MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Success with Hyperopia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Success with Hyperopia?
To introduce myself:  I am 40 yrs old and have had hyperopia (+5.00D) since childhood.  Has anyone had any experience with reducing this?  I tried the Bates method (palming, sunning, breathing and other exercises) for about 2 weeks and still do not notice any improvement in my eyesight.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Rgds,
Chusmis
Dear Chusmis,

I know that the eye tends to "adapt" to the plus lens, with
your eye slowly going more positive.

I am curious.  When you got your first plus prescription,
did  you wear it all the time?

Did anyone suggest at a younger age that you
avoid wearing the "plus" all the time?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Otis
Hi Chusmis,

Please describe what you've been doing so far - in heavy detail one or two things is enough. When you're not getting anything out of any of the Bates exercises, it's hard to pinpoint what you're doing wrong by just a description given by you on the internet (if you don't know what you're doing wrong then you mihgt not mention it), but I think it's worth a shot.

Also, do you wear your glasses all the time, or just for close tasks?

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Before I got my first prescription (at age eight), I used to cross my eyes to be able to see better.  The glasses (+4.5D) "cured" the crossing of the eyes.  I was advised to wear my glasses all the time.  Since that time, the glasses have gone just a little more stronger.

Two years ago I was introduced to the Bates method.  I have been trying many things off and on.

-  Palming while imagining "black"
-  Sprinkling cold water on the eyes to "tone" them
-  Breathing exercises (helps me relax my eyes)
-  Sunning (when there is no sun - using a tungsten lamp)
-  Eye Exercises (tromboning, focusing, etc)
-  Wearing glasses only when needed

Hope this gives some clues.

Rgds,
Chusmis
Hi Chusmis,

Actually I meant more along the lines of describing in heavy detail one or two things. For example, saying you do palming doesn't tell us anything - What do you think about? How do you feel? How does that change? Do you visualize anything? What physical position do you do it in? Are you breathing? How are you placing your hands? How long do you palm for? How often? In the absence of being with you one-on-one to watch and instruct you, we would need to know these things so we can give pointers.

Some things like tromboning, unless you're doing it in a way that I haven't seen described before, isn't a part of the Bates method and will likely just confuse you as to what you should be learning about using your eyes better.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Hello Chusmis,
          Have you read my posts on farsightedness?
          Why dont you try to purchase an inexpensive pair of minus .50 glasses online at Zenni Optical, and wear them as often as you can tolerate them. Vision at first will not be too great, but if you can do some near work with them on, you will get used to them quicker. After a while your vision will get better with and without the glasses.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now