MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
I quit.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I quit.
Hi, I have read the success story from ho_from_vietnam
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3074">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3074</a><!-- l -->

I have recently given up on the Bates Method, I've been using it on and off but still pretty consistently over the last 3 years with absolutely no success whatsoever. It's just not for me. So me and also a friend of mine have since a few days ago taken up what is called plus lens therapy, which basically involves wearing a pair of reading glasses (or not, depending on your degree of myopia, if your myopia is very high, you can start off "print pushing" without plus lenses) for near work (reading, working at the computer, eating, etc.) and focusing at the blur point.

Wearing minus lenses when myopic is a no-no, we all agree on that. But here's the thing: myopes should be wearing plus lenses when doing close work and hyperopes should be wearing minus lenses when engaged in distance vision activities

This is basically what Ho from Vietnam has been doing and he himself also says that it was his best exercise:
Quote:+ I am a programmer, work on computer a lot so I wanted to use the computer to help me to improve my vision. So I decided to put the computer screen 5 centimeters further a way from me every week. At first the screen was 30 centimeters away. And up to 11/2008, I can put it 80 to 100 centimeters away and work easily. It was a huge improvement.
+ working on the snellen chart a few time a day.
+ most effective exercise in this period for me was just working on computer (8 hour every day) with the screen put further away every week. Long swing helped too.
Any my main strategy:” putting the computer screen further every week” hit it maximum potential since I can not put the screen more than 1 meter away ( have you ever seen someone that sit 1.5 to 2 meter away from the computer screen at work? lol)
(author's note:this is were you would start wearing plus lenses (minus lenses brings things closer to you, plus lenses do the opposite)
I immediately change the font of my webbrowser to the smallest that I can, zoom out of the webpage to the point text on the browser is so tinny but still sharp and black, and readable. Then I just sit normally ( about 1 meter from the screen) and read the webpage.
And since 2 weeks ago, I just worked on computer, reading webpage with tiny font many hours a day, and my vision improved every day.
What Ho has been doing is print pushing, a part of plus lens therapy (he did it without actually wearing plus lenses, you don't actually need plus lenses until you can't move further away from your computer screen anymore, then you can start wearing +1D and incrementally move on from there). Read his story and notice how incredibly fast he progressed, he went from 20/200 to 20/40 in 6 months. The only things he did was print pushing (moving a book/computer screen away from oneself until text almost starts to blur but is still readable, effectively fooling the eyes into thinking they're engaged in distance vision work and thereby compressing the eye instead of elongating it), Snellen chart work, and long swing. Hands down, 100%, it was Ho's print pushing that resulted in his incredible improvement in eyesight. Snellen chart and long swing most likely contributed almost nothing to that success. I myself used to do Snellen chart work everyday for 10 minutes and long swing everyday for 20 minutes for 4 months straight and it did absolutely nothing. Then I recently started doing print pushing/plus lens therapy and already on the second day, my vision started clearing up for the first time in years. My friend started at around the same time and he said he has already cleared TWO lines on the Snellen chart. I don't use a Snellen myself anymore but I noticed recently that I can finally somewhat make out those darn license plates that for years appeared blurry to me.

For me, it is my 3rd day of doing print pushing/wearing reading glasses with a patch on my weaker eye during close work, and ALREADY I know my eye is remodeling itself rapidly, I see clearer, I am basically seeing actual, tangible results after only 3 days of plus lens therapy compared to seeing ABSOLUTELY NO IMPROVEMENT WHATSOEVER after 3 YEARS of various exercises, stretching, many many "natural vision improvement" books and the Bates Method of palming, sunning, swinging, and other techniques and vision habits.

I still do palming occasionally to relax. I still do a few minutes of sunning whenever I can because sunlight IS necessary for the eyes, whether it improves vision or not. I still like to do the long swing after a hard day of work to unwind.

But I no longer use these techniques anymore with the hope of improving my vision, but solely for the above mentioned benefits (simple relaxation).

I feel quite sad when I think of all the time (up to 1 to 2 hours everyday of palming, sunning. swinging, using central fixation) that I have wasted away with NO results at all...not even a clear flash (my "clear flashes" wear the ones you sometimes get when you blink a certain way, wikipedia mentions this on the Bates Method page)

There is actual experimental research and many many papers out there concerning the use of the plus lens for reversing myopia, while there is barely any reliable evidence at all that the Bates Method works, besides anecdotal evidence and some papers from the '70s or whatever. I have seen the Bates Method debunked over and over again, but I kept at it because I REALLY wanted to recover my eyesight. Sadly, I have been extremely disappointed. I write this post not to discourage people from using the Bates Method, just to make clear that it did nothing for me and my friend whatsoever, and with the hope that more people for whom the Bates Method has not helped at all, will look into reversing myopia through the use of plus lenses or reversing hyperopia through the use of minus lenses. I truly believe that plus lens therapy is far more effective and supported by science than the Bates Method is.

