MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Reduced strength glasses and underlying heath conditions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reduced strength glasses and underlying heath conditions
I've been wearing glasses and contacts for the past 10 years. I have lyme disease and wonder if that might get in the way of vision improvement. I have astigmatism in my right eye and my contact lens prescription is -2.5 right eye and -1.5 in the left eye although this recently fluctuated to -1.25, another optician thought -1.75...

I can't see without my glasses on so would like to start by wearing a reduced prescription. Can any one recommend what might be a suitable prescription for me? I found some old glasses and tried wearing them and I got serious eye strain I guess I need to limit my use throughout the day.

I have recently become intolerant to wearing contacts - I think this is from the lyme disease so I will be stopping wearing these any way. I have faith in the method and really hope this can help me but I am concerned having an underlying health condition could make things difficult.

Any input greatly appreciated thanks Smile
can any body help? Confused
(03-03-2014, 09:14 AM)miffy Wrote: can any body help? Confused

Someone recommended in my thread 2ish diopters, but since you're less than that maybe just try the least prescription you can get by with for what you're doing.

For example I can use almost +2 from my current prescription and still read at twelve-eighteen inches, so that's what I wear for close work.

Than being said I have no clue what I'm talking about, so don't take my word for anything. But this forum isn't super active so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
thanks Smile
(03-03-2014, 12:59 PM)miffy Wrote: thanks Smile

Go to my website. All is free. See my signature below for the link.

Don't let anyone confuse you, try to talk you into using eyeglasses methods.
There is a couple eyeglasses sales people on here.
The rest are good, honest members. Follow the good guys.

Avoid expensive teachers.
Yes you can reduce your prescription. You can do it yourself.

Read the PDF describing what to do and what not to do; http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id148.html Near end of the list of books.

No contacts.

If you can do it legally and comfortably; don't allow astigmatism prescription in the glasses. Astigm prescripts create, maintain and increase astigmatism.

Here's some reduced lenses info;
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id14.html
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id36.html

Clark
contacts may be better since you get more peripheral vision. What you can does it to wear plus lenses over contacts (like what anatonia orfield did) that way its more convenient.

you should try another brand of contacts, I wore contacts and many of my friends also did and never had a problem.

BEFORE anyone calls me a "glasses/contacts salesman" or "plus lens advocate", combining lenses are the same as an undercorrection,
(03-03-2014, 02:43 PM)Aethersky Wrote: contacts may be better since you get more peripheral vision. What you can does it to wear plus lenses over contacts (like what anatonia orfield did) that way its more convenient.

you should try another brand of contacts, I wore contacts and many of my friends also did and never had a problem.

BEFORE anyone calls me a "glasses/contacts salesman" or "plus lens advocate", combining lenses are the same as an undercorrection,
You can strain looking with no glasses, or with 20/40 glasses, or with 20/20 glasses. Look easily and curiously, without straining. Using an old pair of glasses was a good idea, but you don't really know if they're too strong still, or too weak. Your prescription is low enough that I'd try going without glasses as often as you can safely, and watch out for straining. You are learning to see with your own eyes, not have the glasses do the seeing for you. I just gave a vision lesson to a guy who's coming down from -8 glasses and went out with friends without them as an experiment. He reported with surprise that he was more present with the people there, BECAUSE HE WAS REALLY LOOKING. Yes! True healthy vision is active, but with no effort.

The different prescriptions from different eye doctors is because healthy vision varies and is not static. This is another reason you want the lowest prescription you can function with. If you're looking for a lower prescription, I'd work with a behavioral optometrist and tell him you want a 20/40 correction, "computer glasses". Or if you can get a pair of glasses you're comfortable with, I wouldn't lower it any more than .5 diopter (the SPH number) for each eye if you go through Zenni and order glasses on your own. You didn't say how high your astigmatism correction (the CYL number) is but if it's on the low side I'd remove it. My opinion: I'm a teacher not an eye doctor.

