Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You think that's air you're breathing? (3-29-2013)
So when I talk about mental images, I mean actually seeing an image in your mind's eye, in as much detail as you can manage, and examining it continually.

If you focus entirely on what you see without any thought of mental images, you keep your imagination relatively inactive. In doing this you also detract from your perception of form, context, depth, curiosity... It becomes a game of how meaningless you can make what you're looking at, with the idea that if you don't care at all then you won't strain. I would suggest this isn't a healthy thing to do.

If you compare what you see to your mental image, and try to make what you see match what you imagine, you will be most likely straining your eyes. But when you do this I would suggest you're not really paying attention to mental images but instead have more of a vague impression that what you're seeing is not of good enough quality, ie: you know it's blurry and you're trying to fix it. So it's much like what is described in the previous paragraph.

If you focus entirely on mental images, you'll miss some opportunities to see things, but at least you're stimulating your imagination. And with continued practice you get better at visualization, which I would suggest makes you actually see better and gets your eyes to focus better.

If you look around and see what you can, and if you fail you focus on mental images, you've got a pretty good balance going on.

You don't want to get stuck in a logical trap based on incorrect ideas. If you believe that by doing something, something should happen, and it doesn't, you're stuck with either trying again and maybe getting the same result or trying something else that wasn't really part of your plan, like reacting with a hard blink or whatever else you do to try to fix the image you see. So you always want to know what you should do next. Here, you know that if you don't see as much as you want, you can start visualizing it. If you can't visualize it, you can visualize something else, maybe a favorite and simple "go-to" image that you're pretty good at visualizing. If you can't do that, then whatever pops into your head is fine. If you get nothing at all, then practice doing it for longer, or sit quietly and get close to sleep where you may have more vivid imagery. If you keep losing the image, check back at what your eyes see to see if you can see better or see more.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download

Messages In This Thread
Re: You think that's air you're breathing? (3-29-2013) - by David - 03-31-2013, 01:58 PM