Also, wearing plus lenses relaxes my eyes more than any amount of time of palming has ever done. I do close work with plus lenses for up to 15 minutes at a time, I take them off, and my eyes feel like they have been bathed in cool water. Amazing

I know that the user clarkknight is opposed to using ANY sort of glasses at all. I have to agree, I try to use reading glasses only for a short amount of time every day. Most of the day I just use the print pushing technique without any plus lenses whatsoever. If you do not want to wear any glasses, print pushing is the way to go. Look it up, it is simply amazing.
Avoid the plus lens. It really will lower your eyes health. Might not show right away. That's how they fool you. Think of your future, even only a few months or year from now.

All eyeglasses, contacts cause eye muscle tension.
When you use the minus lens, the oblique muscles tighten the most, become tense and press on the eye, lengthen it. Causes tension, abnormal eye pressure...
When you use the Plus lens, the recti muscles tighten the most, become tense and pull on the eye, shortening it. Causes tension, abnormal eye pressure...
Either way; with minus or plus the eye and it's muscles are under strain. Abnormal pressure, tension, stretching occurs on/in the eyes, lens, retina, cornea, optic nerve. All parts of the eye.

Both type of eyeglasses tense, weaken the ciliary muscle and the lens natural movement, accommodation, un-accommodation. It freezes up. Circulation in the eye lowers. As hydration, nutrients do not reach the lens, it leads to cataract. The pressure, pulling on the eye leads to pulling on the capillaries, vessels in the retina...

Eye doctors have discovered that the action of the lens, its ciliary muscle when the lens changes shape also causes the eye to change shape during this process. Tension in any eye muscles impairs this natural function.

Try this to improve your close vision by reading fine print and ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knHMjB7T39A

If some people want to stay with the plus lens and talk about it, advise it, they should do this on Otis or De Angelis or the I see forums so people here are not lead astray and end up with eye-vision injury.

Why post here on a true Bates method forum when the forum you prefer is elsewhere?
Yes I will stop wearing the reading glasses from now, thank you for your post in the other topic. Please disregard the whole "lenses" and "glasses" thing in my opening post, I can't edit them out anymore.

I will keep on using the print pushing like ho_from_vietnam did, however. He said that it was his best exercise in the first 6 months, he went from 20/200 to 20/40!!! I can attest to the effectiveness of print pushing, it has done more for me in the last three days than the entire Bates Method has done for me in the last three YEARS, namely, ZERO, ZILCH, NEGATIVE, NOTHING.

And I'm trying so hard not to go overboard in bashing the Bates Method, and I DON'T mean to offend any practitioners who DO experience success with the Bates techniques, but for me, I think of all the time I have wasted with it, and it just makes me sad.
Is the print pushing done with plus lens or with no glasses?

Re post the print pushing, I can't find it in ho's; thread. Too tired out today.

I don't mean to hard on you. I just get knots in my gut when students on Skype with all kinds eye problems from glasses. It's sad but we are all here to help eachother.
clarknight you are not being hard on me. In fact I am the one who is feeling like a total dick right now for this topic that I opened. I admit I wrote it in a fit of fury from not seeing results after three years of on and off (couple of months break here and there) but still consistently working with the Bates Method, and then I find out about print pushing/plus lens therapy from another website and I see actual results and CONSTANT clear flashes. I just got too excited I guess and had to vent

I do exactly what ho_from_vietnam did, print pushing without lenses. I have never worn any minus lenses so I don't worry about that. I've only been wearing plus lenses for the last three days, but I will drop them now. I still do palming and sunning and swinging but solely for relaxation purposes - they will not improve my eyesight by even one bit. In fact my vision got worse in the last three years...but it's getting better now
Nick,

As Sgt. Gibbs says "No biggie". I can be thick headed sometimes cause I haven't had glasses since high school, 2 days in the Army in 1977 so I have to learn how people that have been stuck with glasses for a long time feel.

Still not sure what print pushing is? Please copy/paste 'ho's thing' here.

Try doing the fine print with no glasses. Closer and closer and practice til can see all close distances. Sounds crazy but reading that tiny print breaks up all the tension in the eyes, lens and also acts like the plus lens in some ways; it shortens the eyes but at same time lengthens it but only to the exact small amount that occurs with the lens' accommodation. In the end you get a nice round eye that accommodates perfect. This also automatically improves far vision.

