MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Depth Perception

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depth Perception
Hi guys,

I am wondering if there are any methods to help me get depth perception.

I had lazy eye when I was young, but was corrected through surgery when I was an infant. I am okay not cosmetically, but I am not able to pass any of the depth perception tests. I can't even see the 3D images with those magic eye images. Does anyone know of any Bates method that can help me correct this? I am age 23 right now.
Hi Popo,

Depth perception can get better as your vision sharpens, just as a part of the process. Are you nearsighted or astigmatic or anything too, or is depth perception now your only problem?

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I also have stereoacuity of -2.00 in both eyes. Because I have no depth perception at all, I do not know where to start so I can capitalize on it. Its like trying to explain colors to someone who is color blind. I don't know if I am seeing depth, because I did not know of this problem until a year ago. I always did the depth perception tests, and would not see anything "pop" out, but none of my optometrists told me it was a problem why I did not see those images "pop" out from the booklet. I want to be able to achieve depth perception so I can pass the police test which requires me to get an arc of 80 secs or better. I was told by some doctors that it will be nearly impossible, but I do not give up easily.
What some people don't realize is medical doctors don't necessarily have training or knowledge in therapies beyond drugs and surgery. Eye doctors likewise mainly just have training in optics (except ophthalmologists which have the above medical training as well).

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong." - Arthur C Clarke

The first step I'd recommend is getting rid of your myopia first, and you might find that your depth perception already improves during that process.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Would my depth perception improve if I was wearing glasses at the time oppose to none? If I do get rid of the myopia, is there certain exercises I should practice?
Getting rid of myopia is one of the main purposes of this site.
http://www.iblindness.org/intro/howtobegin.html

No, glasses will not improve your depth perception. They will only worsen it, because they flatten images like you're looking at a computer screen.

David
Site Administrator

I have read in one of Tony Buzan's books that depth perception is primarily a right brain process.

Therefore, try to encourage stimulation of the right brain by performing creative tasks - i.e. drawing, playing piano or any form of music, imagination. You might be surprised by the results. Also in your free time, try imagining that you are drawing the world. This is very effective in improving weak depth perception.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download