MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Hi everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hi everyone
so heres my story
since the age of 11 -12 (don't know exactly when) i had a mild case of myopia ( started after a big move with my family to a big city from the country) and then after a couple of years, moved again this time to Canada from Korea which is where i am originally from, anyway up untill this point i could get by without using my glasses so much but after starting highschool, my eyesight suddenly began to detoriate from something like -2,3 to -5 (both eyes now). while going to highschool, i dont know what caused it but ive also had many episodes of inflamation and high eyepressure, a lot of stress from this Angel ^^ those days

anyways now im 20 and a couple of months back i stumbled on this Bates thing and tried it out for a couple of days, the exercises like the long swing and palming worked (on the second day i could almost see 20/20 for a couple of minutes but what i didnt know back then was that i had the wrong idea of Dr Bates Method, now i understand that those exercises are something you do as a side thing but not what you base your vision system). so having tried this i guess my skepticism is turning into faith but not completely yet since i haven't actually seen any really improvement but nevertheless very eager to get started ^^

one thing i have to face here in Quebec is we have very long winters longer than any other province in Canada ex for Naunavut and NWT half the year be winter, so cold wind, snow and i have little to no chance to go out in winter, i dont know i am going to cope but...

my circumstances right now i am on a 3 month break untill next term (ideal time i thing since no distractions summer is coming s) and durning the week, i can go all day without my glasses ( except when i read or go the computer ) so what would be the best thing to do during this time ?
i understand very well that its all about building habits and that even after break this is something i need to keep up with, so would it make a difference having glasses off all the time ?

personally i would like to keep glasses on and slowly go down on lower prescriptions untill something -2 since untill something -2 -3 anythign above this vision is so horrible, its almost impossible to get through my day without.

if anyone from the forum lives in Montreal Quebec or anyware in Quebec, feel free to talk to me, if you dont speak english, i speak french so no worries

anyway please answer my questions ^^
glad to be part of this
i so agree with David's quote with the tossing away something precious and making double efforts afterwards
Everyone's different. Doing without glasses as much as possible works for some and is too stressful for others. Do as much as you can without your glasses, comfortably and safely (please make sure you're safe and legal when you drive, for example). If you can get a reduced pair of 20/40 correction or less, that would be better than a super-strong pair that won't let your eyes improve. Notice when you "need" glasses -- are you just anxious and the glasses make you feel safe? Could you feel safe without them? Give the image a moment to clear before you assume you need glasses in order to see it. Observe your habits, and mindset around seeing. See this practice as a game, like learning a new sport, and expect to make mistakes -- don't test yourself constantly or you'll just get frustrated. I think Alexandre was from Montreal, but he hasn't been active here for a while. You could look for some old posts of his and send him a PM, or enlist a friend and learn together.
(05-07-2014, 06:36 AM)Nancy Wrote: Everyone's different. Doing without glasses as much as possible works for some and is too stressful for others. Do as much as you can without your glasses, comfortably and safely (please make sure you're safe and legal when you drive, for example). If you can get a reduced pair of 20/40 correction or less, that would be better than a super-strong pair that won't let your eyes improve. Notice when you "need" glasses -- are you just anxious and the glasses make you feel safe? Could you feel safe without them? Give the image a moment to clear before you assume you need glasses in order to see it. Observe your habits, and mindset around seeing. See this practice as a game, like learning a new sport, and expect to make mistakes -- don't test yourself constantly or you'll just get frustrated. I think Alexandre was from Montreal, but he hasn't been active here for a while. You could look for some old posts of his and send him a PM, or enlist a friend and learn together.
glasses do make me feel safe since with my level of myopia everthing is a blob of blur, but i feel like glasses make eyes lazy and stop shifting, centralizing, etc so i guess what i can do even with my glasses on is keep reminding myself of the habits until i have them subconsciously,
here you said "Give the image a moment to clear before you assume you need glasses in order to see it" what do you mean by this ?

also how can i know if i am shifting right ? i find this very confusing so
what i ended up doing is i would take pick a tiny spot of any object around me and observe what i see and then move onto the next spot i picked

doing this i have the impression that i always have to thinking about the spot i want to look at, so in my head im like oh let's look at this lets look at that
so my mind is not at rest it seems, does this happen also in your mind too, or i can call this having interest in what i look at keep on practicing it ?
The attention leads the eyes. Throwing the gaze around in every direction, thinking you're shifting, is pointless if you're not paying attention to what you're looking at. So yes, just moving your attention and gaze around a small detail is shifting. Just do it easily, without straining, and move on to another detail when you get bored. Or you can shift over longer distances, looking from house to house or window to window or tree to tree. Shifting is merely moving your eyes to focus on something different.