Oh, and I don't think the Lyme disease is a factor. Don't use it as an excuse for not improving your vision. Keep us posted!
(01-28-2014, 01:05 PM)miffy Wrote: I've been wearing glasses and contacts for the past 10 years. I have lyme disease and wonder if that might get in the way of vision improvement. I have astigmatism in my right eye and my contact lens prescription is -2.5 right eye and -1.5 in the left eye although this recently fluctuated to -1.25, another optician thought -1.75...

I can't see without my glasses on so would like to start by wearing a reduced prescription. Can any one recommend what might be a suitable prescription for me? I found some old glasses and tried wearing them and I got serious eye strain I guess I need to limit my use throughout the day.

I have recently become intolerant to wearing contacts - I think this is from the lyme disease so I will be stopping wearing these any way. I have faith in the method and really hope this can help me but I am concerned having an underlying health condition could make things difficult.

Any input greatly appreciated thanks Smile

To miffy;

Aethersky is one of the eyeglass people I warned you about. Don't listen to him. He follows me to every thread I post on and gives the opposite advise; completely against Dr. Bates true method, advising methods that impair the vision and eyes health. He is abusive, has a strange fixation on me.

He is not supposed to place plus lens on the Bates method thread but he finds ways to give false information and sneak it in. Plus lens belongs in the others theories thread and in my opinion should not even be on this forum because it causes cataract, variety of eye damage.
He links to eye Lasik surgeons; the phony frauenfeld clinic; http://www.iblindness.org/forum/frauenfe...6#pid18876.
http://www.iblindness.org/forum/flooding...eld+clinic

The truth is;
Wearing contact lenses can cause problems. Your lucky your eyes have rejected them. The tv news has reported infections, blindness from the contacts and cleaning agents. The eye changes shape often and more so as it returns to normal shape with use of Natural Eyesight Improvement. The contacts will not fit the cornea . Contacts that don't fit can scrape, injure the cornea.

You eyeglasses are not that strong. Just 1-3 minus - reductions and you will be free. People at your level have obtained complete clear sight, 20/20 and better with only one 20/20 reduction and some with no reduction; they just improved so fast they could leave the glasses off.
Do the shifting and switching on my website;
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id56.html
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id8.html

Aethersky must keep his harmful plus lens advice off the Bates method thread. He follows me everywhere on Chat, Forum posting against the Bates method. I knew if I posted here to help miffy he would post here against the help I give. I can't help people improve their eyesight on this forum because he sends them to the eyeglass people and eye surgeons. He also edits his posts so if I report one thing, (B's.R 'as I recently reported') then the next day it's gone for a while so you can't catch him.
I like the old forum where editing of posts were allowed only for the first 15 minutes. Then if you change your mind... you must post a new extra post and the old post remains.

If I use the word plus lens in a post it attracts that type people on the internet but I have to use it to warn the people that ask for help, to be sure they know what I am talking about so they can avoid the unnatural methods.

This is supposed to be a Bates method thread.
(03-03-2014, 07:48 PM)Nancy Wrote:
(03-03-2014, 02:43 PM)Aethersky Wrote: contacts may be better since you get more peripheral vision. What you can does it to wear plus lenses over contacts (like what anatonia orfield did) that way its more convenient.

You can strain looking with no glasses, or with 20/40 glasses, or with 20/20 glasses. Look easily and curiously, without straining. Using an old pair of glasses was a good idea, but you don't really know if they're too strong still, or too weak. Your prescription is low enough that I'd try going without glasses as often as you can safely, and watch out for straining. You are learning to see with your own eyes, not have the glasses do the seeing for you. I just gave a vision lesson to a guy who's coming down from -8 glasses and went out with friends without them as an experiment. He reported with surprise that he was more present with the people there, BECAUSE HE WAS REALLY LOOKING. Yes! True healthy vision is active, but with no effort.

The different prescriptions from different eye doctors is because healthy vision varies and is not static. This is another reason you want the lowest prescription you can function with. If you're looking for a lower prescription, I'd work with a behavioral optometrist and tell him you want a 20/40 correction, "computer glasses". Or if you can get a pair of glasses you're comfortable with, I wouldn't lower it any more than .5 diopter (the SPH number) for each eye if you go through Zenni and order glasses on your own. You didn't say how high your astigmatism correction (the CYL number) is but if it's on the low side I'd remove it. My opinion: I'm a teacher not an eye doctor.

