MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Weak eye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weak eye
When doing shifts and relaxing with central fixation, I get results , however the results come from the right eye only (its also the better eye).

Should I have an eyepatch on my right eye all the time, and do these shifting with the left eye only? will the left eye improve faster this way? there is a big difference between the eyes. Right is about 20/45, left is more like 20/65.
(04-08-2015, 06:39 AM)gekonus Wrote: When doing shifts and relaxing with central fixation, I get results , however the results come from the right eye only (its also the better eye).

Should I have an eyepatch on my right eye all the time, and do these shifting with the left eye only? will the left eye improve faster this way? there is a big difference between the eyes. Right is about 20/45, left is more like 20/65.

While you should work with the worse eye in isolation more, it should also be rested much more, as it is under more strain. Just patching the better eye isn't going to rest the worse one, it needs extra rest, then practice in isolation. It may always lag behind the better one, but if they are both improving about the same rate, both will get there eventually, just one maybe before the other.
You know, I bought bates book and he said that if you could imagine or remember clear letters on a snellen, you could see them clearly. I find it veeeeeery difficult to do.
What I DID however notice about relaxation and it worked, was when I did palming, I dont remember what my thoughts were but suddenly it all became super black and I felt a REALLY RELAXING feeling in my whole body. I also started to laugh for some reason hahaha. I had a temporary boost in acuity after, but it disappeared.
If you find a solution PM me. Big Grin

I'm not sure how your measurements translate into diopters but I'm working with a 7+ diopter difference between my eyes which makes practicing quite difficult.
(04-10-2015, 04:00 PM)wtfgod Wrote: If you find a solution PM me. Big Grin

I'm not sure how your measurements translate into diopters but I'm working with a 7+ diopter difference between my eyes which makes practicing quite difficult.

Translating to diopters. IN MY CASE , its -0.75R and -1L. however there is a BIG difference in acuity between both eyes naked eyes. I am close to the DMV requirement with my right eye, with my left however, its all so doublish and blurry.

Started a few days ago, Im patching my right eye while working on the computer, and trying to relax my left eye somehow, doing many shifts and trying to ignore the fact that this eye see's alot worse
(04-11-2015, 04:46 AM)gekonus Wrote:

Translating to diopters. IN MY CASE , its -0.75R and -1L. however there is a BIG difference in acuity between both eyes naked eyes. I am close to the DMV requirement with my right eye, with my left however, its all so doublish and blurry.

Started a few days ago, Im patching my right eye while working on the computer, and trying to relax my left eye somehow, doing many shifts and trying to ignore the fact that this eye see's alot worse

Keep focusing on and remembering the things that bring success (not necessarily perfect success, but even small successes). You had an interesting experience with palming, although it didn't last. That's very common, once we get a good flash, we want to iimmediately start testing our vision on everything and anything. It's not something you can hold onto, in any forceful type of way. It's because of something that you let go, that you see better. And it's can be something so subtle, we are unable to sense it, just see it in terms of improved clarity.

Keep resting the eyes with palming several times a day if you can. Even for just a few minutes at a time. If you can, try the long swing, for a few minutes before each palming, in order to calm your nerves and visual system before the palming session. I often found that more effective, since many have trouble resting/relaxing when palming. You can't force seeing that black when palming, it only comes when the mind is in a very relaxed state.
(04-12-2015, 02:59 AM)arocarty Wrote:

Keep focusing on and remembering the things that bring success (not necessarily perfect success, but even small successes). You had an interesting experience with palming, although it didn't last. That's very common, once we get a good flash, we want to iimmediately start testing our vision on everything and anything. It's not something you can hold onto, in any forceful type of way. It's because of something that you let go, that you see better. And it's can be something so subtle, we are unable to sense it, just see it in terms of improved clarity.

Keep resting the eyes with palming several times a day if you can. Even for just a few minutes at a time. If you can, try the long swing, for a few minutes before each palming, in order to calm your nerves and visual system before the palming session. I often found that more effective, since many have trouble resting/relaxing when palming. You can't force seeing that black when palming, it only comes when the mind is in a very relaxed state.

And when Im not palming or swinging, to just focus quick on different things - to not stare and blink alot

The tricky part is that it feels as :" How could my vision improve by just shifting and moving my eyes? Its a natural thing we do 24/7, so how is this going to work? There isnt anything SPECIAL that we do in order to improve - just like working at the gym for example, if you work you will get muscular and if you not, you wont get muscles" ( I didnt mention palming and swinging because you do em for very little at a time).
(04-12-2015, 09:52 AM)gekonus Wrote:
(04-12-2015, 02:59 AM)arocarty Wrote:

And when Im not palming or swinging, to just focus quick on different things - to not stare and blink alot

The tricky part is that it feels as :" How could my vision improve by just shifting and moving my eyes? Its a natural thing we do 24/7, so how is this going to work? There isnt anything SPECIAL that we do in order to improve - just like working at the gym for example, if you work you will get muscular and if you not, you wont get muscles" ( I didnt mention palming and swinging because you do em for very little at a time).

