MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New and Need Guidance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New and Need Guidance
Hello,

I've been lurking for about a week now to learn more about the Bates Method and finally decided to make a thread. (And also reading "Relearning to See" by Thomas Quackenbush) I started very recently and have several questions. I have severe Myopia (-8 with astigmatism) and I feel like the Bates Method is geared towards people with moderate Myopia. I cannot just take off my glasses as I can't see anything past my nose and I am also studying for 8 hours a day. As summer break comes to a close tomorrow, I am wondering how I would apply it to my life where I am(for 8 hours a day in highschool) constantly doing near work and looking at blackboards/laptops/projectors. I am thinking that taking off my glasses is not a wise decision as my studies would suffer and that taking frequent breaks to look out the classroom windows would be a good idea. Am I right or is there more/something else I could do? Thank you!
(09-06-2015, 03:51 PM)Ahigazy Wrote: Hello,

I've been lurking for about a week now to learn more about the Bates Method and finally decided to make a thread. (And also reading "Relearning to See" by Thomas Quackenbush) I started very recently and have several questions. I have severe Myopia (-8 with astigmatism) and I feel like the Bates Method is geared towards people with moderate Myopia. I cannot just take off my glasses as I can't see anything past my nose and I am also studying for 8 hours a day. As summer break comes to a close tomorrow, I am wondering how I would apply it to my life where I am(for 8 hours a day in highschool) constantly doing near work and looking at blackboards/laptops/projectors. I am thinking that taking off my glasses is not a wise decision as my studies would suffer and that taking frequent breaks to look out the classroom windows would be a good idea. Am I right or is there more/something else I could do? Thank you!

Bates treated people with much higher myopia, people near blindness, with all sorts of severe diseases and eye conditions. People with severe disablilities, far worse than myopia, are continually overcoming great odds, getting their diplomas, undergrad, graduate, and doctorates all the time. One of the most important things you can do to start out is to forget about what you cannot do, and direct your energy and attention to the things that you can do, regardless of the situation. Of those 8 hrs. in school, ask yourself how many actually demand looking at the distant boards, how many are spent listening, or participating in other activities. Are you involved in any activities which bring you outdoors, or don't involve projectors and reading? Where can you get by without using full strength lenses, or with very weak reading lenses? Of course you are not in this to compromise your education, and nobody wants you to do anything that would lead to that end. But you must be unhappy about depending on lenses, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Start with little things, shorter moments of the day, and see what your level of tolerance is in each timeframe. You'd be surprised at what you can do once you start, and can gradually increase time spend with using your natural vision.
(09-09-2015, 03:25 AM)arocarty Wrote:

Bates treated people with much higher myopia, people near blindness, with all sorts of severe diseases and eye conditions. People with severe disablilities, far worse than myopia, are continually overcoming great odds, getting their diplomas, undergrad, graduate, and doctorates all the time. One of the most important things you can do to start out is to forget about what you cannot do, and direct your energy and attention to the things that you can do, regardless of the situation. Of those 8 hrs. in school, ask yourself how many actually demand looking at the distant boards, how many are spent listening, or participating in other activities. Are you involved in any activities which bring you outdoors, or don't involve projectors and reading? Where can you get by without using full strength lenses, or with very weak reading lenses? Of course you are not in this to compromise your education, and nobody wants you to do anything that would lead to that end. But you must be unhappy about depending on lenses, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Start with little things, shorter moments of the day, and see what your level of tolerance is in each timeframe. You'd be surprised at what you can do once you start, and can gradually increase time spend with using your natural vision.

Thanks for the push in the right direction! I guess I'll do what I can when I can then. Do you have any book reccomendations on/based on the Bates Method?
(09-11-2015, 03:56 PM)Ahigazy Wrote:

Thanks for the push in the right direction! I guess I'll do what I can when I can then. Do you have any book reccomendations on/based on the Bates Method?

The book you have from Quackenbush, anything from Janet Goodrich, The Art of Seeing from Aldux Huxley. Of course Bates' Perfect Sight Without Glasses, and all the Better Eyesight Magazines.
(09-23-2015, 02:02 AM)arocarty Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 03:56 PM)Ahigazy Wrote:

The book you have from Quackenbush, anything from Janet Goodrich, The Art of Seeing from Aldux Huxley. Of course Bates' Perfect Sight Without Glasses, and all the Better Eyesight Magazines.

Yes to everything arocarty wrote. Additional book suggestions: anything by Meir Schneider who grew up reading Braille and emphasizes whole body movement, and "Take Off Your Glasses and See" by Jacob Liberman. Consider that you are embarking on a great adventure. I'm glad you're here.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download