MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
what condition?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
what condition?
I give up. I know name isn't important, but I want to be clear about what I have.

I have one good eye (20/20) and one "bad" eye, 20/35. I know my left eye has myopia, but what could the condition be? Everything gets clear in both eyes with glasses. Is this amblyopia, anisometropia or what does it sound like? People "experts" mention myopia in the left eye, but is it called anything special? I don't want to correct it with glasses (don't have any), thank you very much. I'm only curious about what this could be.
I think your condition is ANISOMETROPIA.

Anisometropia is derived from Greek and made up of four parts: an-, -iso-, -metr-, and -opia. Their meaning (in parentheses) is simple. An- (not) + -iso- (equal) + -metr- (measure) + -opia (vision). Literally, the measure of vision is not equal. The refractive power of the two eyes is different. The opposite of anisotropia is isometropia. In isometropia, the refractive power is equal in both eyes.

This is the link for what I've just written:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/a...ekey=20150

So, it appears it's not important you have normal vision with one eye - it's important that their refractive powers differ and one can have even this combination: nearsightedness on one eye and farsightedness on the other - still it's called anisometria.

The text which you can read on that page further says that anisometria can cause amplyobia to children and teenagers.

To cite:

"Anisometropia: The condition in which the two eyes have unequal refractive power. One eye may be myopic (nearsighted) and the other hyperopic (farsighted) or one eye may be markedly stronger than the other.

Anisometropia is a serious concern in newborns and young children because it can lead to amblyopia (impaired vision in one eye). With a major degree of anisometropia, the brain cannot reconcile the difference in images coming from the two eyes. It develops a preference for the image coming from one eye and suppresses the image from the other eye and, in time, the brain loses the ability to "see" the image from the suppressed eye."

Now what is amblyopia?

The same source says:

"Amblyopia is a condition that occurs in children when one eye has poorer vision than the other. If amblyopia is left untreated, a child's vision will not develop correctly. The child's brain, as it matures, will start "ignoring" the image coming from the bad eye. This causes vision in the affected eye to become even worse as the child becomes a teenager. Because amblyopia can result in permanent vision loss in one eye, it is important to have a child with amblyopia regularly tested by an eye doctor."

I also have a short dictionary of the terms used in ophtalmology and in it AMBLYOPIA is described as a condition in which one eye or rarely both of them have such kind of nearsightedness that cannot be corrected with glasses or contact lenses.

So in my view, it can't be said you have amblyopia since your vision can be corrected with glasses. You had precondition to get it (anisometric eyes during childhood) but you were lucky enough to avoid it. Now start your vision program to strengthen your weaker eye. You are young and you may progress even faster than grown ups. Smile
Thank you!
But wait a minute... How'd you know that I'm in my early teenager years, and how am I supposed to train, in your eyes?
(04-08-2015, 07:29 AM)getridofamblyopiamyopia Wrote: Thank you!
But wait a minute... How'd you know that I'm in my early teenager years, and how am I supposed to train, in your eyes?

Ah, Dr. Bates said "poor memory - poor vision".

It's you who enclosed that information on your other thread:

"How old am I?
I'm under the age of 18."

The link: http://www.iblindness.org/forum/how-ofte...i-practise

And don't ask me how I know your name is Andrea and you are from Sweden. Cool

In my view you should first follow the instructions of your vision teacher and see if you can have some results with them.

Add to that this: spend more time outdoors, spring and summer in your country is gorgeous, look at the distance daily, pay attention to the details (all details close and afar) and you'll accomplish this more easily if you look at the things you're really interested in. If you are not interested in flowers, don't force yourself to look at them. Look at the things you are interested in. Nothing can replace genuine interest. But if you lost your genuine interest in things - then you must regain it quickly. Vision is given to those who want to look.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download