MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Please Help Find My Correct Under Corrected Eyeglass Prescription?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help Find My Correct Under Corrected Eyeglass Prescription?
Hello,
Thanks for this forum.

Based on my current ideal eyeglass prescription, what should be my under corrected eyeglass prescription?

My under corrected eyeglasses ill be used to watch a big screen TV 1.00 to 2 meters away. Perhaps at close distance such a powerful prescription is not entirely necessary. Plus, with less myopic correction the TV will appear larger.

My current ideal eyeglass prescription is used for driving is:

Right eye: -3.25 -1.00 x 170 Left eye: -2.75 -1.25 x 173

Thanks.
I think the whole philosophy of this kind of practice is 'it depends'.

For example, you would not use the same prescription for 1 meter viewing as you would 15 meter viewing as you would 15 inch viewing. So depending on how far you need to see, you adjust your vision to that, if improving is the goal then you would under-correct until you hit blur. That being said I would not use that degree of under-correction for driving or doing work on any kind of potentially dangerous machine or activity.

-currently using +2 from my base prescription, which moves my blur point to about 2~ish feet for smaller text. In your instance I guess it depends on how correct your current prescription is or how much detail you want to see on your Tv. At 2 meters with +2 from my current prescription I can see the people on the Tv but would have a hard time reading subtitles or seeing details.

The chart on the top of this site may help:
http://www.forbestvision.com/
Says you should be at about -.5 to -1.5 at 1 meter, might want to undercorrect though if you're trying to improve...but if you're viewing at more than 1 meter maybe that already would be an undercorrection.
Hello

Thanks for the reply and the link.

After some consultation I have decided to leave the cylinder and axis in my under corrected prescription identical to the corresponding values in the ideal prescription.

With my under corrected prescription it is important to be able to see the subtitles and image without discomfort, therefore the spherical value will only change by .50, .75, or 1.00.

At the moment, I am still trying to decide between a spherical adjustment of .50, .75. or 1.00.

Any suggestions for this experiment would be appreciated.

Thanks.
(03-19-2014, 03:10 PM)eyeg Wrote: Hello

Thanks for the reply and the link.

After some consultation I have decided to leave the cylinder and axis in my under corrected prescription identical to the corresponding values in the ideal prescription.

With my under corrected prescription it is important to be able to see the subtitles and image without discomfort, therefore the spherical value will only change by .50, .75, or 1.00.

At the moment, I am still trying to decide between a spherical adjustment of .50, .75. or 1.00.

Any suggestions for this experiment would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The two different pairs I use now have two different cyl/axis and I don't notice any difference beyond the obvious diopter change. I have a new pair in the mail that should arrive in the next few days that is zeroed out cyl/axis, I'll let you know if there is any noticeable change.

EDIT: Even with the new 0 axis. 0 cyl glasses I don't really notice any difference beyond the diopter changes. Granted I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, but the only change I notice is the strength.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now