MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Can I use Bates method?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I use Bates method?
Hello all,

I have seen Bates method exercises and many people told me it works great and may remove my eye powers.
I have -6 in both eyes. My problem is I am an IT professional and so have to spend about 8-9 hours in front of computer. Although I make sure I don't have to stare constantly at the screen and look around frequently.
So, if I follow Bates method regularly, will it improve my eye sight and help remove eye power? Anyone had such experience? Some people told me not even try Bates method as they said it will not help me at all. But I know bates method is really effective and helpful if done correctly and regularly. So what to do?
Please help.
Also let me know if you have some other tips to remove eye power naturally.
(04-22-2015, 05:28 PM)ktnptl1012 Wrote: Hello all,

I have seen Bates method exercises and many people told me it works great and may remove my eye powers.
I have -6 in both eyes. My problem is I am an IT professional and so have to spend about 8-9 hours in front of computer. Although I make sure I don't have to stare constantly at the screen and look around frequently.
So, if I follow Bates method regularly, will it improve my eye sight and help remove eye power? Anyone had such experience? Some people told me not even try Bates method as they said it will not help me at all. But I know bates method is really effective and helpful if done correctly and regularly. So what to do?
Please help.

Welcome, you've come to the right place if you are looking for natural vision improvement. Many have had success learning and applying the principles discovered by Bates, even people with over twice the amount of refractive error. It does not matter what other people think, what matters most is that you believe that you can help yourself. You cannot change what other people believe if they don't want to believe it themselves. That is their loss. Just always remember that you are doing this for YOU, not them. You are unhappy with what has happened to your own vision, and are taking matters into your own hands, not relying on conventional methods to dictate that you have to accept this for the rest of your life.

There's a million reasons why people fail at vision improvement, and you too will experience many failures and much frustration. Forget about the failures, keep your focus on what brings, or will bring your success - keep reminding yourself and asking yourself several times a day, what are the things you should be doing to bring rest and relief to your eyes, what things should you be doing to use the eyes correctly. You won't overcome this in a day, but by being persistent, patient, and positive you will start to turn the tide.

Sitting stationary on our butts all day is not healthy for the body, eyes, or mind. Such is the modern lifestyle and what the education system has done to us. As an IT person too, I know what it's like to sit in front of our binary friends all day long. In addition to learning the principles of natural vision, you want to find as many ways as possible to counteract the ill effects of sitting still all day, looking at stationary objects.

How do you start? Educate yourself, learn the principles of how to use the eyes correctly - using central fixation and natural easy shifting. Bates articulates this in his book, and monthly magazines. Learn how to get rest and relief to the visual system through swinging, palming, closing the eyes, using the memory and imagination. Read David's introduction on this site and his approach to shifting and fixation.

Strengthen and correct your posture if you are sitting for many hours. Get a good diet and get as much exercise as possible. Get outdoors as much as possible, in bright light, and engage in activities that encourage you to move, use your peripheral, and focus at varying distances. Vision improvement is lifestyle change as well; if you keep doing the same things the same way you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten. Break your personal habitual patterns, and change will come.
You said you're an IT professional. Do you have a cublcle or your own office? If you have your own office it's better, because you can use the computer without corrective lenses, without looking strange with how close you'll need to put your face to the screen. And then as your vision improves, you'll grow into being able to use a computer without glasses more comfortably. Not using lenses for up close work and spending lots of time outdoors without lenses are probably the two best things you can do to initially improve your vision.
I notice the new computer screens have a mirror like glass cover. I like this. If its nice a flat, no waves; it can be used like a mirror to see a reflection of objects in the far distance in it; not as perfect as looking out the window to the far but it helps break up that focusing at one distance for hours.
(04-25-2015, 09:16 AM)clarknight Wrote: I notice the new computer screens have a mirror like glass cover. I like this. If its nice a flat, no waves; it can be used like a mirror to see a reflection of objects in the far distance in it; not as perfect as looking out the window to the far but it helps break up that focusing at one distance for hours.

I'm afraid this doesn't help much, if at all.
Reflected objects can be in the distance (and you can even think you look at the distance) but it doesn't matter to your lens which has to contract a lot in order to pick up reflextion from the screen which stands a feet or two in front of you. In other words - you can perhaps cheat your mind but nothing changes to your eyes physically. (The only benefit here can be that since you can think for a moment you're looking at the distance - your mind may be a bit more relaxed.)

ktnptl1012

You need to start with something. Have you already heard of palming?
It's one of the basic exercises, and it's not an exercise in the real sense - since you don't have to do anything but to close your eyes, cover them very gently with your palms and fingers, without any pressure that will restrict your bloodflow in and around your eyes but placing them so that you block the light and try to imagine darkness and if possible - blackness.

