MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Depression and the Bates method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depression and the Bates method
Does having depression worsen your efforts to use the Bates method to improve your eye sight? Does it make your eye sight worse? How can someone with depression improve their vision when their illness causes stress?
When you're depressed your energy is low and you don't feel like doing anything, don't feel optimistic and motivated and wanting to reach out, quite the contrary. Go for a walk in the sunshine, get some exercise, spend time with friend, do what makes you feel good. Once your energy is higher the Bates Method (and everything else) may not feel so much like "work", but like fun.
Nancy Wrote:When you're depressed your energy is low and you don't feel like doing anything, don't feel optimistic and motivated and wanting to reach out, quite the contrary. Go for a walk in the sunshine, get some exercise, spend time with friend, do what makes you feel good. Once your energy is higher the Bates Method (and everything else) may not feel so much like "work", but like fun.
So you're saying that it doesn't work if you have depression? There must be no hope for those whom are clinically depressed then.
That's not what I said. If someone is clinically depressed I'd treat this first, then go after the visual limitations once the person's mood is more stable. You sound like you're looking desperately for reasons the Bates Method won't work! "If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Daqwenia Wrote:How can someone with depression improve their vision when their illness causes stress?
Folks here have mentioned how stress is not the issue but rather the response to the stress by strain that causes low vision. Some people just handle stress better than others I think.
In fact, some members here recommend adding some form stress into their eyes, such as reading fine print at a distance close to your nose, or in dim lighting, and then there are the plus lens advocates who add more blur to their vision by wearing plus reading glasses. I guess what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

I say look on the positive side and assume your vision will improve no matter what because you will be making a conscious decision to not see with strain despite all the stress in your life. Do you know how much effort the folks with perfect vision exert to maintain perfect vision. Zero. That's what I like about the Bates Method. It requires zero effort in seeing and you'll get improvement. The key, it seems, is to undo all the effort/strain already in the eyes.
lou_deg Wrote:
Daqwenia Wrote:How can someone with depression improve their vision when their illness causes stress?
Folks here have mentioned how stress is not the issue but rather the response to the stress by strain that causes low vision. Some people just handle stress better than others I think.
In fact, some members here recommend adding some form stress into their eyes, such as reading fine print at a distance close to your nose, or in dim lighting, and then there are the plus lens advocates who add more blur to their vision by wearing plus reading glasses. I guess what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

I say look on the positive side and assume your vision will improve no matter what because you will be making a conscious decision to not see with strain despite all the stress in your life. Do you know how much effort the folks with perfect vision exert to maintain perfect vision. Zero. That's what I like about the Bates Method. It requires zero effort in seeing and you'll get improvement. The key, it seems, is to undo all the effort/strain already in the eyes.

I maintained that mentality until I went back to the optometrist to find out that my prescription hadn't even changed one bit.

Nancy Wrote:That's not what I said. If someone is clinically depressed I'd treat this first, then go after the visual limitations once the person's mood is more stable. You sound like you're looking desperately for reasons the Bates Method won't work! "If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
For many, it could take years to treat clinical depression
Unfortunately, in your circumstances it's probably best just to forget about improving eyesight. Any failure will just make you more depressed.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now