It should be a natural thing we do 24/7, but myopes do not shift their eyes naturally the way people with normal sight do. They all stare to one degree or another, and do not shift in a fluid, relaxed manner. Sure, anyone can shift their eyes all day, but that does not mean they are doing so properly, it's just a mechanical act. Moving your eyes in a relaxed, fluid manner is only one part of the equation. Re-engaginig foveal vision is another part of that equation, seeing with central fixation, one part of something best in each moment. You should study David's approach for a lot of insight into how that is actually done. Seeing things shift, or swing, is another. Things move opposite when we make very small shifts, and when you are looking in a very relaxed manner, have the illusion of moving on their own ever so slightly. It's evidence that we are not trying to hold onto points of fixation. So you see it's not just about, oh if I can keep moving my eyes all day things will improve. There's a whole mental aspect to it. You have to learn how to let go of effort, and the silent buildup of tension that has a grasp on your eyes both physically and mentally. And this usually takes a combination of lots of rest, and relief, then the application of an approach to seeing that encourages both proper central fixation and fluid, relaxed shifting.
(04-08-2015, 06:39 AM)gekonus Wrote: When doing shifts and relaxing with central fixation, I get results , however the results come from the right eye only (its also the better eye).

gekonus,

Have you been practicing the Switching, shifting on close and far objects I taught you on Skype?

Both eyes together,

one eye at a time,

extra practice with the less clear eye,

then both eyes together again.

Only 5 min day. Skip some days.

Vary the distance. Do it on 2-5 objects at different distances.

Do the Secret switching as shown in the video.

Then try the 3rd type. Watch the video and memorize the 3 types.

All this will be in the new free PDF in 1-2 months. It can take a few tries, some boring study to get it all in your mind, but once its in there, organized; its very easy to fly through those 3 Switching variations as needed. Maybe 10 minutes.

Then the rest is just relaxation, shift til it becomes a automatic habit. Then do nothing and 'see' if the relaxation and clarity remain 'on their own'. Get the sunlight. Practice other Bates Method activities that work for you. Give them some time for effect. The sway can be done anywhere. Sway when reading the chart to prevent staring, effort to see.

Remember; vision fluctuates; its normal. Stay away from glasses and you will see clear for life.

Dr. Bates often stated that going to the movies is healthy for the vision;
This works; spend some time watching tv at night with the less clear eye. (30 minutes). Do a little shifting and tracing practice on the objects on the screen. Then do nothing. The eyes will move 'shift' on their own when watching tv because there is ALWAYS a moving object on the screen; the eyes move with what catches the mind and eyes attention and what you are interested in seeing and what the characters are saying. Memory, imagination 'mental pictures' are also automatically engaged!

Then watch with the clearest eye. Then spend the rest of tv night watching with both eyes.

Avoid the intense artificial 3-D in video games. I prefer the old type tvs.

Clark
I think eyepatches are overrated. I've used them and if you leave them on too lonng you do lose some binocularity and depth perception, and maybe even make the unpatched eye worse. IIt's rather unnatural and there's a lot of strain on the inside half of your eyeball that can also increase your astigmatism.

would not use them for more than a few minutes at a time. I myself use them situationally. I never use them inside. If I'm outside in a really good spot where there's a lot of distance and detail in front of me, I'll put the eyepatch on and make a slow big sign of the cross with my head and then take it off(sky-floor-left-right). Less than 30 seconds.

When you walk around outside, you can practice feeling more of the pull on your eye from the distance on your weaker eye. maybe lean your weaker eye a little farther out. Move your head around and you can tinker with the pull of far away distances on your eyes, which eye feels more of the pull.
Genkous;

Don't do things that pull on the eye. Don't lean the weaker eye out. That's unnatural.

Do the switching like I taught you, nice and easy.
Using the eyepatch with 5-10 minutes switching a day won't cause astigmatism.

Sorry that people on here are giving you bad advice. I will work on the Skype thing asap so we can do private training.

Clark
Thanks for the comment sleepmaster and clarknight, I'll do my best. Seeing with only the weaker eye causes alot of strain yeah
This is precisely what I would do and/or have done.

I would hold off focusing on the weaker eye altogether until youo hit the first plateau for both eyes. I'll explain, as I myself started out with a .75 diopter difference between my eyes. Right -4.0, Left -4.75. My left eye also had mild astigmatism around the 1.0 range. I started natural vision improvement and had a quick shot down to the -3.0/-3.25 area in both eyes, and then my right eye hit -2.25 six months and change after I started. But my left eye was still -3.0, and I was thinking, how do I get my damn left eye to go down?

