Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovery from 6D: my experience and some questions
(08-05-2014, 07:25 PM)arocarty Wrote:
(08-04-2014, 06:11 PM)vavst4 Wrote: Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself and also post some questions I had about my recovery.
've been wearing glasses for about 27 years. My prescription in 2007 was a -5.25/-6.75. In 2012 I found an optometrist who agreed to reduce it to -3.25/-4.75 for 20/40 correction. After I found out what my prescription was I worked on my own over the span of a year (in 2013) to carefully reduce it in 1 diopter increments.

Fast forward to today: I wear a -0.25/-0.25 glasses for daytime driving.
I'm able to confidently drive in the daytime with these and can see most road signs, but my vision isn't perfect. My questions are:

1) The vision quality/amount of blur fluctuates a lot and seems to be affected by the muscles surrounding the eyes. When those muscles cramp up, the vision gets blurry, but when they relax they get clearer. I can also feel the muscles at the side of the eye working when the distance vision clears up.

This is very different from the case of wearing strong glasses, where everything is crystal clear all the time and there are no fluctuations in vision.
Is normal vision supposed to fluctuate like this? Will it ever become HDTV sharp 100% of the time?

2) Night vision is still poor. The green light from a traffic light at night appears as a starburst of multiple lights instead of a single, sharply focused image. Sometimes I also get a ghostly haze or halo over objects. What causes this poly-oplia? This doesn't seem to be improving at the same rate as my overall distance vision.

As a result I've been avoiding extended night driving. I have been able to et by with a -1D on short distances over known roads, but I'm afraid to go on the highway.
Any suggestions here for building up to being able to drive on the highway at night?

Vasanth

Hi Vasanth,

Can you share what you practiced in 2013 to reduce your presciptions? Do you work regularly with an eyechart ? What is your average visual acuity at 20 feet when wearing the .5 lenses? Checking indoors allows you to control the level of lighting, to get more consistent readings. Nobody is 100 % HD sharp all the time. Even people with the best vision can deteriorate in seconds if something unpleasant is experienced (remember the Bates story of the girl who had the most remarkable vision, could count the moons of Jupiter, but when asked to do some math, which she really disliked, she became myopic). Night vision is really not much different, but mentally, it can be very intimidating, as there is so much less in the way of visual colors, cues, and details which we rely upon during the day. Our central vision is lower(cones), our peripheral vision is hightened (rods). Rods are active in dark, and are extremely sensitive to motion and light, but worse at detail and color. So the mindset at night has to adjust, and not have the same expectation as that during the day. If we are at all nervous or anxious, we can tense up, exacerbating the wrong habits of staring, straining which led us into myopia in the first place.
Rather than think of the amounts of 'blur,' think of it in terms of the amount of 'clarity,' as even recalling and focusing on our visual imperfections is more of a strain, mentally, than remembering and imagining things seen clearly, things that bring us comfort and effortlessness. What kinds of things help you see clearly, when you walk, when you're outside, when you're driving? What has worked best for you?

Thanks for the tips. My main practice was based on David DeAngelis' power vision system but I didn't really have a structured practice, other than doing some eye rotations and stretches during the day. I mostly just let the undercorrections do their work and tried to avoid using the minus in front of a comptuer screen.

David teaches a technique called CBT for training your eyes to clear blur. Basically it involves tensing up your eyes and then relaxing them to relieve the tension that's causing the blur. I would apply that technique to distant objects when I'm driving for example.

I would wear one pair of reduced glasses driving and a weaker pair for the computer work. From time to time I would check the eye chart to check that I could still meet the driving standard with the reduced glasses. I've been a little lazy about working with the eye chart lately but I'll check my measurements and let you know what I find. When my eyes are "warmed up" it feels like my vision is a 20/40, but there is the daily fluctuation and one of my eyes is weaker than the other one. I"m waiting to stabilize even more and improve the weaker eye before I take the DMV test.

When you test with the eye chart, are you supposed to do it in a bright sunlight room, or in a darkened room? How do they do it at the DMV?

As far as things that helped. Probably the biggest is the driving, especially the long commute to work has helped my eyes to open up. Also I've gotten into the habit of wearing a +1 glasses indoors. When I drive I practice the CBT exercise above and I also do some Bates related tracing of objects in the distance like cars etc and that helps open things up.

Watching TV without glasses (or with a plus lens) also seems to help. I'm able to see the TV subtitles which I wasn't able to see before.

Anyways thanks for the tips. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download

Messages In This Thread
RE: Recovery from 6D: my experience and some questions - by vavst4 - 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM