MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How to do Bates Method? I need a little help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to do Bates Method? I need a little help
Hello.

I'm a guy that always had a 20/20 vision but, after I stopped going out everyday (playing tennis, basket, football, and just going out at night), I'm having some issues to see things that are far away (so I think I have some myopia due to my use of computers, I pass most of the time in the PC so I see perfectly when I'm near but bad when I'm far). The thing is that I'm going to start this Bates Method to see if I can improve my vision ot what I had before (or, at least, better than I just have) before I have to use glasses. I hope that I can have success since my loss of vision is due to "overusing" my near vision, so I think that training and relaxing the muscles I can recover my far vision. The only problem with this is that I don't know what exercises are most people over here doing and would really know what exercises should I do to improve my vision. I have read most of the Bates Method book but still dunno what to do to start doing this method. Could someone please help me and explain me the exercises a little? Thank you a lot.

By the way, sorry for my expression errors, I'm not a native english speaker so may have lots of errors over there ^^'
Have you ever worn glasses? If not, you are very fortunate! Take a look at this link:

http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...sses/ch24/

In this link, Bates says that adults and children who have not worn glasses simply need to read the test card with one eye at a time (covering the other eye), from 10-20 feet away. Read the smallest letters you can.

Here is the test card you want: http://eyetestnow.com/images/snellen_blo...m_test.pdf

Make sure you disable "Fit to Page" in printing options to get the correct size letters. Tape this eye chart permanently to your wall in good light.

Do this for 30 seconds or more a day. That's it!

Bates says that adults are benefited by this method in a week or two and are cured within 3-6 months.

You are lucky if you have not worn glasses. In the link I posted above, Bates says that people who have worn glasses will need to perform special exercises and practice with the test card for 1 hour or more a day. That is a lot of work compared to your 30 seconds a day!

I would also take a look at this chapter from Bates:

http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...sses/ch17/

In this chapter, Bates says that the sun is good for the eyes. Maybe, when you were playing sports, you were getting plenty of sunlight which was healthy for your eyes, but now since you are indoors on the computer you aren't getting enough sunlight. I experience something similar. When I have been outside in the bright sun for a while, my vision improves to about 20/20. But after going inside or on a cloudy day, my vision is around 20/40.

One more thing, your vision is bad for far away things because you are straining to see far away things. Bad vision for far away things is NOT because you are straining at near things. It is because you are straining to see far away things. How do I know this? I am just copying exactly what Bates said from this link:

http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...ve-errors/

All of the links above are from Bates's book, which is free here: http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...t-glasses/

It is a long read. Don't read it now. Just read the first link I posted and get started with the eye chart I posted. Do not get glasses, and I am confident your vision will be 20/20 or better in 6 months or less!
(12-29-2013, 08:26 PM)panda Wrote: Have you ever worn glasses? If not, you are very fortunate! Take a look at this link:

http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...sses/ch24/

In this link, Bates says that adults and children who have not worn glasses simply need to read the test card with one eye at a time (covering the other eye), from 10-20 feet away. Read the smallest letters you can.

Here is the test card you want: http://eyetestnow.com/images/snellen_blo...m_test.pdf

Make sure you disable "Fit to Page" in printing options to get the correct size letters. Tape this eye chart permanently to your wall in good light.

Do this for 30 seconds or more a day. That's it!

Bates says that adults are benefited by this method in a week or two and are cured within 3-6 months.

You are lucky if you have not worn glasses. In the link I posted above, Bates says that people who have worn glasses will need to perform special exercises and practice with the test card for 1 hour or more a day. That is a lot of work compared to your 30 seconds a day!

I would also take a look at this chapter from Bates:

http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...sses/ch17/

In this chapter, Bates says that the sun is good for the eyes. Maybe, when you were playing sports, you were getting plenty of sunlight which was healthy for your eyes, but now since you are indoors on the computer you aren't getting enough sunlight. I experience something similar. When I have been outside in the bright sun for a while, my vision improves to about 20/20. But after going inside or on a cloudy day, my vision is around 20/40.

One more thing, your vision is bad for far away things because you are straining to see far away things. Bad vision for far away things is NOT because you are straining at near things. It is because you are straining to see far away things. How do I know this? I am just copying exactly what Bates said from this link:

http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...ve-errors/

All of the links above are from Bates's book, which is free here: http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...t-glasses/

It is a long read. Don't read it now. Just read the first link I posted and get started with the eye chart I posted. Do not get glasses, and I am confident your vision will be 20/20 or better in 6 months or less!

