MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Just saw a behavioral optometrist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just saw a behavioral optometrist
My current prescription is:
OD -6.75 Cylinder -1.00 Axis 82
OS -8.00 Cylinder -0.75 Axis 90

I got her to write me an undercorrected prescription and even got to see a preview of how blurry the lens would be (Surprisingly not that bad).

The prescription follows:

OD -4.75 Cylinder -1.50 Axis 90
OS -7.00 Cylinder -0.25 Axis 84

What are your opinions?

Was going to buy a pair through Zenni?
(10-27-2014, 05:14 PM)BlakeAwake Wrote: My current prescription is:

I got her to write me an undercorrected prescription and even got to see a preview of how blurry the lens would be (Surprisingly not that bad).

What are your opinions?

If the vision through these reduced lenses is "not that bad" I'd go for it. Your right eye prescription (OD) is 2 diopters weaker than it was -- that's great! My only concern is that the left eye (OS) astigmatism correction (CYL) got stronger which I don't like. But remember these are a stepping stone -- ideally you'll move to even weaker glasses and won't stay here. Do as much without your glasses as you can, without straining.
(10-28-2014, 07:04 AM)Nancy Wrote:

What are your opinions?

If the vision through these reduced lenses is "not that bad" I'd go for it. Your right eye prescription (OD) is 2 diopters weaker than it was -- that's great! My only concern is that the left eye (OS) astigmatism correction (CYL) got stronger which I don't like. But remember these are a stepping stone -- ideally you'll move to even weaker glasses and won't stay here. Do as much without your glasses as you can, without straining.

The increased CYL also worried me, but she assured me it was needed to lower the OS. I try not to wear my glasses as much as possible as I know this is step one to healing, but as a 19 year old college student who spends countless hours either researching, studying, in class, driving, writing, typing, etc. it's a bit hard to not use my eye crutches, but I don't use them whenever I do not need to.

Thanks for the outlook and advice Smile
(10-28-2014, 07:12 AM)BlakeAwake Wrote:

What are your opinions?

The increased CYL also worried me, but she assured me it was needed to lower the OS. I try not to wear my glasses as much as possible as I know this is step one to healing, but as a 19 year old college student who spends countless hours either researching, studying, in class, driving, writing, typing, etc. it's a bit hard to not use my eye crutches, but I don't use them whenever I do not need to.

Even beyond the goal of improved single-eye acuity, balance is important to me. This includes each eye seeing equally well in all angles (reduce or eliminate CYL). The CYL correction makes the body twist to accomodate to it. Balance also means similar SPH in each eye. Not only does this new prescription increase the CYL in the right eye, it increases the disparity between the right and left eyes' SPH. This feels like it may be letting you see more clearly in one angle where there's strain (and notice the angle is not identical to what it was before), at the expense of making you twist more, which I don't like.

I am not an eye doctor, yet I'd prefer a lesser reduction in the right eye SPH so the CYL could be lowered. It feels like a cheat to lower the SPH but raise the CYL to compensate, and I don't think it's an improvement. My opinion only. Good for you for exploring alternatives.
(10-28-2014, 08:35 AM)Nancy Wrote:

What are your opinions?

Even beyond the goal of improved single-eye acuity, balance is important to me. This includes each eye seeing equally well in all angles (reduce or eliminate CYL). The CYL correction makes the body twist to accomodate to it. Balance also means similar SPH in each eye. Not only does this new prescription increase the CYL in the right eye, it increases the disparity between the right and left eyes' SPH. This feels like it may be letting you see more clearly in one angle where there's strain (and notice the angle is not identical to what it was before), at the expense of making you twist more, which I don't like.

I am not an eye doctor, yet I'd prefer a lesser reduction in the right eye SPH so the CYL could be lowered. It feels like a cheat to lower the SPH but raise the CYL to compensate, and I don't think it's an improvement. My opinion only. Good for you for exploring alternatives.
Given you're not an eye doctor, what you recommend I lower my prescription to, including the cyl?
(10-28-2014, 02:23 PM)BlakeAwake Wrote:

What are your opinions?

Given you're not an eye doctor, what you recommend I lower my prescription to, including the cyl?