For me feeling safe was major in my vision improvement. It still is. I was driving earlier today, in an area I know well but in a lot of traffic, when someone right next to me blared his horn at another driver. I could feel my heart rate speed up and I felt like someone had screamed at me, my nervous system all keyed up now when I had been calm before. And yes, the view got more blurry. I breathed deeply and slowly, calming myself, and could see better almost immediately. Glasses are not the answer -- returning to a centered peaceful state is.

I encourage you to do what you can safely without your glasses, but don't push yourself faster than you're ready to go or your body and eyes and mind will rebel. If you can get reduced glasses, they may be a good stepping stone to no glasses at all, which is a pretty big jump for you with your prescription. I have several pairs of different strengths in my car. (I don't use them anywhere else, and haven't used them to drive for months since I haven't been driving at night.) Without a teacher to work with you personally and suggest things, you'll have to experiment and find what practices and exercises and habits work for you and your lifestyle.

The mind can be "at rest" and still active. Frantic is not the only alternative to "at rest". I think the ideal state is that of Flow which athletes talk about, being "in the zone", centered and present but able to respond immediately to what comes into your awareness. For me the times of very clear sight are great examples of this state.
(05-07-2014, 11:33 AM)Nancy Wrote: The attention leads the eyes. Throwing the gaze around in every direction, thinking you're shifting, is pointless if you're not paying attention to what you're looking at. So yes, just moving your attention and gaze around a small detail is shifting. Just do it easily, without straining, and move on to another detail when you get bored. Or you can shift over longer distances, looking from house to house or window to window or tree to tree. Shifting is merely moving your eyes to focus on something different.

For me feeling safe was major in my vision improvement. It still is. I was driving earlier today, in an area I know well but in a lot of traffic, when someone right next to me blared his horn at another driver. I could feel my heart rate speed up and I felt like someone had screamed at me, my nervous system all keyed up now when I had been calm before. And yes, the view got more blurry. I breathed deeply and slowly, calming myself, and could see better almost immediately. Glasses are not the answer -- returning to a centered peaceful state is.

I encourage you to do what you can safely without your glasses, but don't push yourself faster than you're ready to go or your body and eyes and mind will rebel. If you can get reduced glasses, they may be a good stepping stone to no glasses at all, which is a pretty big jump for you with your prescription. I have several pairs of different strengths in my car. (I don't use them anywhere else, and haven't used them to drive for months since I haven't been driving at night.) Without a teacher to work with you personally and suggest things, you'll have to experiment and find what practices and exercises and habits work for you and your lifestyle.

The mind can be "at rest" and still active. Frantic is not the only alternative to "at rest". I think the ideal state is that of Flow which athletes talk about, being "in the zone", centered and present but able to respond immediately to what comes into your awareness. For me the times of very clear sight are great examples of this state.
so if i understand you correctly, you are saying that its best if i can keep my glasses off and if not at least get a lower prescription right ?
i guess the best thing to do right now is keep glasses off if i can which will be very rare ex for maybe on weekends and slowly lower my prescriptions untill maybe -2, -3 by then i will be able to at least make out people's faces and stuff... could this work ? if i get into good habbits and keep on all the time ?
I can't and won't give you a guarantee, a promise that says "Do X, and you'll get Y result". We can tell you the principles which have worked for others, but we're not in your head thinking your thoughts or leading your life or using your eyes and brain. I'm repeating myself: do without glasses as long as you're not straining. If you need glasses to see safely and comfortably, use the weakest ones you can which let you accomplish this. Most of all, notice your habits of looking, with and without glasses, and see if you can let the strain release.

Don't set up rules ahead of time before you've even tried this. Maybe in conversation with a friend, you think of taking off your glasses for a few minutes to see how it feels. Go for it! Put them back on when you feel anxious, and notice how you react. Rinse and repeat! You are an experiment of one person, becoming the expert on yourself and what you need to function at your best.
(05-07-2014, 03:08 PM)Nancy Wrote: I can't and won't give you a guarantee, a promise that says "Do X, and you'll get Y result". We can tell you the principles which have worked for others, but we're not in your head thinking your thoughts or leading your life or using your eyes and brain. I'm repeating myself: do without glasses as long as you're not straining. If you need glasses to see safely and comfortably, use the weakest ones you can which let you accomplish this. Most of all, notice your habits of looking, with and without glasses, and see if you can let the strain release.

Don't set up rules ahead of time before you've even tried this. Maybe in conversation with a friend, you think of taking off your glasses for a few minutes to see how it feels. Go for it! Put them back on when you feel anxious, and notice how you react. Rinse and repeat! You are an experiment of one person, becoming the expert on yourself and what you need to function at your best.
yes you are right Nancy the less the better ^^

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download