MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Vision and breathing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vision and breathing
How important do you find breathing when practising Bates and vision in general?

Personaly I find it very important, maybe even the most important thing. Proper breathing as I understand it: inhale 1/3 of cycle, exhale 2/3 of a cycle (also short pauses when shifting between inhale/exhale included in that 2/3), inhale and exhale steady and relaxed, more concentration on exhale (when the lungs are almost empty inhalation should be easy and natural and still keeping that seady pace), breathing  frequency something around 8-10 breaths (when resting) and the most important thing to make sure that its breathing "from the belly" AKA your abdomen should move freely when breathing AKA should use your diaphragm the whay it was intendet to be used.

I find that when beathing like that my vision improves almost instantaneously (though this efect wasn't very obvious when i started practising Bates, though i found it very important after using Bates for some time. I'm practising this method for 4 months). Also I founf out that it's almost immposible to be stresed or nervous during the time then you breath like that. I dont know if you heard about this observation then some psivhiatrist found out that botox (botulinum toxin which is injected into certain face muscels to remove wrinckles) can be efective when treating depresion because face becomes more or less unable to express sadness properly. My guess that breathing might have similar efect (except that its natural Smile ), because when strest breathing naturaly becomes messy (though we can change something about it since breathing is a partly conscious process). If you get used to that breathing tchnique, you might try one more thing if you want. I find it very relaxing and even a little nipnotising then breathing very deeply but decreasing frequency to 4 (5second for inhale and 10 seconds for exhale,  short pause of aprox 1s each included in that 10s). Try it for 10 minutes or so (lay on the bed or sit steady then doing it).

Also one more problem with messy breathing is the CO2 factor. As we know most mammals (exception seals) jude about the level its blood is saturated with O2 paradoxicly not by how much there is O2 in the blood, but by how much there is CO2 in the blood (more CO2 makes blood more acidic). So the point is then you breath messy you get less O2 for the same acidity of blood then compared to a person who breaths correcly. In both of thes cases brain thinks that O2 saturation is the same for both persons, but actualy for the messy one theres less O2. And as we know oxigen is an absolute necesity for proper vision (various studys confirm that decreased blood circulation promotes myopia). Also stress (on which i was talking above) messes up with NO saturation (which plays major role in immune system and apears to have high impact to vision).

So godspeed, godspeed in your journey in finding good vision while BREATHING! Wink

P.S. sorry for my poor english, its not my native language.
P.S.S. I'm not pretending to be an expert of any kind. A lot of things I was talking is just my personal opinion or observations.
BTW, I wonder if Quackenbush'es book is available online somewhere?
I don't have much to add, but I want to affirm that learning better breathing can be very helpful and can show a positive effect on your vision in less than a minute. I've read all kinds of numbers on how many breaths we should take per minute, but the fact is it's going to vary between people, because of different body sizes, the deepness of a breath, how efficient the lungs are, what they're doing, etc, etc. It's the same kind of thing as how "drink 10 cups of water a day" is too general to have any accurate meaning except to say to drink plenty of water and that 10 glasses or even more is often appropriate. So I think trying to count breaths per minute is overthinking it. The point, after all, is just to keep plenty of oxygen coming in, but not too much, and if you listen to your body it's pretty easy to tell where "too much" is. What I do is keep good posture to allow for lung expansion, keep my nose and throat open wide, almost like yawning (in fact I make tons of little yawns throughout the day), and fill my lungs up well with air because it feels good.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now