MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
First person shooter video games may improve vision

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
First person shooter video games may improve vision
Video 
According to DNews, video games may be good for vision. I find this pretty interesting:

Very interesting.
The Idea actually makes a lot of sense but only if you play from a healthy distance and with your glasses off of course.

I could imagine that this would train central fixation very well because you constantly have to focus on extremely small details. But again I think this would only work on a healthy distance.

if you play up close you will probably still get myopia.

I'd try it out but I don't have a console and playing on the computer more than 1 meter away is pretty difficult.
(08-15-2014, 07:20 AM)Ricky Wrote: Very interesting.
The Idea actually makes a lot of sense but only if you play from a healthy distance and with your glasses off of course.

I could imagine that this would train central fixation very well because you constantly have to focus on extremely small details. But again I think this would only work on a healthy distance.

I'd try it out but I don't have a console and playing on the computer more than 1 meter away is pretty difficult.

I tried playing a couple of FPS games on my iPad but the graphics were pretty rubbish. I may try getting a console.
Personally, I do not find much of a problem being close to the screen. In fact I find that if the screen is closer, it's more relaxing for my eyes. That's why I like the iPad and my android phone so much, and do most of web browsing using those devices. If I played a console game, I'd be sitting about a metre away from the TV screen.I'm keen to try it.

Cheers,
JW
(08-18-2014, 03:12 AM)johnwayne Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 07:20 AM)Ricky Wrote: Very interesting.

I tried playing a couple of FPS games on my iPad but the graphics were pretty rubbish. I may try getting a console.
Personally, I do not find much of a problem being close to the screen. In fact I find that if the screen is closer, it's more relaxing for my eyes. That's why I like the iPad and my android phone so much, and do most of web browsing using those devices. If I played a console game, I'd be sitting about a metre away from the TV screen.I'm keen to try it.

Cheers,
JW

If it feels it is more relaxing to be close it's probably because everything is clear. But being to close is not that good. It's what made me nearsighted in the first place. I would try to keep a healthy distance if possible.
I'm very curious about this, since gaming was the reason I got nearsighted in the first place. A couple of years ago I'd sit really close to the TV and play for long hours. My eyes progressively got worse which is when I started wearing contact lenses all the time.

I've read this article before, but I thought nothing of it because I thought it may only apply to the people who were born with cataracts and other visual defects that they were born with. Do you think this would actually help myopia?
(08-18-2014, 05:01 AM)johnmadden Wrote: I'm very curious about this, since gaming was the reason I got nearsighted in the first place. A couple of years ago I'd sit really close to the TV and play for long hours. My eyes progressively got worse which is when I started wearing contact lenses all the time.

I've read this article before, but I thought nothing of it because I thought it may only apply to the people who were born with cataracts and other visual defects that they were born with. Do you think this would actually help myopia?

Same case with me. When I was around 14 years the only things I did was go to school and play World of Warcraft in my freetime. Focused up close for probably 80% of the time.. This was the time I got nearsighted.

I don't think it's directly gaming that is causing myopia. There are lots of gamers that don't have myopia. If you play with breaks in your sessions and not to close to the screen it probably won't harm you. It's extended time spent focused up close that is causing myopia. Gaming can be done from a distance of several meters away.

Yes I think thsi could help myopia. If you play fast paced fps games from a distance that challenges your eyes. This would probably improve central fixation, shifting and maybe even help reverse axial elongation. But I'd have to try that out and since I only own a pc to play games on this would be pretty difficult for me. But I would love to try that out.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now