Really thanks for the reply. I did have glasses when I was a child, but not 'cause of myopia, only for astigmatism, so never had "something" that made me change my near/far vision. Anyway, had them really shor time, so hope this will help me =) I'll start with doing this, and I'll say if it seems to work in 2 weeks or so. Again, thanks for the reply Wink
Sure,
Nr1: Keep the natural vision habits that you were born with. It ought to be programmed in you mind. For instance everyone knows where the clearest point is (central vision) and thus you can easily follow details dynamically if you are aware of the details that you are looking at. This is programmed, but the myopic problem is that tension in the eye muscles distorts the programmed natural visual habits.
Nr2, The Long Swing: Improves the connection between the mind's eye and the distant central vision. In other words it relaxes the dynamic seeing of details. Do long swing 50 times before going to bed and 50 times when you wake up.
Nr3, Palming: Improves imagination which is essentially following the same rules as vision. Palming also relaxes the complete body as it relaxes the central nervous system. Seeing blackness is a metaphor of relaxed seeing. Do palming in bed before you go to sleep until you fall asleep and in the morning.
Nr4: Eye aerobics is actually really good for the health of your eyes. It cleans your eyes (there is a lot of dirt in the eyes, need to be cleaned) and makes your eyes much healthier. Astigmatism might disappear when doing eye aerobics. If you are experienced you can do eye aerobics while palming with open eyes, letting a bit of air coming in through your hand without letting light coming in.

Only a passionate work makes perfect result.

(12-29-2013, 01:08 PM)Nophun Wrote: Could someone please help me and explain me the exercises a little?
(12-30-2013, 05:47 PM)hammer Wrote: Sure,
Nr1: Keep the natural vision habits that you were born with. It ought to be programmed in you mind. For instance everyone knows where the clearest point is (central vision) and thus you can easily follow details dynamically if you are aware of the details that you are looking at. This is programmed, but the myopic problem is that tension in the eye muscles distorts the programmed natural visual habits.
Nr2, The Long Swing: Improves the connection between the mind's eye and the distant central vision. In other words it relaxes the dynamic seeing of details. Do long swing 50 times before going to bed and 50 times when you wake up.
Nr3, Palming: Improves imagination which is essentially following the same rules as vision. Palming also relaxes the complete body as it relaxes the central nervous system. Seeing blackness is a metaphor of relaxed seeing. Do palming in bed before you go to sleep until you fall asleep and in the morning.
Nr4: Eye aerobics is actually really good for the health of your eyes. It cleans your eyes (there is a lot of dirt in the eyes, need to be cleaned) and makes your eyes much healthier. Astigmatism might disappear when doing eye aerobics. If you are experienced you can do eye aerobics while palming with open eyes, letting a bit of air coming in through your hand without letting light coming in.

(12-29-2013, 01:08 PM)Nophun Wrote: Could someone please help me and explain me the exercises a little?

Thanks for the reply mate Smile But I don't understand 2 things. Frist one is what do you mean with "long swings"? I would do that, but dunno what have to do xD
And the other thing is... what kind of eye aerobics should I do? A thing that I'm doing this days is to use almost all the time the far vision instead of near (that was the one I used most time this last year) and trying to do the things I used to do but farest than I used to do (for example, when I'm on the computer the monitor is put some cm farest, and I'm sit some centimeters farest too). Also, I'm trying to watch details on all the things I watch so I have to keep my eyes constantly moving. With all that things I improved a little my vision, so seems to work. Will be working on it to get the vision I had before, and thinking that this "vision problems" came recently, I think I started doing it really fast, and think that will help too. Well, will keep coming over here Wink
(12-31-2013, 11:24 AM)Nophun Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 05:47 PM)hammer Wrote: Sure,

Thanks for the reply mate Smile But I don't understand 2 things. Frist one is what do you mean with "long swings"? I would do that, but dunno what have to do xD
And the other thing is... what kind of eye aerobics should I do? A thing that I'm doing this days is to use almost all the time the far vision instead of near (that was the one I used most time this last year) and trying to do the things I used to do but farest than I used to do (for example, when I'm on the computer the monitor is put some cm farest, and I'm sit some centimeters farest too). Also, I'm trying to watch details on all the things I watch so I have to keep my eyes constantly moving. With all that things I improved a little my vision, so seems to work. Will be working on it to get the vision I had before, and thinking that this "vision problems" came recently, I think I started doing it really fast, and think that will help too. Well, will keep coming over here Wink

While the long swing refers to any sway that is longer than a few inches, one usually starts is with the longest rendition of it. (you will find many useful tips on all techniques if you read the Bates Magazines) In Bates May '26 magazine, he states:

"THAT the long swing not only improves the vision, but also relieves or cures pain, discomfort and fatigue.

