MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Is reading in bed bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is reading in bed bad?
Hi everyone,
I read in bed alot and I've begun to wonder if this is part of the reason for my eyesight difficulties.
Any thoughts?

It seems that one eye sees the page at an extreme angle when I read on my side.
Would that account for double vision at distance that I have?

Brent.
Hello, dear Brent,

No, reading in bed is not the cause of your near-vision problem. I used to think that also. I had read in bed, on subway, wherever and whenever all sizes of print in all types of lighting conditions for over forty years with no ill effect on my eyes. I also first noticed my near-vision problem when reading in bed, so I bought into that same myth that eyes could be "injured" by reading by lying down.

As Dr. Bates explains, in his book "Perfect Vision without Glasses" that you can read in this site's on-line library:

"Bright lights, artificial lights, dim lights, sudden fluctuations of light, fine print, reading in moving vehicles, reading lying down, etc., have long been considered "bad for the eyes," and libraries of literature have been produced about their supposedly direful effects. These ideas are diametrically opposed to the truth. When the eyes are properly used, vision under adverse conditions not only does not injure them, but is an actual benefit, because a greater degree of relaxation is required to see under such conditions than under more favorable ones." -- Chapter XVII -- Vision Under Adverse Condition a Benefit to the Eyes

I wore glasses for 12 years because I had become far-sighted but glasses only made my near-vision worse and worse. I took off my glasses two weeks ago and began practicing Bates Method. Now I am reading again -- and in bed too! -- without glasses again. Rediscover joys of clear vision by learning how use your imagination to see again without the stress and strain that is the cause of all types of vision problems.

Best wishes, Catherine
Dear Brent,

Of all the bad habits I had -- that was the worse.

But even so, if you keep you nose at least 13 inches
fromt the page, the amount of nearsightedness
should be slight.

It is the habit of some children to start reading
at 13 inches, but then 10 minutes later they
will be resting their chin on the page and
reading at 4 inches (-10  diopters) and
3 inches (-13 diopters).  Now that is
a very bad habit, with consequences developing
1 to 2 years later.

Additional commentary:

Hi everyone,

I read in bed alot and I've begun to wonder if this is part of the reason for my eyesight difficulties.

The second-opinion ODs say that it creates a problem.  The
majority-opinion says that it does not. 

Any thoughts?

If you place a primate eye in that situation, their refractive STATE
FOLLOWS that near enviroment.  (That is pure science.)

It seems that one eye sees the page at an extreme angle when I read on my side.

If you get you nose on the page, the eyes can not
fuse properly, and some kids lose the ability to fuse.
Thus two problems (strabismus and myopia) develop
for this reason.

Would that account for double vision at distance that I have?

Otis> Yes.

Just one man's opinion.

Brent.
Read as close as you want.

But for other reasons, if you're going to read on your side, you might shift to the other side half the time.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
your eyes can be used in any way you like as long as you maintain relaxation.  Although,  I would try to avoid staring and near-point stress that may occur as you move your eyes too close to the words.
no paul!! you musn't read in bed!! it will kill you!!  Big Grin
Dear Everyone,

Thanks, for all the advice on this topic.  Very generous of you all

Brent.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now