MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Saccades, memory, imagination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saccades, memory, imagination
Hi,
It is only hammer here with some neurobiology thoughts around vision. Rolleyes

Did you know that a saccade (fast shift) can last for 20% of a second and during this time we cannot see anything really because the eyes moves too fast. The interesting thing is that the solution to this flickering problem is that the brain needs a memory to store visual information. Memory, you know that from Bates right.

The second thing I wanted to bring up is that we only see one point (the fovea) really clearly. That means that the rest of the visual field is anticipated and built up by the brain (imagination). I now understand that this could actually be scary. Because when you think about it you think you see everything when you for instance drive a car, but in reality what you believe you see doesn't have to be what is really out there in reality. And all of a sudden there could be an accident. Imagination, yeah I know that from Bates too by now. Tongue

I am investigating saccades a little bit more now. I have a feeling that this is the solution to my myopia problems. Long swing helps out to relax the eyes such that the saccades becomes more effortless, and the palming improves memory/imagination. Quite good combination there.
However there is still a third component missing in the puzzle. I'm trying to find out what it is. I think I know what it is but I tell you in some post later.

Here is one video I happened to watch that explains these things a little:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHghr2AnN0

This shows the problem that the saccades actually are needed for. In other words without saccades the eyes cannot focus on a detail (this is thus the problem that the saccades solves). This is how it should look like if your saccades fail to focus on a detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK353Bh-s7k

Adjos Amigos
(10-21-2015, 01:47 PM)hammer Wrote: Hi,

Did you know that a saccade (fast shift) can last for 20% of a second and during this time we cannot see anything really because the eyes moves too fast. The interesting thing is that the solution to this flickering problem is that the brain needs a memory to store visual information. Memory, you know that from Bates right.

The second thing I wanted to bring up is that we only see one point (the fovea) really clearly. That means that the rest of the visual field is anticipated and built up by the brain (imagination). I now understand that this could actually be scary. Because when you think about it you think you see everything when you for instance drive a car, but in reality what you believe you see doesn't have to be what is really out there in reality. And all of a sudden there could be an accident. Imagination, yeah I know that from Bates too by now. Tongue

I am investigating saccades a little bit more now. I have a feeling that this is the solution to my myopia problems. Long swing helps out to relax the eyes such that the saccades becomes more effortless, and the palming improves memory/imagination. Quite good combination there.
However there is still a third component missing in the puzzle. I'm trying to find out what it is. I think I know what it is but I tell you in some post later.

This shows the problem that the saccades actually are needed for. In other words without saccades the eyes cannot focus on a detail (this is thus the problem that the saccades solves). This is how it should look like if your saccades fail to focus on a detail:

Adjos Amigos

Hmm..... Very interesting. That guy in the neurobiology video looked really weird. But anyway, you mentioned imagination and memory. Interestingly, chronic stress taxes the hippo-campus; the area of the brain associated with memories. Maybe the fear of seeing, and disruptions in the seeing process disturbs the hippo-campus, and breaks down visual acuity. Additionally, I didn't know that the eye could rotate in place. Check out these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GliSCGkpZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dn6t5JS1ME

Very good stuff indeed.
(10-21-2015, 05:47 PM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:

Adjos Amigos

Hmm..... Very interesting. That guy in the neurobiology video looked really weird. But anyway, you mentioned imagination and memory. Interestingly, chronic stress taxes the hippo-campus; the area of the brain associated with memories. Maybe the fear of seeing, and disruptions in the seeing process disturbs the hippo-campus, and breaks down visual acuity. Additionally, I didn't know that the eye could rotate in place. Check out these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GliSCGkpZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dn6t5JS1ME

Very good stuff indeed.

Good point there.
Maybe the software gets into some mode of processing that wasn't really meant to be used normally. And then the software could no longer recover since the memory was affected (got corrupt) in some negative way during the stress.
I've read that monkeys have 4 saccades per second compared to just one saccade per second for a human. The saccades for a monkey is faster.
I believe that a human have two software routines stored in the "memory", one normal one, and one more original one that actually is the one monkeys have. That is what I personally Believe, I should say. And my theory, and that is what I want to check up, is if it is possible to get out of the corrupted visual habits and instead use the "monkey software". Then "voila" you would get perfect vision. Smile

Eyes rotating, yes, when you move the Eyes in some direction than all eye-muscles are actually working together simultaneously. It is a false belief that just one Eye muscle is Active so to say one at a time. That is not the case, and it is because the Eye movements gets much smoother and accurate if all Eye muscles are working all the time together. Then in other Words you could trace objects and focus on moving details much more smoothly. You are definitely not aware of the Eyes when they rotate, and that is because these movements also are controlled with saccades (no will involved there).
I think Bates trained rotating with swaying.

Adjos Amigos

quick question. Does the man in the video have a neurological condition? I watched the video a second time and it struck me how odd his eyes were moving. I mean I know the normal person has saccadic eye movement, but this is just crazy. His eyes jerk around and move like crazy.
I just imagine a clearer version of what I'm seeing, well my mind does that automatically when I see say branchy tree tops in the distance that are far enough away to be not just blurry but very burry and faint, then I short-swing at them to see what a clearer version of what I'm looking at, and my mind then automatically imagines thatt or something closer to that is what I'm seeing.
(12-31-2015, 07:33 AM)sleepmaster Wrote: I just imagine a clearer version of what I'm seeing, well my mind does that automatically when I see say branchy tree tops in the distance that are far enough away to be not just blurry but very burry and faint, then I short-swing at them to see what a clearer version of what I'm looking at, and my mind then automatically imagines thatt or something closer to that is what I'm seeing.

I kinda do the same thing but I couple it with a sense of fluidity. Before, I used to be rigid with my shifts but now, I've improved somewhat and the gritty feeling in the eyes is subsiding somewhat.
(12-31-2015, 01:26 PM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 07:33 AM)sleepmaster Wrote: I just imagine a clearer version of what I'm seeing, well my mind does that automatically when I see say branchy tree tops in the distance that are far enough away to be not just blurry but very burry and faint, then I short-swing at them to see what a clearer version of what I'm looking at, and my mind then automatically imagines thatt or something closer to that is what I'm seeing.

I kinda do the same thing but I couple it with a sense of fluidity. Before, I used to be rigid with my shifts but now, I've improved somewhat and the gritty feeling in the eyes is subsiding somewhat.

Can you clarity what you mean by a gritty feeling in the eyes?
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now