MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Help please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help please
Hey everybody! I started doing eye exercises about a month ago, but just a week ago, I realized that the key to see clearly is "relaxation" and not actually training the eye muscles (eye rolls, figure of eights, etc).

I started palming for about 30-40mins total everyday (10x3, 4x8 etc), and a few mins of sunning

How long will it take till I'll see a difference in my vision? Also, can relaxation fix astigmatism? and are these techniques useful? Im also doing shifts - close and far distance.
Ive also heard about central fixation, but Im not sure exactly what is a good exercise for that

Im also trying to avoid bad habits (Staring for too long, not blinking, squinting)

My diopter is about -1 0.5Cyl in both eyes

Help would be appreciated! Thank you very much!
I'm not answering your private message which is the same question. There's a lot of help here on this forum, and a lot of information. Start looking around, and reading. Do without your glasses as much as possible, and notice when you're straining, then see if you can stop that without introducing another strain. A great deal of this work is about awareness, of how you're using your eyes and how you feel about seeing. Astigmatism is just another type of strain. This blog post I wrote on it may help you understand it better: http://www.iblindness.org/1051/yes-but-i-have-astigmatism/

For central fixation, just notice small details, then smaller ones. Realize you're seeing best in that central point whre you're looking, and everything away from the center is at least somewhat more blurry, the farther away from the center the blurrier.

There's nothing wrong with eye circles or figure 8s which can show you stuck places in your vision and help you loosen them. Palming is great for some people -- you have to find what works for you.

Notice small improvements and congratulate yourself, whether it's the absence of that familiar headache or being able to do more comfortably without your glasses, or forgetting you don't have them on. Good luck, and make this fun for yourself, not a struggle!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'll keep doing it, I'll try practicing with a snellen chart everyday too!

But, I guess gettin from -1 to 0 and eliminating astigmatism isnt going to take me a week, but months.. or maybe its different for everyone

it might just be a little bit disappointing since the improvements are very subtle
Yes, everybody is different, and there is no real timetable. You'll have good days and not so good days, just like Life in general. Appreciate the good ones, and notice that they're getting more and more frequent. And remember you are going against the norm. Most people take it as a given that vision gets worse over time, and we know that doesn't have to be the case. Keep at it!
Thanks Smile

Btw, Im just curious, have you got rid of your glasses by achieving total relaxation? its written down there that you had 20/45, do you now have 20/20?
Hi Gekonus -- I have 20/20 some of the time, not consistently yet, so haven't updated my stats in my signature because I don't want to be dishonest. I've promised myself that before the end of the summer here (I'm in NY) I'll do some eye chart work outdoors and give a more current measurement. I don't use glasses at all now (I am not driving at night when I'd need them), and am thinking I'm probably about 20/40 or maybe a little better. My indoor eye chart work at night is usually from a closer distance than 20 feet. Stay tuned for more soon.
But is it true that the higher the prescription the harder and longer it takes to improve vision? For example a -1 0.5cyl shouldnt take years to improve it back to 20/20..
I hope l dont have a permanent myopia tho cause lm pretty sure that lve got it due to the computer for over 12 years... lm 18 and a half years old by the way if that matters
-10? or -1?

If -10; you have to take the astigmatism out of the glasses.

If you can't see well enough with that; then get the astigmatism prescript reduced weaker and weaker until you can completely remove it. Reduce the glasses overall strength too.
Reducing glasses; http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id36.html

You are young; you can reverse the addiction to glasses easier than people who have worn for lifetime. Even people wearing very strong glasses into middle age and older have improved quickly when they stop glasses and learn to shift, relax...

Central-fixation; http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id12.html

Try the astigmatism chart; http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id40.html

The variable swing helps;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YLe-Wgpv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUF02OdGFCg

Practice shifting... then stop conscious practice; let the eyes do it all COMPLETELY natural on their own. Notice flashes of clarity when your not thinking about the practice... When you are just active doing something fun.
Hi again, Gekonus. The stronger the prescription, and the longer you've worn it, the longer it *usually* takes to improve, since the poor seeing habits are so deeply entrenched. But of course there are a lot of exceptions. People are different and improve at different rates. My behavioral optometrist told me to expect, and I did find it true for myself, that I improved pretty quickly at the higher diopters, say from -10 down to -6 in 2 years or so, then as my vision got better the rate of improvement slowed. (Again, I'm sure there are exceptions.) When I started I just focused on better habits. Now I'm spending most of my time on exploring my emotions -- what is it in me that is still afraid to reach out, or doesn't feel safe, or doesn't have confidence in my vision? If I don't have the full intention to see clearly, I won't move forward as easily -- some part of me may sabotage my progress, or decide that 20/40 vision is good enough and I'll stop focusing on further improvement.