When I say try - don't take it too literally. Basically you relax your mind and wait for those stars and all kind of light and colours that you may see at first to pass and with time you'll see darker and darker. Don't attempt to relax as such attempt usually creates extra tension. Rather picture in your mind things you like, or picture yourself walking in the dark night. Imagining things like a black ball moving around in the shape of number '8' is also pretty helpful.

Palming is good both to your mind and eyes. It relaxes them. Then when you open your eyes and if palming was successful - you'll see the things a bit clearer for some time. Enough to do some of more 'active' exercises which you find beneficial in your case or just if you don't have time for other exercises - to continue with what you were doing till that moment.

Do palming whenever you can, many times a day and my suggestion is at least six minutes per sitting. Breeth slowly through your nose, exchaling a bit slower than inhaling and don't tense any part of your body. You need good bloodflow and warm hands.

Palming is an excercise for relaxation and it's not the only one. Soon you'll discover there are more of them.
Relaxation is an important thing in any vision improvement program.
Actually, there's almost a consensus about it here - no relaxation no improvement.

Natural vision improvement methods are for people who want to relax.

First time you relax to a certain extent and see clearer afterwards even for a few seconds - you'll realize how much relaxation is important. Just don't try to force things. When you work on your eyes force is useless and almost every time counterproductive.

That's it from me this time.

Over. Wink
(04-25-2015, 03:14 PM)Aureus Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 09:16 AM)clarknight Wrote: I notice the new computer screens have a mirror like glass cover. I like this. If its nice a flat, no waves; it can be used like a mirror to see a reflection of objects in the far distance in it; not as perfect as looking out the window to the far but it helps break up that focusing at one distance for hours.

I'm afraid this doesn't help much, if at all.
Reflected objects can be in the distance (and you can even think you look at the distance) but it doesn't matter to your lens which has to contract a lot in order to pick up reflextion from the screen which stands a feet or two in front of you. In other words - you can perhaps cheat your mind but nothing changes to your eyes physically. (The only benefit here can be that since you can think for a moment you're looking at the distance - your mind may be a bit more relaxed.)

ktnptl1012

You need to start with something. Have you already heard of palming?
It's one of the basic exercises, and it's not an exercise in the real sense - since you don't have to do anything but to close your eyes, cover them very gently with your palms and fingers, without any pressure that will restrict your bloodflow in and around your eyes but placing them so that you block the light and try to imagine darkness and if possible - blackness.

When I say try - don't take it too literally. Basically you relax your mind and wait for those stars and all kind of light and colours that you may see at first to pass and with time you'll see darker and darker. Don't attempt to relax as such attempt usually creates extra tension. Rather picture in your mind things you like, or picture yourself walking in the dark night. Imagining things like a black ball moving around in the shape of number '8' is also pretty helpful.

Palming is good both to your mind and eyes. It relaxes them. Then when you open your eyes and if palming was successful - you'll see the things a bit clearer for some time. Enough to do some of more 'active' exercises which you find beneficial in your case or just if you don't have time for other exercises - to continue with what you were doing till that moment.

Do palming whenever you can, many times a day and my suggestion is at least six minutes per sitting. Breeth slowly through your nose, exchaling a bit slower than inhaling and don't tense any part of your body. You need good bloodflow and warm hands.

Palming is an excercise for relaxation and it's not the only one. Soon you'll discover there are more of them.
Relaxation is an important thing in any vision improvement program.
Actually, there's almost a consensus about it here - no relaxation no improvement.

Natural vision improvement methods are for people who want to relax.

First time you relax to a certain extent and see clearer afterwards even for a few seconds - you'll realize how much relaxation is important. Just don't try to force things. When you work on your eyes force is useless and almost every time counterproductive.

That's it from me this time.

Over. Wink

Aureus;

Reflections of far objects in mirrors, windows DOES WORK.

Study optics, how light works in the eye;

Try yourself; look at a close object in a mirror, then at a far object in the mirror; the eyes move inward 'converge' when looking at the close.
They diverge; move outward straight when looking at the far.

Now try this; place your hand in front of the mirror, same distance as the computer; look at the hand. Then look at a far object in the mirror; the same convergence, divergence occurs.