Stand with the feet about one foot apart, facing squarely one side of the room. Lift the left heel a short distance from the floor while turning the shoulders, head, and eyes to the right, until the line of the shoulders is parallel with the wall. Now turn the body to the left after placing the left heel upon the floor and raising the right heel. Alternate looking from the right wall to the left wall, being careful to move the head and eyes with the movement of the shoulders. When practiced easily, continuously, without effort and without paying any attention to moving objects, one soon becomes conscious that the long swing relaxes the tension of the muscles and nerves.

Stationary objects move with varying degrees of rapidity. Objects located almost directly in front of you appear to move with express train speed and should be very much blurred. It is very important to make no attempt to see clearly objects which seem to be moving very rapidly."
(12-29-2013, 01:08 PM)Nophun Wrote: Hello.

I'm a guy that always had a 20/20 vision but, after I stopped going out everyday (playing tennis, basket, football, and just going out at night), I'm having some issues to see things that are far away (so I think I have some myopia due to my use of computers, I pass most of the time in the PC so I see perfectly when I'm near but bad when I'm far). The thing is that I'm going to start this Bates Method to see if I can improve my vision ot what I had before (or, at least, better than I just have) before I have to use glasses. I hope that I can have success since my loss of vision is due to "overusing" my near vision, so I think that training and relaxing the muscles I can recover my far vision. The only problem with this is that I don't know what exercises are most people over here doing and would really know what exercises should I do to improve my vision. I have read most of the Bates Method book but still dunno what to do to start doing this method. Could someone please help me and explain me the exercises a little? Thank you a lot.

By the way, sorry for my expression errors, I'm not a native english speaker so may have lots of errors over there ^^'

Hello. I am not sure how to explain Bate's method exercises as I have not mastered them all myself yet. However, I noticed my vision also deteriorated at the same time I stopped playing sports and started staring at screens more. I think, if you are able to play more sports again without using glasses, you should definitely try it. You will naturally regain clearer focus of the ball again as long as you keep taking deep long breaths and keep reminding yourself to be as relaxed and confident as possible.

I think part of the reason I stopped playing the sports I enjoyed was the lack of confidence I had in myself at that time. I consider my blurred vision to be a result of my over-stressed brain - the eye shape is then a result of that brain. I find, in moments when I completely let any tension go, I receive very clear flashes of vision again.

There is no better way to relieve tension of the mind and body than doing an exercise you enjoy. Therefore, when you find something that works for you by studying Bate's method, try incorporating it into a sport you gave up that you enjoyed when you had clearer vision.
I was some days trying this and the first day I couldn't see the 10/20 lane clear. Now, I can see it really clear and can see also the 10/15 lane, not full clear but can see it. Also, most of the strain I had is dissapearing. Today I'm including long swings to my habit. I do Snellen chart training 4-5 times a day for 1-2 minutes. I'm really thinking I have a pseudomyopia or accommodative spasm, if not I think I would improve but not this fast =S

Now I see things really better I saw it some days ago. Hope I can get my 20/20 (or better) vision in 2-3 months =)
(01-03-2014, 11:55 AM)Nophun Wrote: I was some days trying this and the first day I couldn't see the 10/20 lane clear. Now, I can see it really clear and can see also the 10/15 lane, not full clear but can see it. Also, most of the strain I had is dissapearing. Today I'm including long swings to my habit. I do Snellen chart training 4-5 times a day for 1-2 minutes. I'm really thinking I have a pseudomyopia or accommodative spasm, if not I think I would improve but not this fast =S

Now I see things really better I saw it some days ago. Hope I can get my 20/20 (or better) vision in 2-3 months =)

I think Bates said people were always asking him how long it would take to improve (like they still are asking us today). He said it takes as long as it takes you to learn to see in a relaxed way all the time.
So maybe you're a fast learner! Be glad, and grateful, you're improving so fast. Good work!
(01-04-2014, 11:03 AM)Nancy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 11:55 AM)Nophun Wrote: I was some days trying this and the first day I couldn't see the 10/20 lane clear. Now, I can see it really clear and can see also the 10/15 lane, not full clear but can see it. Also, most of the strain I had is dissapearing. Today I'm including long swings to my habit. I do Snellen chart training 4-5 times a day for 1-2 minutes. I'm really thinking I have a pseudomyopia or accommodative spasm, if not I think I would improve but not this fast =S

I think Bates said people were always asking him how long it would take to improve (like they still are asking us today). He said it takes as long as it takes you to learn to see in a relaxed way all the time.
So maybe you're a fast learner! Be glad, and grateful, you're improving so fast. Good work!