I got an eyepatch and used it to help my left eye, and in end of my seventh month of natural vision improvement, my weaker left eye improved from -3 to -2.75 but the astigmatism jumped from .5 to 1.0. So I stopped using the eyepatch as much and my astigmatism the next month tested .5 again.

At the end of my 13th month of natural vision improvement, my astigmatism jumped from .5 to 1.0 again. The culprit was using the eyepatch more again. That test I went from -2.25 to -2.0 in my right and from -2.25 to -2.5 in my left. My vision got worse in my left uncovered eye in addition to the astigmatism jumping. So I lessened the use of the eyepatch and the left eye next month tested back at -2.25 and the astigmatism went down to .5 again.

If you're skilled at this, you should be able to feel more pull in whichever eye you choose even when looking straight ahead in the center of your field of vision. To an onlooker, I'm looking straight ahead dead center as the shift of my head to get that pull is imperceptible. It's like making your weaker eye your dominant eye in a way.

I will go for walks down my residential side street where there's no yellow line divider in the middle of street, so I'm walking dead center in the middle of the street looking straight ahead, and at the same time getting more pull in my weaker left eye. Of course if there's traffic I go off to the side and then after the car(s) pass, I move back to the middle. I listen for cars coming up behind me.

Sometimes I'll whip out the eyepatch for 10 seconds if I'm on the start of a long straightaway stretch of side street.

I'll also do some near-far focusing exercises when walking dead center in the middle of the street. I think when working on a weaker eye, near-far exercises are better than long-swinging or any any swinging for that matter. I think the eyes work together more with near-far than side-to-side, as the center of the field of vision is used more, with an up-down axis used, the weaker eye iworks more with the stronger eye and is "dragged up" by the stronger eye.

Back to the pull. If you walk along the sidewalk on the right side of a double-yellow-lined main road, if you look straight ahead, you'll naturally feel more pull in your right eye. If you walk on the left sidewalk along the left side of a main road, you'll feel the pull on your left eye. For awhile I was walking on the sidewalk on the right side of the road, and then I thought this is dumb, I should balance it out, and it helped when I did.

Somethhing else to consider. Myself, I'm right-handed, and I think drawing like that with my eyes really close to the paper is what contributed to my initial nearsightedness as a kid. I was looking right, and my left eye was looking across my body, which I think influenced the astigmatism and slightly weaker vision than my right eye.. I notice too much eyepatch weating puts excessive pull on the inside half of the eye and leads to astigmatism, similar to how too much across-the body usage of an eye can lead to astigmatism. Even though writing is a less eye-strain activity than drawing, whenever I write, I try to have what I'm writing in the center of my field of vision as much as possible, in addition to it being farther away from my comfortzone so it's a little blurry. It's a bit awkward, but so be it.
Genkous,

I got a old windows xp computer free on Craigslist and will be setting it up with a extra Skype account; just for private training of people I meet on forums. Each person is through a different Skype account with only that one person in the contact list.

This way we will have full access to typing, videos...

I will let you know when its ready in beginning of May.

Sorry for the wait.

Clark

(04-17-2015, 05:09 AM)gekonus Wrote: Thanks for the comment sleepmaster and clarknight, I'll do my best. Seeing with only the weaker eye causes alot of strain yeah

Do the switching; its only 5-10 min day. You can do 1-2 min. extra at night.

Rest of time; use both eyes together throughout the day. Use the eyes and body normally, naturally as a person with clear sight does.

A good way to learn the Bares Method is to watch children that have clear vision; see how their eyes move. How they move, walk, play.
Don't let them know you are watching their eyes or it might interfere with the natural use of the vision; they will start 'thinking' about it and that can interfere with the eyes independent function.

Will post some snapshots of new pictures here in about a week.
(04-17-2015, 07:48 AM)clarknight Wrote: Genkous,

I got a old windows xp computer free on Craigslist and will be setting it up with a extra Skype account; just for private training of people I meet on forums. Each person is through a different Skype account with only that one person in the contact list.

This way we will have full access to typing, videos...

I will let you know when its ready in beginning of May.

Sorry for the wait.

Clark

(04-17-2015, 05:09 AM)gekonus Wrote: Thanks for the comment sleepmaster and clarknight, I'll do my best. Seeing with only the weaker eye causes alot of strain yeah

Do the switching; its only 5-10 min day. You can do 1-2 min. extra at night.

Rest of time; use both eyes together throughout the day. Use the eyes and body normally, naturally as a person with clear sight does.

A good way to learn the Bares Method is to watch children that have clear vision; see how their eyes move. How they move, walk, play.
Don't let them know you are watching their eyes or it might interfere with the natural use of the vision; they will start 'thinking' about it and that can interfere with the eyes independent function.

Will post some snapshots of new pictures here in about a week.

Sure clarknight, thanks for the comment!

Yeah I am doing the plain switch+Secret switching everyday for 5-10 mins!

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now