MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Programmer starting Bates method - I need help!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Programmer starting Bates method - I need help!
Hi all. I am writing from Australia and I first heard about the Bates method 7 or more years ago. Straight away it made sense to me - there were enough testimonials showing it's success as well as good reasons why optometrists would never support it. I always wanted to practice it but never got around to it.....until now. I'm 29 and I've had glasses since I was around 11. I'm SICK of wearing them and I am now highly motivated to fix my myopia. ;D

In preparation, I have done an eye test around three weeks ago. Here are the results:

OD: -3.75 -1.00 x 90

Compared to a test nearly 3 years ago:

OD: -3.50 -1.00 x 90

That is the prescription I've been wearing for almost three years.

I am starting to change my habits, i.e. looking into the far distance, focusing on detail/points, trying to look around a lot and not stare, ignoring my peripheral vision, reading small text, etc. Next I plan to start palming, swinging, shifting and sunning. Here's the problem: I am a computer programmer so I use a computer a LOT. I've moved my desk at work so I can look out a window longer distance but if I go 'cold turkey' and remove my glasses, I need to be about 40cm from a screen to read size 12 text, and that is very difficult (30cm is somewhat comfortably readable). I also need two screens for my work, which complicates this further.

I have some questions:

1. Given my profession, how do you all recommend I fix this? As much as I would love to, I can't 100% avoid glasses for the time being. How do I balance wearing them, working, exercising/healing, etc.?

2. Further... I was thinking I should keep wearing glasses at work until the exercises fix my eyes enough that I can remove them to see the screen. Is this a good idea? Will my eyes still heal if I wear them at work? Will progress be a lot slower?

3. Aside from work, I need glasses for driving and am in need of a new pair as my current ones are very scratched. I can see well enough with my old prescription and I don't want to increase the strength. I have also read that if astigmatism is -2.00 or lower, you can remove it from a prescription and your astigmatism will heal and adjust much quicker than fixing the myopia (is this true???). What prescription should I get for new glasses? Exactly the same as my current prescription that I've worn for three years? The same, OD -3.50 and OS -3.75, but with no cylindrical correction? Or should I go even weaker still? (i.e. OD -3.25 and OS -3.50, or even OD -3.00 and OS -3.25?) I need the glasses ASAP but would be happy to lose some eyesight if it benefits my exercises and healing, as long as I can drive safely and see at work.

I am dedicated to fixing this once and for all. I just feel like it will be a challenge because I need to ditch my glasses to heal, but I need them for my work...catch 22. :Smile

Thanks for reading (if you made it this far!) and thanks to David and all for this fantastic community. Smile I am very open to suggestions and guidance so please, if anyone has any advice, please help me out! ;D
Hi

I am a programmer too. And straining when programming is not very far away, When you see a bug, and cannot fix it, you automatically start straining. Notice and identify your straining and look away, massage around your eyes and build up confidence. Moving your head when programming really helps to relieve strain.

I see you are determined, If you are, the method of swinging the monitor insider your head really helps relieve a lot of strain. The monitor is constantly swinging in the back of your head when you see naturally. Just think about that!

Also a word about clear flashes. Clear flashes to my experience might not always be related to physical vision improvement, but a spiritual one, I know that you might not very much believe that. But this is my take on it. There is not one world out there, there are infinite parallel Earths, each residing on a different vibratory levels, and when you get a clear flash, it might not be related to this dimension, it would seem much clearer. So naturally we are frightened that it might go away, and it will, and it is natural, because still we have that physical strain that needs to be released, and it will be after persistent release of strain, central fixation will lock into position.

All the best
Elias
Hi Elias, thanks for your advice! I'm taking my glasses off some days when I work (slowly increasing frequency). I'm 35-50cm from the two screens and managing to read the text as I have increased the font sizes a lot. It is still very blurry sometimes - if I relax I can guess the blurry words mostly accurately. There's a window I can look out now, so I can easily look short or long distance (at trees too, which is relaxing - I try to imagine the detail and jump from point to point). I am slowly getting used to not using glasses, doing exercises etc., as I do not want to overwhelm myself. If I suddenly stop wearing glasses totally I will just stress and strain more. Relaxation seems to be a very important part of fixing this so I'm taking my time to change my habit. Smile

When not wearing glasses I do feel a little uncomfortable as I'm effectively blind, but I am building "confidence" about what I CAN see (even if it's blurry!). The best way to describe it is my eye muscles feel highly atrophied and I need to get them back into shape! For example, today I took my glasses off and looked around. Within 10~15 seconds I had a sharp pain in one of my eyes (like a migraine headache). That tells me that my glasses are doing bad things, and are stopping my eyes from doing what they want to do naturally. I need to fix that!

Interesting what you said about clear flashes. I don't want to get too off-topic but I believe there's definitely a spiritual element to it too, IF you're receptive. There are so many things we do not understand about medicine, our existence, etc. My feeling is that many emotional issues (stress, strain, trauma, fear, laziness, etc.) can manifest themselves spiritually, both of which cause physical problems for people...it all seems related. Not saying you need to believe in anything spiritual for the Bates Method to work, however I believe it can help to see the bigger picture. Smile A healthy diet, little exercise and sunlight seem important too.

Does anyone have any advice about my prescription? I'm urgently in need of new glasses (current ones are very scratched). I haven't noticed my astigmatism or distortion without glasses (although my eyesight is quiet blurry). I feel like perhaps I should do OD -3.00 and OS -3.25 with no astigmatism correction, as that should be enough to drive a car and use glasses when necessary, but I'm not 100% sure...what do you all think, given my current prescription above?
Its always faster to improve without glasses but we must see to work...;

When you get new glasses, be sure to get a weaker, reduced pair. Not so weak that it's uncomfortable but must be reduced strength so the mind, eye muscles can relax, eyes, eyesight have room to improve. Strong 20/20 clarity and clearer than 20/20 glasses prevent relaxation, normal eye function and improvement.

Try for no astigmatism sections; the astigmatism prescription keeps the astigmatism in the eyes and increases it, creates new forms of it. If you can't totally remove the astigmatism prescription right away; reduce it.
Thanks Mary. I'm thinking I will get -3.00 / -3.25 with no astigmatism correction as it's a good balance until I improve.

Today I worked 90% of the time without glasses. It's an odd sensation however I can notice how strained I was and how my eyes are trying to adjust and relax.

As mentioned, when working I am close to the monitor, using large text. I am forcing myself to sit the bare minimum distance to be able to read. The words are still quite blurry but I can understand and read them quickly without straining. Is this print pushing, correct? It feels like when I do this, I get very small momentary fluctuations/improvements (almost insignificant but they're there as I have to keep altering the distance).
Your welcome BlindAussie

Click to my website. It's all free. 17 PDF e-books, everything you need. All Dr. Bates magazines, books.

http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id120.html Wait for the page to move, then click the link to the e-books page.

I do Skype free when I am signed in.
No appointments due to way too many students this year. Soon as ones gone, new pop up.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now