MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Is it possible to get glasses that improve vision for just up to 10 feet or so?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to get glasses that improve vision for just up to 10 feet or so?
I have been diligently working on relaxing my eyes and changing my bad habits. I have had so much progress that I am nervous to get reduced 20/40 glasses. I have to go to gett my prescription anyways but I trust you guys more :p

I was able to get this far by not wearing glasses for 2 months because I was job searching, so every time my eyes are open I get to practice good habits. I am now employed but i dont start until aug 15. It is in lab research so I need to be able to see up close but i have no such need to even see 15 feet away when I am working.  My last prescription was about -5.25 and I am still working on trying to get my new Snellen chart to lay flat after delivery!

Does anyone have any advice or ideas of what worked for them? I will still be taking off glasses at any minute i don't need them and prapractice relaxation techniques for hours a day. Could I just get glasses that are a small correction to see up close, like -1 diopter ? Or is that not even how glasses work?
(07-29-2016, 08:07 AM)egkopin Wrote: I have been diligently working on relaxing my eyes and changing my bad habits. I have had so much progress that I am nervous to get reduced 20/40 glasses. I have to go to gett my prescription anyways but I trust you guys more :p

I was able to get this far by not wearing glasses for 2 months because I was job searching, so every time my eyes are open I get to practice good habits. I am now employed but i dont start until aug 15. It is in lab research so I need to be able to see up close but i have no such need to even see 15 feet away when I am working.  My last prescription was about -5.25 and I am still working on trying to get my new Snellen chart to lay flat after delivery!

Does anyone have any advice or ideas of what worked for them? I will still be taking off glasses at any minute i don't need them and prapractice relaxation techniques for hours a day. Could I just get glasses that are a small correction to see up close, like -1 diopter ? Or is that not even how glasses work?

Many of us who have reduced our prescription over time did it with on-line glasses from Zenni Optical. I had a few pairs of different strengths I kept in my car, stronger for driving at night, weaker for a sunny day, etc. Zenni is extremely inexpensive and the glasses are of good quality, so you might investigate this. You're right that you don't want glasses any stronger than you need them, which is one type of visual strain, and not being able to see because you really do still need some correction is another.
(07-29-2016, 01:48 PM)Nancy Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 08:07 AM)egkopin Wrote: I have been diligently working on relaxing my eyes and changing my bad habits. I have had so much progress that I am nervous to get reduced 20/40 glasses. I have to go to gett my prescription anyways but I trust you guys more :p

Many of us who have reduced our prescription over time did it with on-line glasses from Zenni Optical. I had a few pairs of different strengths I kept in my car, stronger for driving at night, weaker for a sunny day, etc. Zenni is extremely inexpensive and the glasses are of good quality, so you might investigate this. You're right that you don't want glasses any stronger than you need them, which is one type of visual strain, and not being able to see because you really do still need some correction is another.

Thanks Nancy. From your experience do you have a suggestion of a strength for me to get? I have a fewfrom Zenni but now they are too strong for the job. It will be involving a lot of close up work, but not close enough to use no lenses.
Smile 
(07-29-2016, 02:00 PM)egkopin Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 01:48 PM)Nancy Wrote:

Thanks Nancy. From your experience do you have a suggestion of a strength for me to get? I have a fewfrom Zenni but now they are too strong for the job. It will be involving a lot of close up work, but not close enough to use no lenses.

I'd err on the side of getting them too weak, so at worst you can "grow into them" as your vision continues to improve even if you can’t use them now. It's too bad you don't have an eye chart set up you're familiar with which is unrolled (little joke) so you can test how well you see with the new glasses when they come. I don't have experience seeing out of your eyes (smile), but if you're mostly functioning without glasses, you may not need as much correction as you think. Maybe start with a pair of -3s and a pair of -2s, and see how they are? This is a pure guess on my part.

I grew up with thick glasses, and part of what got me into the progressive myopia cycle of stronger glasses every year was wearing them all the time, even for reading, because the eye doctor and my parents kept telling me to. Now I'd much prefer to get closer to something I have to see, like items in the grocery aisle, rather than put on glasses to do so. Let us know what you decide, and how it works out.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now