MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Central Fixation and Shifting

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Central Fixation and Shifting
Okay forgive me but I'm just tying to clarify things as I am going along, I have red all of David's blog posts and his post on shifting and I think I have the idea. I have also just read bates chapter on central fixation and I could help but notice that shifting and central fixation were the same in some ways.

I have two questions in relation to this.

1. Am I correct that they are basically the same thing?

2. I am myopic, should I start trying to see stuff at close distance and work out or should I just use the chart and try to read as many lines as possible? ( I know that I should be shifting and so on all the time but I'm talking about the 30 minutes a day I devote to just practice )

Hope this will come as help to others as well.
I have a question.

I get students contacting me stating that some teachers tell them that there are many central rays focusing on the fovea. They state that thinking in this way causes their vision, mind to space out, diffusion, like thinking of, trying to see many different points at the same time and this interferes with central-fixation.

I was trained, 'or though my studies, practice, my opinion' that there is one ray that is truly central (not refracted) that focus on the fovea's pit, its exact center and that is the true central-fixation ray that enables you to see tiny details clear. I find this way of seeing, teaching most relaxing; seeing one point at a time but, of course, always continually moving 'shifting'.

I am not saying that I disregard the peripheral, or try to shift point to point every second of the day, but I feel that this central ray function really is how the eye works. When it's perfect, the central vision is very clear and the peripheral takes care of itself; it's also very clear and my brain picks up all areas of the central, peripheral fields, while my eyes, attention is in the central, seeing that most clear. Peripheral is never as exactly clear as the central but is clear, especially closer areas toward the central. Most unclear far outward away from central. I just look where I want, enjoying the entire visual field; each place I look, I face it directly, the central ray moves upon that object and its clear.

I agree that there are many rays focusing on all parts of the retina and many on the macula, fovea, but; I disagree that there are many central rays on the macula fovea. I find it truer to the Bates method to think;
The central ray is not refracted; it travels straight into the eye, focuses on the exact center of the fovea's pit. That one rays sees the tiniest detail clear. Down to the mathematical point Bates talks of.
All other rays on the fovea, macula; I like to consider them as peripheral, 'almost central' but they are refracted so I consider them peripheral. Maybe only a slight refraction but they are refracted.
The rest of the rays on outer areas of retina are no doubt peripheral.

Any ideas? Are there still unending amount of rays even down to the mathematical point; is there a ray right next to that one central ray and is it refracted or not? I think there is only one ray that truly exact central, so very tiny and that is the one non-refracted ray in the center of the fovea's pit.

Another thing;
I notice when reading; to me it seems that the eyes fovea does not shift about on every single letter of a word. Seems sometimes it lands on only one point on one letter of a word, then moves on to another word. The eyes fovea seems to quickly jump about over the words, sentence and the brain picks up the peripheral also, so it understands what the word, sentence is.
Central and peripheral do work together. When looking at a object we move the fovea on the part of interest and the attention of the brain is on the part the eyes-fovea is moving on. And the brain still registers the peripheral but kind of a secondary? or function...
Reading seems a little different; we are using more, other functions of memory, imagination with the eyes-vision.

Here's a link to interesting picture, descriptions; http://www.telescope-optics.net/eye_aberrations.htm

Scroll down and read about all the different AXIS's
I get questions all the time about central fixation, a poorly understood vision improvement concept, and wrote the following post to help clarify it.
http://www.iblindness.org/1411/how-do-i-...-fixation/
Good info Nancy.

I already know this stuff but its mandatory to have it here on blindness for others, so thanks.

Here's my pages where I discuss it;
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id12.html
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id46.html
Shifting and central-fixation combined; http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id56.html

and a new page describing the Pros and Cons of Pinhole glasses;
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id114.html

I am gonna PDF it by tomorrow and place on the iblindness pinholes thread.