This is not a mechanical journey like fixing a broken machine, but you will learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible -- it's so exciting! And you can do it. Many people with a stronger prescription than you have improved, and discarded their glasses for good. Just keep going.
Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate that! So basically astigmatism is another type of strain, so the solution is eye relaxation and reduced eye strain again right? Does that mean I can practice all of that with palming, eye movements and snellen? or will it help better with an actual astigmatism chart, just like clarknight posted?
Hi gekonus,

This is my reply to the PM;

For question about distance for the astigm chart;

Stand at a comfortable distance. You can start at a medium distance, slightly blurry and work your way into the more unclear distances.
You can print any size. Did you watch the 2 videos? You can also do the swings as you just sweep over the mountains, in the distance.

Another thing that helps is;
Print the chart full size on 11x8.
Tape it to a window with the light shining through.
Place a larger paper over it.
Use a black marker and trace over the lines so they are bigger, darker, make sa larger chart.
Place the chart on a wall. Place the original smaller, thin line chart beside it.
Practice on the large. When it flashes clear, quickly peek at the smaller; note that is also clear.
Do switching; http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id8.html

I notice your name gekonus is from those cartoon characters in the video games. Do you play them? They can cause imbalance in the eyes, vision due to the artificial 3-D. Some people develop a bit wandering or cross eye from the games. Astigmatism another possibility. Easy to cure; stop playing videos or try sitting farther away from screen, place TV with view of far distance out window.

Since my neck injury (caused by a bad chiropractor); my doc says there is a long time nerve injury. If I do too much typing, use of mouse and watching videos on computer I feel a great tension, spaceyness in my eyes-vision. When I leave the videos alone; just watch plain tv; I am ok.

The strain of the hand/arm, neck, going into the head-eyes, eye muscles from the constant mouse, typing of gamers, graphic artists, on top of the artificial 3-D video confusing the brain causes vision problems. The brain makes the eye muscles change the shape of the lens, eye for each distance you look at; but on the computer, tv gamer screen; there is only one distance. Video games increase this confusion in the brain, muscles.

I don't teach in PM's anymore. Because I teach for free I get about 10 students a week now, sometimes up to 50 in the weekend community meeting room. I find it is much easier to respond to answers on the forum where all can benefit. This way many people with the same problem will learn and this cuts down on private lessons where I would be repeating same training. Get to the point where I really can't type, hands go numb from training in e-mail... I do live training by Skype, Google hangouts, phone Its free. You may tape it for future reference; use Active Presenter or Camtasia screen capture software.

Clark
Thanks for your post! Im trying to really reduce the time I play video games lately, I also take a break every 30-40 mins for about 10-15 mins

Yeah Ive seen the videos you sent, however I do get a little bit confused about how could possible looking at an astigmatism/snellen chart help, since for example when I look at the astigmatism chart, I can see that the 8 to 4 line is a bit clearer then the others, but how can it improve by just looking at the lines?

Thanks
You have to move on them. Don't just look. Its all in the videos and webpage directions. Use the memory, imagination.
Also, I read about these "clear flashes" and I can say that sometimes when I blink in a certain way, I get these clear flashes, but the bad thing is I feel like my eyes are dry and I must blink quite fast otherwise they'll get really dry.. Its not the REAL clear flash now is it?
Gekonus, like Clark said, moving your gaze along the radiating lines on the astigmatism chart will get you used to seeing equally well in all angles. Just notice, don't strain.

Here's something I wrote about Dry Eye, since I get so many questions on it, which may help: http://www.iblindness.org/655/understanding-dry-eye/

To me every clear flash is a "real" clear flash. If you're seeing better, even momentarily, why question it? Enjoy it, and invite it to stay for a while!

And Clark, please take care of yourself. You can't help as many people and spread the information about NVI if you're not OK.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now