Didn't know you are 3 years reading glasses. That not bad!1 Those stupid plus lens guys! How dare they tell you to use the very thing you need to get away from. Ahhhh! Skype me; mary.oliver981. I teach free to anyone on IB. I think 1-2 Bates Method practices weren't done or something?? and that may be the main practice you need. I can send you copies of these books if you like; http://www.amazon.com/William-H.-Bates/e/B004H9DOBC They are on Googlebooks too; https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tb...rs&tbm=bks

Have you done the weaker and weaker lenses thing? It's next best to no glasses.

Palming and sunning and swinging; dump it if it's not working. Bates says this is normal, one thing works for one person but not another.

So vision is getting better now; something is working. Reversal of the reading glass strength and, if you can do it now; just dump the glasses. If no; you will need a weaker pair because the fine print and that card I showed you in the video should improve the vision to the level that the present glasses will be too strong.

Didn't mean to insinuate you are Otis people. I mean a few sneak on here, so be aware.

I am happy you wrote to me.
I mean I'm sorry but I'm just so excited right now. I keep reading that palming is supposed to clear up your vision a little bit, and that by the end of the session you will, for a few seconds up to a few minutes, have clearer vision.

I used to palm every day for up to an hour. NOTHING. No improved vision after the session, not even a tiny little bit.

Then I come across the print pushing method:
Quote:Step 1. Find your starting range of focus:

“Take off your prescription lenses and put this page right on the end of your nose. Now push the print slowly away until it becomes clear and in focus, and stop. Now close each eye and see which one is sending the clear image to your brain. You have just entered the range of focus of your better close vision eye. It dominates for all close work…Now open both eyes, and slowly push the print away until the very first indication that the print is no longer perfectly clear and in focus, and stop…You have just found the limit of your range of focus for that eye”.

Step 2: Push your eyes to increase their range of focus.

For myopes, this is done by repeatedly pushing a printed page just slightly outside the range of focus, and allowing it to sharpen up or “clear”. (For hyperopes, the page is pulled closer until it blurs, then allowed to clear). The eye gradually adapts to increase its range. This can be done with different objects at different ranges. So it can be done with fine print close up, but also with larger objects in the distance. It is especially useful to focus on sharp lines, such as overhead electrical transmission lines, and houses or trees with sharp edges.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gettingstronger.org/2010/07/improve-eyesight-and-throw-away-your-glasses/">http://gettingstronger.org/2010/07/impr ... r-glasses/</a><!-- m -->

I do this for THREE DAYS and EVERY TIME I get up from my PC, my vision is close to 20/40 or 20/30 for five to ten minutes. These periods of clearer vision are getting longer and more stable.

I have come across the MAGIC EXERCISE that works for me. Improving vision while reading??? COUNT ME IN!

I hope anyone reading this will consider trying it out, whether you have success with the Bates Method or not.
clarknight Wrote:Nick,
Still not sure what print pushing is? Please copy/paste 'ho's thing' here.
It's in the opening post at the top of this topic, I quoted from Ho's topic. I believe it is the MAGIC BULLET exercise for me, and I am NOT exaggerating ;D ;D ;D
clarknight Wrote:Nick,
Didn't know you are 3 years reading glasses. That not bad!
No no no lol I have only been wearing reading glasses for the last three days! But I have completely dropped them now thanks to your information. Naked eyes will do just fine
So after you print push, your clear vision lasts 10 minutes? So I'm assuming it's multi-blink proof, all ranges? or does it reset on each blink and comes back into focus within a few seconds?
Found it. So he's placing the computer farther and farther away without using glasses. This is pretty cool!

I find the compute r like the tv; up close for hours; eyes uncomfortable. But in distance I can watch tv all night.

Oh, only 3 days. So you don't wear any type of glasses?

The fine print is different than the computer; it works but you have to read it on paper, no computer screen and the closer you can read and get it clear, (to cure presbyopia) the better the vision becomes. And automatically improves distant. I get to 1 inch from eyes. Some days if on computer for hours its fuzzy but keep shifting on it and relax and it flashes clear. At very close, up to eyelashes it does a magnifier like thing. I know a old lady ion 70's that does this. Some days she beats me in contests on bus home.

My neck is so messed up today from all this website work on new host server so will be back here tomorrow.

