Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovery from 6D: my experience and some questions
(08-09-2014, 06:20 AM)vavst4 Wrote: Okay so I took some eyechart measurements. I do find a big disparity between lighting conditions and taking them at the end of the day and first thing in the morning.

When I checked yesterday it was around 11PM after a day of computer work and evening of close reading on my ipad. My eye muscles felt cramped and everything was initially fuzzy. It took several minutes to clear the 20/40 line.

Then I checked again this morning after waking up. In a few seconds (and a few blinks) I was able to see the 20/40 line. As I spent a few more minutes in front of the chart and started tracing letters things started to clear up even more. With my weaker right eye I was able to eventually make out 20/30 and with both eyes together I could see 20/30 and roughly see some letters on 20/20 but not quite get to 20/20. The vision kept fluctuating but overall when the chart went out of focus I was bring back into focus at least the lines on the 20/70-20/40 range with a few blinks and I could feel the eye muscles on the side working. Eventually the eyes felt "worked out" and I figured it was time to stop.

I'm going to start practicing with the eyechart some more. It looks like the main things I need to work on is that the eye muscles (when tired) tend to get "stuck" on the close range and then take a while to "warm up" to seeing distance. I'd like to get it to the point where the adaptation to distance is nearly instantaneous under all conditions. Let me know if you have any tips.

All good tips by Aureus; If possible, I would suggest a much more frequent break schedule from nearwork, at least every hour or more. If possible, get outside, take a short walk, where you can get natural light/sunlight, focus and shift on natural scenery at varying distances, in open expanses. Open expanses help open up our eyes, and engage peripheral and central vision together. There's a lot of strong evidence to suggest that more time spent outdoors is associated with much less myopia. No surprise. The more time spent outdoors, the less chance one has of developing bad habits at the nearpoint in the first place, which easily carry over to distance seeing. Bates had that figured out long ago when he implemented his eye education into public school systems. He witnessed, (and well documented) how visual problems evolved in the school systems, where much indoor/nearpoint work was now part of modern culture. I would agree with Bates that it isn't how MUCH we use our eyes at the nearpoint, so much as it is HOW we use them at the nearpoint. And how we use them at near affects how we use them at far. They're the same eyes we use for both. I relate to this because I restored my vision from about 20/175 to normal levels (my daily chart readings now are in the order of 20/15-20/20) WHILE having to use my eyes at near, on computers and other nearwork for 8 to 10 hours daily. My distance improvement struggled until I learned how to better relax the tension and unconscious strain at the nearpoint. Then everything got easier, and using them at near often felt like a benefit, when I eventually had to drive home for the day. I too have a somewhat long commute.

The things that help prevent vision problems are usually not enough to help restore problems that already exist. You've already acquired the wrong habits, ingrained them with years of repetitive reinforcement, and wearing lenses only helps deepen it all even more subconsciously. It can often feel like a wrestling match, you, wrestling against yourself, or some unknown force within oneself. Vision is a funny thing like that, it wants to operate totally independently, without our conscious intrusion. But we have learned how to intrude, in all the wrong ways, and weren't even aware of it. Most ignore all the signs and symptoms of strain because they are just trying too keep up. Keep up with the expectations and volumes of information that we have to learn to get an education and be a productive in the workplace.

Some of the things that will help are, as I said, taking more frequent breaks from nearwork. Myopes strain almost all the time, so need much more time to rest the eyes and strain than someone simply trying to prevent problems. Learning to rest them properly by palming, closing them, or just getting outside to open them up will all help. Closing them or palming may seem like such a simple practice, but it's amazing at how many people can strain even more while doing so, and get no benefit. One has to remember or imagine things that bring comfort, things that are very positive, and be able to put troubles aside. Remembering static images is also not helpful, as it's best to remember or imagine things with movement, or oppositional movement, as we constantly think of different parts of our imagined images.

Learning to imagine halos, especially those that are seen around printed matter can also be very beneficial. One shouldn't look directly at letters, rather, let your eyes dance and hover all around and through them, never landing on any part. The eye never stops moving, and it can be quite a strain to try to stop it and hold our vision on any one spot. By imagining the halos, we unconsciously stop trying to look 'at' the letters so much. Letters at the nearpoint are never seen still, rather, should be seen having a slight motion to them, a motion of their own accord, not forced. But even a slight, constant sway as you sit is more beneficial than letting things be stationary. Nearwork is a stationary activity, and fosters stationary habits of mind and body, none of which are beneficial to the visual system. Break those what ever way you have to. Reading fine print can also be very beneficial, and helped me much. It forces one to use better central fixation, because in order to read it, one has to be more relaxed. And when one is more relaxed, the fovea operates more properly, at near as well as far. Read fine print several times a day, even a small sample will suffice. All the same principles apply to looking at fine print as to normal size letters, or chart letters. The best way of breaking bad habits is to replace them with good habits, as Bates said, and learning new habits at the nearpoint will pay big dividends with vision at all distances.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now

Messages In This Thread
RE: Recovery from 6D: my experience and some questions - by arocarty - 08-10-2014, 04:04 AM