Yep, I think so, even though I can't still see that good. I mean, today for example I was able to read the 10/10 lane, but it's NOTHING clear. 10/20 is getting lot of clear nowadays, but even if I can read the 10/10 lane, it's not clear like it was 1 year ago. Anyway, some days ago I couldn't even think of read the 10/10 lane, and now I can do it (it's really difficult, but I can at least). Even though I can read it, I hope it will get clearer in the next months.

By the way, guys, I'm using this "tool": http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html

It's better 'cause you can practice in the Snellen Chart at 3m and it gives you your AV as "20/40, 20/30, 20/20" and also, it use random letters, so you won't only "know" that there's that letter and say it even when you can't see it properly. At night, I can see 20/30 letters without many problems (when it's day I can see the 20/20 lane without many problems... that's what makes me think I have an accomodative spasm, when you have an accomodative spasm you see worse on night than on day, when you have myopia you see the same even if it's day or night)
My vision is also much better in the day time. After being in the sun for a few hours my vision improves to about 20/16, but at others it gets to 20/80 or worse (especially at night).

I think Bates himself would suggest that you use the same letters every day and not use random letters. Bates said that familiar objects and memory improve the vision, so he suggests you print out a Snellen test card and place it permanently on a wall in good light to use it.

Edit: The following is just my interpretation of the Bates method from reading his book. I am not 100% sure about it, because Bates is not so clear in his writing.

I believe reading the test card every day works so well for the following reasons:

1) Central fixation is practiced by reading the smallest letters possible
2) The method of using memory to improve vision is practiced, because the letters are black (the memory of black improves vision), and the letters are familiar (you are using the same letters every day).
3) The method of using imagination to improve vision is practiced, because you can imagine you see the letters before looking at them (especially if you have seen them before).
4) Continuous shifting is practiced, because staring makes the letters blur (and no one enjoys having the letters blur).
5) The test card provides continuous feedback of what works and doesn't, and constantly shows you that an effort to see makes the vision worse.
6) A slight palming effect by using one eye at a time (you cover the other eye with your palm, but it is still open. Not so sure about this one).
He said to practice with a Snellen chart, but not only with few letters. If you keep using all the time the same chart you will finally know where's every letter and you will "see" it without seeing it. With what I'm doing at least I'm sure that I don't "see" it 'cause I know where's every letter, but 'cause I REALLY see it. At least that's what I actually think
According to Bates, if you can remember something perfectly, your vision will be perfect. He wrote a whole chapter on this topic. Here is just one quote of many where Bates recommends using the same test card to practice daily:

"Others kept the cards in a closet except when they were needed for the daily eye drill, lest the children should memorize them. Thus they not only put an unnecessary burden upon themselves, but did what they could to defeat the purpose of the system, which is to give the children daily exercise in distant vision with a familiar object as the point of fixation. A considerable number, however, used the system intelligently and persistently, and in less than a year were able to present reports showing that of three thousand children with imperfect sight over one thousand had obtained normal vision by its means."
Today I went to the opthalmologist and was like this:

I went there, she saw my AV (0.8), then she did me another test to see how many diopters did I have and said me I had -1.5 of myopia, After that, she said that I may need only -0.75 to see 20/20 and, after that, she said me that maybe I could have my myopia reduced a little, but didn't do me ANY more test. It was like "buy glasses, buy glasses, buy glasses...". Man, with this kind of tests you can't trust on it xD I'm going to an optometric, since they see better if you have normal myopia or excess/spasm of accommodation.

Well, today I can see the 20/25 lane without any problems and, with some problems, can read lane 20/20. Now 20/40 is really clear and same with 20/30. 20/25 is a little blurry but I can read it, and 20/20 more blurry and can read it sometimes xD Looks like I improved since I started this Smile

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download