MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Can't understand how central fixation is performed..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't understand how central fixation is performed..
Hi all,

I'm Roge, a new member on this forum. I was searching and reading all I could about vision improvement naturally all over the net. I'm so glad I can find this forum and listen to the testimonials of you guys.

I've been wearing glasses for 5 years already(now 18). My lens prescription is -3.25 for both eyes, myopia. Truthfuly, although my eyesight is very bad, I don't depend on my glasses all the time and only wear it when it is necessary.

I've been doing palming recently and I do realize a clear flash after doing it. I also do sun gazing when the sun is not too direct or maybe on a cloudy day. But it seems, the method that actually improve the eyes is central fixation? I've been reading what is central fixation, that is seeing best where I'm looking at and others not, but I don't know how to perform it.

I have the Snellen chart on the wall, I tried central fixation based on what I believe how it's perform. I look at a letter and 'try' to see it best and agree that the letter beside it is not. Then I move on to another letter doing the same thing. After performing that, my eyes feels strained and tired...

Can someone explain to me please how central fixation is performed please.

Thank you.
Your eyes feel tired because you're trying too hard and straining, attempting to force your eyes to give the result you want. The Bates Method is based entirely upon relaxation, all these techniques are just trying to help you achieve that end.

Look up this page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://iblindness.org/books/maccracken/ch17.html">http://iblindness.org/books/maccracken/ch17.html</a><!-- m --> around the end of the page: 2,3 and fourth last paragraphs I think.

The intent is to in a relaxed manner simply observe and note the appearance of the letters around the letter you are currently looking at. It may be that those other latter are clearer, or not as clear as the letter you are looking at. Regardless, you are to continue, with a relaxed attention, to observe these letters. Your attention should be given to this activity with a devotion similar to a favorite activity and if you are attentive, your vision should eventually begin to relax and centrally fixate.
How much time do you usually spend palming?

Urban: I think it's quite wrong to say that Bates's method is solely about relaxation. While there is definitely something to be found in relaxation and the relief from strain is very important to the process, actually retraining the eyes to see correctly is the important part.

For about a year after I threw away my glasses in May 2005, I didn't do much more than palming or light sungazing. As a result my eyesight didn't improve very much. Disappointed, I reread Bates's original book, and also checked out his disciple Peppard's Sight Without Glasses and the more contemporary Relearning to See by Quackenbush. The knowledge I took from these books is what quickly led to the clear flash I had that never went away.

In my experience, swinging is the most beneficial technique when it comes to improving central fixation, so swing somewhere comfortable, and in favorable lighting (David has a good thread about it here). It's important to emphasize good eye-habits all day long as well--blinking, keeping yourself from staring--but I've found that the more you swing, the less you have to worry about remembering those things in that they automatically become your nature.

This advice is to all the overpalmers out there who are frustrated by their lack of progress, and it comes from someone who was in your shoes: practice makes perfect. Put some classical music on and swing for as much free time as you can manage. Do at least 16 minutes at a time, but ideally you'll do much more than that. You could do it for hours at a time or do a half hour when you get up and before you go to bed. Yes, everyone has something to do in life, but no one is without free time. You all owe it to yourselves.
Central fixation is not a process but a state. It cannot be "performed" but reached.

When you look at a new point, notice that the point you've been looking at one step before is now seen worse. Seeing worse means not seeing blurrier, but seeing without paying attention, outside of the central spot. It is similar to seeing with your peripheral vision - you notice an object (particularly a moving one) but can't tell exactly what it is like, because you are not looking at it.

A mistake is to force to literally see the previous point and then make that seeing "worse". Another mistake is that while you are regarding the previous point as seen worse, you do it too long and begin staring at the current point. In other words, you should shift frequently and don't stop for too long.

I have found recently that I didn't fully realize the value of that Bates' "seeing worse". I always emphasized on "worse", whereas I should also have used "seeing". My latest observation is that when I am regarding a single point at a time on my way to the state of central fixation, by simply realizing the entire view field, up to the far periphery, without trying to discern anything there, but only being aware of it, caused me a feeling of great relief and much easier flashes than usual. It feels like you no longer force your field of vision to contract to a particular point you strain to see better, but let the entire view field flood your head. Bates calls it the "universal swing". It seems paradoxial with the one-point-at-a-time principle, but the right understanding comes with practice.
Diverting from the regarded point and noticing the periphery turns your mind away from seeing as doing and switches it to the mode of seeing as non-doing. The same thing happens when you practice remembering the black dot.

I agree with Ridley that all Bates practices are connected, and when you start one of them, the others turn on automatically. If you try to separate them, they won't work.
May I suggest why I think there is a clear flash after palming... I could be wrong, very wrong.. but let me explain..

Could it be that when palming(that is no light entering the eyes), the iris of the eye shrink to let as much light into the eyes. Then when the eyes are open and light enters thru, a sudden of bright light will cause the iris to expand quickly that it makes a small opening for light to enter(to protect the retina perhaps). Thus this small opening acts similarly to when the eyes are squinted. That is why we see a clear flash for a while..
Yes, the iris contracts and indeed it acts like a squint, but it does not matter, because true clear flashes last noticeably longer and feel much better than momentary iris contraction or eye watering or hard blink or whatever explanation your mind will invent because it just cannot believe Bates method works. Furthermore, I tell you that even when you begin experiencing the true clear flashes, you will keep telling yourself that it's impossible and you shouldn't have experienced it, after it ends. Fortunately, finally you will no longer be able to ignore facts and accept that it's possible that Bates method works for you and  it's ok for you that you have clear flashes and get cured.

Clear flashes are not, actually a momentarily thing. In my experience, a clear flash is quite stable state, which comes and goes slowly and not very sensitive to what you are currently doing. If you are doing all right, the flash will continue and deepen, if you are doing it wrong, it will slowly fade out. Measured in tens of seconds or even minutes. The state of vision has inertia. When you palm or swing or whatever Bates, you give it a gentle push and may see a little improvement, but it will then fall back into place. If you keep rocking it, the mass will fall over into the true clear flash, the other stable state. Out of excitement, you forget to keep the correct vision pattern and the stone comes back into the strained position soon.
Well said Oleg K.  My experience of clear flashes is mostly as you suggest, gently in and out over several seconds and maybe a minute or two.  I did have one clear flash that seemed to appear quite suddenly but faded gradually. 

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download