Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Improving Eyesight Eyesight, but not enough to read dirty whiteboard clearly.
(01-30-2015, 04:45 AM)arocarty Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 01:18 AM)Aethersky Wrote: Well this is a bates method forum, so not the place for plus lenses. I'm college student and i just wear a +2.0D for all my close work. There is no stress on my eyes and i keep the work at the edge of blur.

Agreed that it's not the place for plus lenses promotion. So isn't it a little contradictory to then go ahead and make a plug for plus lenses and 'edge of blur'? Those theories are not supported or promoted here, yet people continue to disrespect what this site is about. There are sites out there that fully support and promote those theories, so people are quite free to go to those places, if they are not happy with what this site promotes, or doesn't promote.

Luis - I apologize you had to hear this - there are those who are intent on imposing (for some time now) their own views on this forum that are contradictory to what this site was is about.

Your question was how to cope with boards in class - as you have indicated this is just one of the places where you experience a lessening of vision. You don't want boards to become a total pessimism for you, as that can only exacerbate your strain, and anxiety about it all. You can keep practicing the method no matter what (even those who have to wear lenses can still practice something diligently every day), and you should have a regular routine that you can go to, for relief and relaxation. It's more about what you do outside the classroom than what's going on inside - as you're just carrying a lot of that with you into the room. I work in a university, and have set up some rooms with smartboards and other projectors. The resolution isn't always the greatest, nor is the contrast, or brightness. I've noticed even people with normal sight struggle with some setups. Do you sit as close as possible? Anxiety breeds tension, tension breeds rigidity of eye movement, staring. If you are going to get better at seeing in these less favorable conditions, you have to find ways to minimize tension and anxiety and staring in these situations, and have techniques that aim at doing just that. What do you regularly do that helps to that end? What have you found that brings you relief, what do you find as optimisms? Do you work on memory and imagination? Never sit still for any length of time, especially in classrooms. A still body can quickly become a tense body. A tense body can quickly translate to rigid eye movement. Look around the room frequently, changing focus distances, close, near, middle. Find something in the room that can be a go-to, something that seems easier to see. Shift and fixate on edges of things, blank or uniform areas don't do anything to stimulate visual centers and trigger better focus. Practice a subtle sway whenever sitting, or standing in place. I do it all the time, nobody notices. Even if they did, I don't care. Be aware of your breathing - practice a lot of deep breathing in class, nobody will notice, and your eyes will thank you. Same goes for blinking, you can practice that all the while in class. Soft and relaxed blinks. Be aware of tense facial muscles, tense legs and hands. The better you get at this self awareness in and out of the classroom, the more relaxed will be your mind and the better you will perceive and perform in all respects.

Regards,
Andrew

I struggle mostly with semi-smart boards, or whatever they are called, I do not know the name, but it is a regular whiteboard that can be used as both a white board and a smartboard with a projector it is usually bad markers, small writting, or a bad projector, but I don't struggle as much with the newer smartboards. Thank you for trying to help, today I tried the "effortless" way of seeing, and it has really helped defeat the whiteboard, but I still struggle to read it at times. I cannot control where I am sitting in the room because most seats are assigned by the teacher, I am a high school student. I've noticed myself straining mostly while sitting on away from the board on the sides/corners of the room. I don't notice as much strain sitting in the back but facing directly at the board. I struggle the most when writing things down, because looking down at the paper causes the board to look blurry when I look back at it. It's not just whiteboards, freeway signs can sometimes really become a struggle as well, especially at night, and some traffic signs, and small street posts. As I said before, I really want to avoid using glasses. I don't use them at all.

clarknight is right, I often feel eye strain caused by the hurry of trying to see the board and learn. Sometimes it lasts while I get things done, but sometimes it has caused me to FAIL quizzes, and I normally don't pass timed quizzes that are projected on the board. Some strain returns when asked to read something on the board as well, or when my grades are threatened by the teacher to "pay attention" to the lesson. I'm often asked to look at the board to even get today's date by other students as well, and I'm always urged by teachers and other students to get my eyes checked out for glasses, one time I was even threatened to be sent to the nurse for a vision screening.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now

Messages In This Thread
RE: Improving Eyesight Eyesight, but not enough to read dirty whiteboard clearly. - by Luis210 - 01-30-2015, 10:24 PM