's great, I didn't know you went through all that! When my neck was broken by that chiropractor I had similar effects but not as intense as what you saw. Made the dizziness worse. Bates method and posture... does work, it cured it.

Bifocal posts similar to Otis; Advising the harmful plus lens method again on other posts and now increasing lens power. Otis impaired his vision fooling around with harmful eyeglass methods, had cataract surgery and lasik on his corneas to correct astigmatism. Bifocal and others; don't fall into that trap. Stay with the Bates Method and if you must wear glasses temporarily; progressively reduce, weaken the power of the lenses until you can go without eyeglasses.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download