Nice talking to you.
shocker Wrote:So after you print push, your clear vision lasts 10 minutes? So I'm assuming it's multi-blink proof, all ranges? or does it reset on each blink and comes back into focus within a few seconds?
^^^those are the types of clear flashes I used to have while practicing the Bates Method, as noted on wikipedia:
Quote:Marg concluded that the Bates method owed its popularity largely to "flashes of clear vision" experienced by many who followed it.[2] Such occurrences have since been determined to most likely be a contact lens-like effect of moisture on the eye.[6]
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method</a><!-- m -->

The clear vision I have been enjoying since print pushing LASTS for minutes and does not go away when I blink. These periods are getting longer and more stable.

I just cannot contain myself right now ;D ;D ;D ;D
clarknight Wrote:Found it. So he's placing the computer farther and farther away without using glasses. This is pretty cool!

I find the compute r like the tv; up close for hours; eyes uncomfortable. But in distance I can watch tv all night.

Oh, only 3 days. So you don't wear any type of glasses?

The fine print is different than the computer; it works but you have to read it on paper, no computer screen and the closer you can read and get it clear, (to cure presbyopia) the better the vision becomes. And automatically improves distant. I get to 1 inch from eyes. Some days if on computer for hours its fuzzy but keep shifting on it and relax and it flashes clear. At very close, up to eyelashes it does a magnifier like thing. I know a old lady ion 70's that does this. Some days she beats me in contests on bus home.

My neck is so messed up today from all this website work on new host server so will be back here tomorrow.

Nice talking to you.
Thank you for your valuable information. I am very interested in presbyopia as you mentioned above. Apparently presbyopia is inevitable and natural as we age, but I guess it maybe can be prevented?
I was messing with print pushing today. So turns out up to like 5-6 inches of distance from text my eyes have a blur to clear transition each time I blink. The strain is well balanced, like it's constnat around my eyes and it's where it should be if that makes sense. If I go any further back not only is it less likely to clear, but the strain goes full retard. Like it makes no physical sense, I feel it forming up into a ball and unrravelling, sometimes to one side of my eye sometimes to the other.

This is interesting and I'm glad you brought this topic up. I realized that most of my previous flashes were like the one on wikipedia and I was beginning to get seriously discouraged.
Hey shocker that is great to hear. Yes in my case too the only clear flashes I had were the ones as described on wikipedia.

I have since a couple of days ago taken up print pushing and am doing it with ALL near work whether it's reading a book, writing, sitting behind a computer screen, etc. Everyday I notice I'm sitting further and further away from my PC screen (varying font sizes are taken into account).

I urge you, shocker, and anyone else like me who has not had any success whatsoever with the Bates Method to read these pages, preferably in order, it will explain everything:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gettingstronger.org/rehabilitation/">http://gettingstronger.org/rehabilitation/</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gettingstronger.org/2010/07/improve-eyesight-and-throw-away-your-glasses/">http://gettingstronger.org/2010/07/impr ... r-glasses/</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gettingstronger.org/2012/04/how-one-person-improved-his-vision/">http://gettingstronger.org/2012/04/how- ... is-vision/</a><!-- m -->
(optional but very helpful): <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/board,4.0.html?PHPSESSID=tjghp798ofib0fre5uhap163c6">http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index. ... 5uhap163c6</a><!-- m -->

The reason plus lenses are used is because you're eventually going to reach a limit with naked eye print pushing (like ho_from_vietnam did, read his success story as well!). Your arms are only so long so you can't hold a book that far away. Plus lenses pushes everything further away from you so you can continue getting that blur that you need to stimulate your eyes.

However, use plus lenses at your own risk, I have dropped them after clarknight made it clear that they are not to be worn without risking your helath. Luckily I've only been weaing them for three days. And I can still do print pushing with naked eyes. I'm just going to have to get a wireless keyboard or something, soon, because my arms are almost at their limit, totally stretched out (and I have long arms) Smile

Again I'd like to say I am NOT trying to bash the Bates Method and its practitioners or I'm some spy working for Otis Brown trying to take people away from here O0 I have recently opened another topic titled "The reason the Bates Method worked better a century ago?" in which I surmise that the Bates Method worked better for the people in the early 20th century and how we live in different timee today, and thus the Bates Method does not deserve to bashed or "debunked". It has served its purpose back then but it is less effectieve today because we have created an environment tha requires more reading and has more screens around us everywhere for hours upon hours uopn hours a day, than ever. This means most of us today suffer from a different type of myopia that cannot be effectively treated with the Bates Method, but requires a different approach. We have to actually reshape the eyeball (compressing it instead of elongating it) to reverse myopia. At least that is why I have read on the pages linked to above.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now