MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Seeing more lines on eye chart but....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeing more lines on eye chart but....
This is so weird. I've been using the Bates Method for about six weeks, I think.

I have the "E" chart up on my wall. I have made steady progress with it.

I am farsighted.

But, I can see no improvement when trying to read a book or watching TV without glasses.

Shouldn't everything seem better if I am improving with the eye chart?

So confused. Huh
It sounds like your distance vision is improving, so good for you! You may also want to work with a small hand-held close vision chart with tiny print in the lower lines, holding it close enough to just be a challenge, then moving it closer as it gets easier. You could also work with something like vitamin bottles with that micro-print which few people can read. This is not my own challenge so I'm not an expert here, and others may have more suggestions. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks, Nancy. You're always so faithful to answer us when you can. I will definitely try the mini-chart. I do try to read bottle print, but it's so uncomfortable because it's soooooo blurry! Kinda gives me a frontal headache although only while I'm trying to read. It feels like so much strain that I feel guilty for straining. Wink

I'm looking forward to people who are farsighted to let me know if they have experienced anything similar, so I know that it will get better for close up. It's funny that my far sight is improving even though I don't feel I need that so much though obviously I do because I can't see the entire chart.

Anyway, I will definitely give it a go. Thanks so much.

Rita

(09-28-2014, 08:17 AM)Nancy Wrote: It sounds like your distance vision is improving, so good for you! You may also want to work with a small hand-held close vision chart with tiny print in the lower lines, holding it close enough to just be a challenge, then moving it closer as it gets easier. You could also work with something like vitamin bottles with that micro-print which few people can read. This is not my own challenge so I'm not an expert here, and others may have more suggestions. Let us know how it goes.
Rita, just like with the big distance chart, play with the strain with the bottles or mini-chart. When does it start hurting? (How close does it have to be?) What are you doing then (scrunching your forehead or narrowing your eyes or ...), and can you stop? This will teach you more about your patterns, and making them conscious instead of unconscious means you have choice in whether to do them or not. Keep us posted!
Hi:

I have to hold tiny, fine print about 3 to 4" from my eyes, and even then I can't always make out all the words. It never really hurts, it's just uncomfortable. Maybe a slight headache above my eyebrows and slight stinging of my eyes after awhile. Maybe I'm not blinking enough, but I try to remember to do that. I don't squint or narrow my eyes because that's "cheating." I know I am not supposed to squint.

Last night I was reading more about reading fine print and where Dr. Bates says to flash on a letter and then close and relax eyes, open them, flash on a letter for a split second, close the eyes over and over. I was surprised how well it worked. So I will be using that technique.

I also read online (can't remember where) where a man of 90 years lost his close vision and just decided intuitively to start reading fine print. He didn't know about Bates. I think it took him 3 months but he could see fine print well after that. That gave me more motivation to do the fine print thing.

Thank you again.

Rita

(09-29-2014, 08:55 AM)Nancy Wrote: Rita, just like with the big distance chart, play with the strain with the bottles or mini-chart. When does it start hurting? (How close does it have to be?) What are you doing then (scrunching your forehead or narrowing your eyes or ...), and can you stop? This will teach you more about your patterns, and making them conscious instead of unconscious means you have choice in whether to do them or not. Keep us posted!

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now