MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re: The Long Swing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: The Long Swing
Bates says in his magazines that when doing the long swing, one should pay no attention to the swing in stationary objects. But isn't it the point of the swinging techniques to realize oppositional movement?

From the Jan. 1926 issue of BEM:

"LONG SWING: Stand with the feet about one foot apart. Turn the body to the right, at the same time lifting the heel of the left foot. The head and eyes move with the movement of the body. Do not pay any attention to the apparent movement of stationary objects. Now place the left heel on the floor, turn the body to the left, raising the heel of the right foot. Alternate. Pain and fatigue are relieved promptly while practicing this swing. When done correctly, relief is felt in a short time. The long swing, when done before retiring, lessens eyestrain during sleep." (emphasis mine)

Could someone please clarify this? And if it's not good to pay attention to the movement, what should I pay attention to instead?
This was pretty confusing to me, as well.

Perhaps it is because if you were to pay attention to the apparent movement of stationary objects, then the movement would cease because you would have your attention fixed to them. So perhaps, you should simply 'feel the swing' and not 'see it'. (Although, by no means do I wish to imply that you should you be 'diffusing'.) Just a guess.
It's like a shift, but a really really long slow shift. You glance at detail on either end of the swing. You don't want to be actually paying close attention to the movement, because inevitably you'd end up paying attention to where you're not looking. That's what eccentric fixation is, paying most of your attention to where you aren't looking and actually seeing better in that spot than where you are looking. You can certainly notice the movement, but that will happen secondarily, and you don't actively engage yourself in noticing the movement, because primarily your attention should be on where you're looking, if anything.

I bolded that last part because you don't necessarily pay most of your attention to your visual sense all the time, and maybe not even most of the time, which is fine. Sometimes your attention is on what you smell, or what you had for breakfast, or where you might have left your keys, or what 1432 + 4324 equals. I emphasize this because there's this strange idea out there that unless you're focused on your visual sense, where you're looking, all the time, then you're staring. And that's not correct.

As you leave the detail on one end of the swing and start smoothly turning towards detail on the other end, imagine that you're blind for a second or two until you reach the other end. You aren't, and that's not what will happen, but I think it's a good way of letting go and not needing to be concerned about what your eyes are doing for those couple seconds.

And besides the long swing, it's a good exercise to walk around pretending you're blind for a bit, with your eyes open, relying on your sense of touch and hearing for a while instead of needing to see everything. It takes all the pressure off your eyes if you're able to do it, until it's unavoidable that you're seeing clearly.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Oh I understand now, thanks for the advice!!

Also, I'm wondering why W.B. MacCracken mentioned the long swing being done with the eyes closed, whereas I haven't seen Bates mention that anywhere.
Hi Dave,

That point you mentioned about not really looking at what you're looking at, that's what I tend to do.  I look where my eyes aren't directed.  Can you say something more about that?

How do you notice things peripherally if you don't scan your peripheral?  I seem to spend a lot of my vision time not looking where I'm looking.  I may be daydreaming, or thinking on something else, or noticing something happening on my periphery but I seldom seem to be looking in the direction of my eyes.  Do I need to modify this habit and if so how?

Brent
brent,

Everyone with a refractive error has eccentic fixation. That's what causes the refractive error. So all the Bates exercises are meant to get you to pay better attention to where you are looking, or less attention to where you aren't looking, and to look to another point to keep following your point of attention.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
hi,

David you said earlier in this thread,
"And besides the long swing, it's a good exercise to walk around pretending you're blind for a bit, with your eyes open, relying on your sense of touch and hearing for a while instead of needing to see everything. It takes all the pressure off your eyes if you're able to do it, until it's unavoidable that you're seeing clearly."

Did you mean here walking around with your eyes closed?

Brent.
No, I meant open eyes.

David
Site Administrator

I'm confused, but this is how I swing:  I just swing my body left and imagine that the world is moving right, and vice versa.  I don't focus my eyes on anything.

Is that right? 
Also, is it possible to have 20/20 vision with extremely good peripheral vision?
Whenever someone says that they swing their body, it isn't going to be quite right. The swing is the illusion of things moving. Your body doesn't really swing; it just rotates or pivots. Your weight stays centered. The reason for this is your body has a chance to relax if you stand up straight and pivot, whereas your stabilizer muscles stay tensed when your balance keeps shifting. Instead of swinging yoru body, think of it as rotating each direction to face your body towards someone standing on either side of you.

David
Site Administrator

I just came across this snippet from the Oct. 1923 issue of BEM:

Question - When does the long swing fail to produce relaxation?
Answer - When one stares at objects moving.

Maybe that's why he tells you to pay no attention to the movement. Big Grin
Otter Wrote:Also, is it possible to have 20/20 vision with extremely good peripheral vision?

Of course. In fact peripheral vision is supposed to improve just as central vision does.
Jason Sperry Wrote:Of course. In fact peripheral vision is supposed to improve just as central vision does.

I'm confused. Is peripheral vision different than eccentric fixation?
I get giddy easily when swinging.
=x

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now