Convergence, divergence occurs with, at the same time as accommodation, un-accommodation of the eyes' and lens shape; [Source: Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Vol 39, 2140-2147, Copyright © 1998 by Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology; ARTICLES AND REPORTS. "Eye elongation during accommodation in humans: differences between emmetropes and myopes"; W Drexler, O Findl, L Schmetterer, CK Hitzenberger and AF Fercher; Institute of Medical Physics, University of Vienna, Austria.]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9761293

Note; eye doctors still won't admit that Dr. Bates is correct; that the eye can change shape to produce accommodation, un-accommodation.
Quote: Reflections of far objects in mirrors, windows DOES WORK.

I have never played much with mirrors but when I think about it again it seems you may be right.

To get back on the track.

ktnptl1012

1 You need some eye chart. There are many of them on the Internet. Download some and make a nice clean print on a good paper. You'll need an eyechart (or you can have several of them like I do) both for practising and testing your vision from time to time. Just don't get obssesed with testing - once in three weeks or a month is just fine as vision doesn't improve very quickly.

When practising - with your dioptres - you won't see any letter from 20 ft or 10 ft but you may recognize at least the biggest ones from a couple of feet. Start with the distance you're comfortable with whatever it is. Later when you sharpen your vision you'll increase the distance. That's one way of doing things.

2 You also need to try not using your glasses (or contacts) all the time. I know without them you feel almost helpless as you don't see much past your nose. But you do need to take them off in some situations when nothing bad can happen to you when you don't use them.

Of course, you can't abandon the glasses entirely now; with -6 it's impossible. But what you can do is to try finding some friendly optometrist who'll make you the glasses with which you can see 20/40 which is quite OK for most daily activities. Usually those undercorrected glasses have one dioptre less than your normal glasses so - that may be your guideline if you don't find such friendly optormetrist. Smile

If you have some cylinders in your prescriptions too then one needs to decide whether to keep them in undercorrected glasses or not. Usually small cylinders can be left out but medium or high values not so easily.

3 In any case you need to learn to accept the blur. And to look at the things without trying hard to see them. Just scan them with the soft-looking eye.

4 Don't forget to give us some feedback.
What you have already done.
What kind of difficulties you have.
What you don't understand now.
Etc.

Over. Wink
(04-28-2015, 05:34 AM)Aureus Wrote: Quote: Reflections of far objects in mirrors, windows DOES WORK.

I have never played much with mirrors but when I think about it again it seems you may be right.

To get back on the track.

ktnptl1012

1 You need some eye chart. There are many of them on the Internet. Download some and make a nice clean print on a good paper. You'll need an eyechart (or you can have several of them like I do) both for practising and testing your vision from time to time. Just don't get obssesed with testing - once in three weeks or a month is just fine as vision doesn't improve very quickly.

When practising - with your dioptres - you won't see any letter from 20 ft or 10 ft but you may recognize at least the biggest ones from a couple of feet. Start with the distance you're comfortable with whatever it is. Later when you sharpen your vision you'll increase the distance. That's one way of doing things.

2 You also need to try not using your glasses (or contacts) all the time. I know without them you feel almost helpless as you don't see much past your nose. But you do need to take them off in some situations when nothing bad can happen to you when you don't use them.

Of course, you can't abandon the glasses entirely now; with -6 it's impossible. But what you can do is to try finding some friendly optometrist who'll make you the glasses with which you can see 20/40 which is quite OK for most daily activities. Usually those undercorrected glasses have one dioptre less than your normal glasses so - that may be your guideline if you don't find such friendly optormetrist. Smile

If you have some cylinders in your prescriptions too then one needs to decide whether to keep them in undercorrected glasses or not. Usually small cylinders can be left out but medium or high values not so easily.

3 In any case you need to learn to accept the blur. And to look at the things without trying hard to see them. Just scan them with the soft-looking eye.

4 Don't forget to give us some feedback.
What you have already done.
What kind of difficulties you have.
What you don't understand now.
Etc.

Over. Wink

Your are smart Aureus to prefer real objects.

Does seem like the mirror should not enable convergence, divergence because its a flat surface. Years ago I asked my teacher about it. At that time he did not have time to give full answer; said its something to do with optics.

I figure a mirror is not as best as the real thing. It cold cause astigmatism if it contains waves, uneven areas.

I have a new monitor with glass over it; nice and even perfect reflection. But then; I am looking through glass to see the screen. Oh well...

Those drug store cheap reading glasses often have waves, incorrect PD; cause lot vision problems.

(04-22-2015, 05:28 PM)ktnptl1012 Wrote: Hello all,

Please help.

Have you tried this; http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id8.html If one eye has less clear sight; Do 30 seconds to 1 minute extra practice with the less clear eye to get the sight equal in both eyes. Then eyesight improves faster.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now