The behavioral optometrist I trained with removed the CYL completely to give folks weaker glasses if it was lower than 2.0, otherwise he reduced it by a diopter or so, so as not to shock their nervous system with too big of a change. Of course he tested people with this prescription before he gave it to them, both for how well they could see and how comfortable they felt. I'd rather see you get a prescription with no CYL at all. Then maybe you'd have to bump up the right eye SPH a bit if the eye doctor only lowered it so much because he was raising the CYL to offset this -- I can't say. I'm not going to recommend numbers for you -- use your own judgment about that. When I was reducing my own prescripion down from the original -9.5 SPH and -1.5 CYL in my right eye and -10 SPH with -1.75 CYL in my weaker left eye, as I said I had no CYL correction at all from the beginning. I also stepped the right and left eyes down in tandem, even though the left sometimes saw a diopter weaker than the right and at one eye doctor visit was 3 diopters weaker. The eye doctor was thrilled at the improvement in my right eye (-9.5 down to -7 as I remember) and I was very upset at what seemed to be the growing difference between my 2 eyes. But vision varies, and that was only the measurement at that moment. Now they are similar in acuity, though the left eye usually still sees a little more more blurry.

Doing without your glasses as much as you can safely and without straining, then using an under-corrected balanced prescription when you absolutely need one, is the way to go. This is very inidvidualized work, and even if you're working closely with a behavioral optometrist and/or a vision coach, you eventually have to become the expert on what your eyes need and what is good for them. Please keep us informed about your progress.
(10-29-2014, 09:03 AM)Nancy Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 07:04 AM)Nancy Wrote: If the vision through these reduced lenses is "not that bad" I'd go for it. Your right eye prescription (OD) is 2 diopters weaker than it was -- that's great! My only concern is that the left eye (OS) astigmatism correction (CYL) got stronger which I don't like. But remember these are a stepping stone -- ideally you'll move to even weaker glasses and won't stay here. Do as much without your glasses as you can, without straining.

The behavioral optometrist I trained with removed the CYL completely to give folks weaker glasses if it was lower than 2.0, otherwise he reduced it by a diopter or so, so as not to shock their nervous system with too big of a change. Of course he tested people with this prescription before he gave it to them, both for how well they could see and how comfortable they felt. I'd rather see you get a prescription with no CYL at all. Then maybe you'd have to bump up the right eye SPH a bit if the eye doctor only lowered it so much because he was raising the CYL to offset this -- I can't say. I'm not going to recommend numbers for you -- use your own judgment about that. When I was reducing my own prescripion down from the original -9.5 SPH and -1.5 CYL in my right eye and -10 SPH with -1.75 CYL in my weaker left eye, as I said I had no CYL correction at all from the beginning. I also stepped the right and left eyes down in tandem, even though the left sometimes saw a diopter weaker than the right and at one eye doctor visit was 3 diopters weaker. The eye doctor was thrilled at the improvement in my right eye (-9.5 down to -7 as I remember) and I was very upset at what seemed to be the growing difference between my 2 eyes. But vision varies, and that was only the measurement at that moment. Now they are similar in acuity, though the left eye usually still sees a little more more blurry.

Doing without your glasses as much as you can safely and without straining, then using an under-corrected balanced prescription when you absolutely need one, is the way to go. This is very inidvidualized work, and even if you're working closely with a behavioral optometrist and/or a vision coach, you eventually have to become the expert on what your eyes need and what is good for them. Please keep us informed about your progress.

I'm stuck trying to decide what Rx lens to order. Obviously a zerod cyl is best?
So what numbers should I use?
(10-29-2014, 07:04 PM)BlakeAwake Wrote:
(10-29-2014, 09:03 AM)Nancy Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 07:12 AM)BlakeAwake Wrote: The increased CYL also worried me, but she assured me it was needed to lower the OS. I try not to wear my glasses as much as possible as I know this is step one to healing, but as a 19 year old college student who spends countless hours either researching, studying, in class, driving, writing, typing, etc. it's a bit hard to not use my eye crutches, but I don't use them whenever I do not need to.

Again, I'm not your optometrist and they're not my own eyes. You can try the SPH the doctor gave you. Zenni glasses are pretty cheap so you can always a few pairs of various strengths -- that's what I did in the beginning. Good luck.

I'm stuck trying to decide what Rx lens to order. Obviously a zerod cyl is best?
So what numbers should I use?

I'm not your optometrist and they're not my eyes so I'm really out on a limb giving you suggestions of numbers. You could try the SPH the eye doctor gave you and see how that feels. Zenni glassses are so cheap you might want to order a few pairs of different strengths. That's what I did. Good luck.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now