Any other opinions? ;
Still my main question needs answer; Is there only ONE exact central ray, the one that's not refracted, the one that focuses on the minute center of the fovea's pit? I know there IS a central ray that is not refracted, not bent and it does focus on the fovea. I believe this is true and it works best when teaching as long as people understand to shift.
the REASONING for shifitng and centralization and relaxation is to trigger the autofocus mechanism of the eye. this will induce a positive stimulus that will change the shape of the eye and lens over time. people fail to understand the science behind this and they "wonder" why they see little results.
Someone that knows about Ophthalmology and the Bates method please answer the central light ray question. David? Old time members? Nancy; you got any eye doc books. All mine are showing the central not refracted and the perip. yes.

Maybe I will get a Skype tune up (since yr. 1999) lesson from Thomas Quackenbush.
Duh; or check his book. Saving up a ton of questions for him; http://www.naturalvisioncenter.com/

I'm burnt today.
its common sense the center is not refracted. use your finger to make a pinhole and hold it up your eye.
It does not take a "medical person" to "figure this out".
(02-16-2014, 11:48 AM)Aethersky Wrote: its common sense the center is not refracted. use your finger to make a pinhole and hold it up your eye.
It does not take a "medical person" to "figure this out".

As vision improves, the center gets smaller and the periphery gets larger. The limiting factor (how small can the area of central vision get?) is for the center to be the size of a single light ray which falls directly on the macula. This doesn't interest me that much. It's of more value to teach students to notice the difference between "center" and "not center" first, then to make the area of central focus smaller.
Yes, I understand the easiest way to teach students, easiest way for them to learn.

I still want (for scientific reasons) to find the best books and a reliable, true ophthalmology, optometry website that goes into detail about the refraction of the light rays in the fovea. I know someone can answer that central ray question and many students like to know the 'details' of how central-fixation works.

Thomas Quackenbush taught me very well. Scroll down this page and see his class in action; http://www.naturalvisioncenter.com/CoursesSeminars.html

Yeah, I know I said I won't come back. Well...
the point of central fixation and shifting is to trigger the autofocus and induce a positive stimulus. All the theories, speculations just complicates things and makes bates people "all over the map". Yes fixation, shifting, etc are VERY important. Like i said, It does not take a "medical person" to "figure this out:.
(02-19-2014, 10:46 AM)Aethersky Wrote: the point of central fixation and shifting is to trigger the autofocus and induce a positive stimulus. All the theories, speculations just complicates things and makes bates people "all over the map". Yes fixation, shifting, etc are VERY important. Like i said, It does not take a "medical person" to "figure this out:.

This is not in accordance with the principles of Bates. Again, you are spouting your own unsupported theories in areas that are inappropriate.
someone is alittle mad. Don't get upset.
bates said the emotions, mind, thoughts are one, they help keep eyesight clear along with central fixation and shifting. clear eyesight for life without the use of plus or minus lenses or HARMFUL "anti corrective lenses".
(02-19-2014, 05:29 PM)Aethersky Wrote: someone is alittle mad. Don't get upset.
bates said the emotions, mind, thoughts are one, they help keep eyesight clear along with central fixation and shifting. clear eyesight for life without the use of plus or minus lenses or HARMFUL "anti corrective lenses".

These types of responses avoid and don't answer the contention, rather are just a type of weak attack on a person's character. Not very logical. A commonplace troll tactic. The fact remains, this topic area is for discussing (as the heading states - "The Bates method, as presented by Dr. Bates in his books, magazines, and articles." Ranting about your own unsupported beliefs in this area is inappropriate.
(02-19-2014, 05:29 PM)Aethersky Wrote: someone is alittle mad. Don't get upset.

Absolute nonsense reply. This person is a bully. People with mental-ego issues that cause them to be abusive (and possibly dangerous if they lived near you) should not be posting on a community forum.
Hi clarknight, Bates also believed that the mind will also help eyesight. A child who was able to see the moons of jupiters became myopic when she did math.
Its important to keep memories strong, mind clear, positive feelings to maintain vision near and far without the uses of lenses. Stress can also be very bad for eyesight, so its important to change ones feelings

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now