MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
What to think about during a clear flash

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to think about during a clear flash
Sometimes when I get clear flashes I get nervous and wonder what I should think about to prevent the strain from coming back. It's really annoying because as soon as I start to relax, I start trying to find ways to preoccupy my mind to forget about the strain.

I found that thinking about "nothing" is a strain because when I think about nothing I tend to think of many faint things all at once in an attempt to make my mind blank, but I think the mind (like the eyes) are meant to be thinking about something every moment, centralizing on one topic.

Maybe this is a dumb question but what should I think about when I suddenly see clearly? Also, what has worked for you in sustaining your clear flashes and learning from them?
Dear Jason,

Bates suggested using the Snellen card for vision-clearing
work.

Perhaps thinking and looking at a Snellen will help
relax your eyes.

Otis
Clear flashes are ideal situations in which to practice memory. 
Let me tell you this: without lowering the frequency of the brain waves (as only happens sometimes when you sleep) it is impossible to think 'blank'.  Trying to do the impossible brings strain.
When you get a clear flash, try to remember how clear objects look.  Close your eyes and try to recall how clearly a certain distant object looks, and open your eyes.  I've been doing this for some time, and after great practice I can use this method to prolong clear flashes to over 5 blinks.

Please resist the instinctive urge to hold your eyes open for long periods of time in order to preserve the clear flash, and do not try to think 'blank' in fear of strain.  You should rather use it as an indication to improvement, and perhaps as a tool to practice memory and imagination.

Good luck
Why don't you just enjoy the clear flash, like a gourmet  food?

Just observe it happening, like you are apart from your eyes. Don't think anything. If you get some thoughts accidentally, don't try to suppress them, let them flow but don't support them either, and they will fade out. Observe your thoughts also like you are apart from them. Imagine that you are completely passive, that you just can't help the light penetrating your eyes. Don't forget to swing gently and enjoy central fixation. Don't strain any muscle.

This is not only the way to sustain clear flashes, but also to obtain them

I also used to have this problem, when I had clear flashes accidentally, without understanding their nature. I used to begin thinking how I will prove my imaginary opponents that Bates method works because I am having this clear flash Smile.  And of course the clear flash stopped at the very moment.

This problem will go with some practice, when you learn to obtain clear flashes not accidentally but through true relaxation of the mind. In that case there's no such thrilling transition over the edge of clear flash that could make one nervous. It's going to be natural and expected.
otis Wrote:Dear Jason,

Bates suggested using the Snellen card for vision-clearing
work.

Perhaps thinking and looking at a Snellen will help
relax your eyes.

Otis

Yeah and Bates talks about remembering a letter on the Snellen perfectly too. However, he also says that the Snellen is a pessimum to most people, and I know it is to me (at least a little). I've actually tried thinking about the chart during a clear flash and it tends to bring on strain.

Paul Wrote:Clear flashes are ideal situations in which to practice memory. 
Let me tell you this: without lowering the frequency of the brain waves (as only happens sometimes when you sleep) it is impossible to think 'blank'.  Trying to do the impossible brings strain.
When you get a clear flash, try to remember how clear objects look.  Close your eyes and try to recall how clearly a certain distant object looks, and open your eyes.  I've been doing this for some time, and after great practice I can use this method to prolong clear flashes to over 5 blinks.

Please resist the instinctive urge to hold your eyes open for long periods of time in order to preserve the clear flash, and do not try to think 'blank' in fear of strain.  You should rather use it as an indication to improvement, and perhaps as a tool to practice memory and imagination.

Good luck

That's excellent advice, Paul. Thanks!! I think I do need to start using my memory/imagination much more when I have clear flashes. And thanks for clarifying that I should still blink normally during a clear flash, as I tend keep my eyes open longer than usual. I need to learn how to preserve the clear flash through memory and not strain.  Smile

Oleg K. Wrote:Why don't you just enjoy the clear flash, like a gourmet  food?

Just observe it happening, like you are apart from your eyes. Don't think anything. If you get some thoughts accidentally, don't try to suppress them, let them flow but don't support them either, and they will fade out. Observe your thoughts also like you are apart from them. Imagine that you are completely passive, that you just can't help the light penetrating your eyes. Don't forget to swing gently and enjoy central fixation. Don't strain any muscle.

This is not only the way to sustain clear flashes, but also to obtain them

I also used to have this problem, when I had clear flashes accidentally, without understanding their nature. I used to begin thinking how I will prove my imaginary opponents that Bates method works because I am having this clear flash Smile.  And of course the clear flash stopped at the very moment.

This problem will go with some practice, when you learn to obtain clear flashes not accidentally but through true relaxation of the mind. In that case there's no such thrilling transition over the edge of clear flash that could make one nervous. It's going to be natural and expected.

Thanks, those are also some VERY good points! Smile

Today, as I was walking up from the computer into the living room, I happened to glance out of the window to the backyard (where there was a great view and had many, many distant objects). I saw everything with crystal clarity. I could clearly make out a detail of a roof almost half a mile away! Everything was so beautiful that I said, "Wow, this is amazing!!!" I enjoyed every bit of the clear flash like a gourmet food. And I think that's a great idea because it's hard to remember anything that you didn't associate a strong emotion to!

Jason
I like Oleg's "enjoy it like gourmet food".  I'm having more success with longer clear flashes as I move away from too much excitement (feeling that I have to "do" something with this new found clarity actually creates panic ==> strain) toward passive appreciation of the vivid colors and clarity.  Something like "ahhh. everything is as it should be"

Also, I've noticed that if I allow myself to notice that only certain objects at certain distances are clear, the positive confidence that I AM seeing something clearly relaxes my mind/eyes and allows more objects to come into clarity.  Some kind of positive viscious cycle.

I've moved away from looking for rapid improvement (after a year and a half) and am just trying to have fun "noticing" things.  Seems like the less I try, the faster progress seems to come. 

Thanks for the posts, guys.  What's most helpful for me is the phrases folks use to describe their attitudes / approaches to improvement.  It's given me a different perspective vs. just reading Bates.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download