MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Undeserved Improvement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undeserved Improvement
Hi All,

I haven't logged in here, what had been my main stomping ground for vision related learning and sharing, since November of 2013. It's been at least as long since I have spent any time doing eye "exercises" like shifting, blinking, palming, swinging.
I have in fact felt pessimistic about ever having normal sight, having found it to be an up hill battle to regain better vision.
Well, interestingly, lately, I have been taking off my reduced prescription glasses now and then and have noticed a shift. More objects are crisp even if emerging out of haze. Things are sparkling and alive the instant I remove my glasses and it lasts for some time, as long as I don't add strain. When I start to get excited and that excitement turns to attachment and worry, I find myself breathing through it and recentering myself. My daily meditation practice seems to be the only thing contributing to this unexpected change. It very well might be gone tomorrow but I'm enjoying while it lasts!
That signature Bates quote I chose way back really expresses this current development.

There seems to be a strong paradox in that I am much less attached to the idea of perfect vision for myself and now I have mire if the relaxation necessary to experience some clearing. My priority is with my happiness, the well being of the family I am starting (baby boy due in 2 weeks!). If I am wearing glasses for comfort or convenience I don't feel that I've let myself down or I am failing. Nobody cares. Vision improvement is a goal that can become an unhealthy obsession. It was for me and I think I've seen that for others on this forum. Keep things in perspective. Be loving to yourself.
I don't doubt, however, that it is because I had a long period of experimenting with my vision in the past that this is happening. My mind is familiar with what works and what doesn't. It can access that when relaxed and relatively unstressed. - this is conjecture here, of course!

Okay! Now I what to check out recent posts and see what you all have been up to. Wink
(10-29-2015, 08:04 PM)otto Wrote: That signature Bates quote I chose way back really expresses this current development.

There seems to be a strong paradox in that I am much less attached to the idea of perfect vision for myself and now I have mire if the relaxation necessary to experience some clearing. My priority is with my happiness the well being of the family I am starting (baby boy due in 2 weeks!). If I am wearing glasses for comfort or convenience I don't feel that I've let myself down or I am failing. Nobody cares. Vision improvement is a goal that can become an unhealthy obsession. It was for me and I think I've seen that for others on this forum. Keep things in perspective. Be loving to yourself.
I don't doubt, however, that it is because I had a long period of experimenting with my vision in the past that this is happening. My mind is familiar with what works and what doesn't. It can access that when relaxed and relatively unstressed. - this is conjecture here, of course!

Okay! No I what to check out recent posts and see what you all have been up to. Wink

Welcome back, Otto, and good for you! I'm probably one of the obsessed ones, and have been finding that overall relaxation does as much for me as dedicated eye exercises. You'll see my many blog articles on having a more relaxed positive mindset about vision. I totally believe in meditation. I have a friend in my energy medicine program who did no eye exercises at all, and just from meditation lowered her mild prescription enough to pass the DMV test without glasses. Oh, and congrats on the new baby!
Quote:Welcome back, Otto, and good for you! I'm probably one of the obsessed ones, and have been finding that overall relaxation does as much for me as dedicated eye exercises. You'll see my many blog articles on having a more relaxed positive mindset about vision. I totally believe in meditation. I have a friend in my energy medicine program who did no eye exercises at all, and just from meditation lowered her mild prescription enough to pass the DMV test without glasses. Oh, and congrats on the new baby!

Hi Nancy! So cool to see you are still on the forum spreading your experience and perspective. You are a wonderful presence on here, so positive and you don't seem to get mired in any dogma. Looks like you've managed to keep the obsession positive!
Congrats on the improvement! You're such a great example!
I look forward to scouring your blog for inspiration.

Just an add to my post above; there might be another possible contributing factor to the improved vision. I've been playing with diaphragmatic breathing techniques.
Recently, I was inspired by hearing Wim Hof, the "Ice Man" talk about his many record-breaking stunts and the breathing techniques that allow him to do it. What interested me the most is that he says he can control his immune system responses and this has been proven in scientific labs. His techniques are similar to thumma which is a collection of breathwork techniques from Tibet to help monks overcome the cold climate.
Anyway, the theory as we understand it today(or part of it) is that you can oxygenate your system with deep diaphragmatic breathing. It seems that this is having an influence on my visual system, making it function more effectively.
I was not practicing these things to affect my vision and Wim Hof doesn't talk specifically about vision, as far as I know.
Incidentally, and not really related, Hof froze his retinas to the point of blindness while swimming under 3ft of arctic ice! Almost led to his death as he could not find the ice hole to get back to the surface. His eyes thawed out once back on the surface side and his vision returned. The eyes are very resilient!

Sorry if this thread is looking like it should be in the complimentary methods board! ;D
otto, nice to see you back!

Did you watch Wim Hof on Joe Rogan recently?
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
(10-31-2015, 11:08 PM)David Wrote: otto, nice to see you back!

Did you watch Wim Hof on Joe Rogan recently?

Ha! Yeah. Well, listened to the podcast anyway.
He is pretty energized and charismatic, Wim. I bet self-hypnosis plays into his abilities quite a bit, whether he thinks of it that way or not.
Self-hypnosis is a whole other topic in regards to vision. Maybe in another post...

Good to be back, David, and good to see the site continues to develop and thrive.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now