Oh, and I don't think the Lyme disease is a factor. Don't use it as an excuse for not improving your vision. Keep us posted!

Hey Nancy,

A heads up; A student told me today Zenni refuses to sell plain glasses without uv blocking. Zenni says all their glasses now contain a 'forced upon the buyer' uv coating.

Have you heard this? Maybe the student talked to a customer service person that wasn't informed on this subject.

I talked to Selectspecs in the past and they told me they sell glasses with no tinting, no uv coating. They provide more choices.
This is how they say to order; http://www.selectspecs.com/Glasses/Prescription/ -
Plain eyeglass lenses;
just de-select UV blocking, tinting and other unwanted additions on the prescription page and,
you can also tell them in the 'Additional info' box to omit UV blocking, tinting, coating and other additions.
Specify you want plain lenses.
Phone; 1-845 704-7091
P.D. ; http://www.selectspecs.com/info/pupillary-distance/

I am placing Zenni to the bottom of my list for referred Opticians.

As Bates people know; all wavelengths, frequencies of the suns light spectrum, including uv are necessary for eye health, good vision.

Did I post all the Opticians?

Here's all 3;

The Eyeglass stores, opticians listed below sell low cost, reduced eyeglass lenses without UV blocking, tinting, coating;

http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/ (customer service at eyeglasslensdirect states they have full spectrum transmitting lenses, no UV blocking, no tinting, coating. Ask for CR39 plastic lenses. Phone; 1-888-885-5367). P.D. ; https://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/Searc...sp?Cat=248 There are a few different ways to measure P.D. Testing with 3... ways, getting the same result helps to ensure a correct P.D. P.D. is DIFFERENT for close and far vision glasses due to the eyes converging, diverging.

http://www.selectspecs.com/Glasses/Prescription/ - Customer service at selectspecs says they have plain eyeglass lenses; just de-select UV blocking, tinting and other unwanted additions on the prescription page and, you can also tell them in the 'Additional info' box to omit UV blocking, tinting, coating and other additions. Specify you want plain lenses. Phone; 1-845 704-7091 P.D. ; http://www.selectspecs.com/info/pupillary-distance/

http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=20 - Fill in your prescription at Zenni-Optical - Reduced lenses by mail. Remember to fill in your P.D. (PUPILLARY DISTANCE) ; http://static.zennioptical.com/media/Zen...-Ruler.pdf

A student recently told me that Zenni now makes all glasses with uv light coating-blocking. This is unhealthy. The eyes need uv, full spectrum light! The student may have been in contact with a customer service person that misunderstood. To be safe; I now prefer eyeglasslensdirect and SelectSpecs on the top of this list. Last time I spoke to them they stated they do sell plain eyeglasses, no uv, no tinting...

When contacting the opticians; make sure the optician understands that you want plain, clear lenses with special glass/plastic that allows full spectrum sunlight to pass through the lenses. If these are not available, then lenses that are plain with no UV blocking, no tinting, coating... is the next best thing to purchase.
uv coating is fine. Some sunlight is beneficial, but too much sunlgiht is probably harmful. If too much sun can cause a sun burn, than its logical to believe that they are not good for the eyes.
Zennioptical is still one of the cheapest and best in the business.
[quote='miffy' pid='18649' dateline='1390939521']
I've been wearing glasses and contacts for the past 10 years. I have lyme disease and wonder if that might get in the way of vision improvement. I have astigmatism in my right eye and my contact lens prescription is -2.5 right eye and -1.5 in the left eye although this recently fluctuated to -1.25, another optician thought -1.75...

You have not stated the astigmatism part of your prescription,but you should buy an inexpensive pair of glasses from Zenni Optical online.
Do not get any astigmatism correction in them.
You also have a different amount of myopia in each eye. To begin to equalize that you should get glasses with an equal amount of sphere.
I would get a pair with -1.50 for each eye. Wear them as much as you can,with the exception of driving.
I think that if you can tolerate them,that your next pair should then be in a plus prescription.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download