MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Need help on the bates method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help on the bates method
Okay I've been trying out the bates method for 3 YEARS!!! And I have never got it to work successfully!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Also lately when i've been trying out palming a bit more lately I've noticed that it seems to make my vision worse by relaxing my eyes I am in the process relaxing my vision.

I remember in one post. A member said to palm 10 times for 5 minutes daily. Let me tell you there is simply no way I could do that much palming!!!

Please help. I don't want to endure this no longer!!!!
Hi adjustedrace,

Welcome to the forum.

10 x 5 minutes is less than an hour per day of palming. Just how much time do you want to spend at this?

I'd be happy to help, but you'll have to describe in detail - and I mean detail, like 500 words - how you're doing a particular exercise, so that we can get an idea of what you may be doing wrong. 3 years without a sign of improvement with any of the exercises is way too long, so it's not going to be a small mistake. It's going to be a major misunderstanding in how you should approach it and what it's about.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Good morning, adjustedrace,

Quote:I've been trying out the bates method for 3 YEARS!!! And I have never got it to work successfully

Wow! Three years? -- you must be one determined guy LOL. But seriously though, it's not meant to take that long, and if it is you're almost definitely doing something wrong here. Results (in the form of clear flashes, or just generally improved clarity) should be seen within a few days at the most. Remember, the main purposes of the treatment described by Dr. Bates is  mainly just about relearning to proper and natural way of seeing - it's not really about doing palming any particular number of times in a set routine. Not that I am saying that regular palming will not benefit you, but from my own experience I didn't get much out of palming. Nonetheless, the treatment system is absolutely SIMPLE and don't allow yourself to accept a silly false paradigm where you begin to believe that it is really complicated, or whatever, because really, it ISN'T! Here is an outline of the method:

The main point is to drop all eyeglasses as soon as possible, and sacrifice a few days of work or occupation getting accustomed to the new more natural  condition. Meanwhile, forget stressful occupations like computer, TV, and stupid friends. Also, avoid those surrounding people with glasses, especially those wearing sunglasses in summer, which are really contagious of the strain of imperfect sight.

The second point is in learning to continue the swing or sway of eyes and body while regarding objects.

Third part is the enhancing of memory and imagination.

If you do these three simple things faithfully, in a matter of days, weeks or months you will be cured from your eye condition, regardless of the gravity and seriousness. Along with this, you should always remember to keep blinking, shifting, and breathing fully. Maintaining this practice is crucial to the cure, and should be revised until the natural inclination of the system returns to your subconsciousness. (Until they become unconscious habits).

The best of luck, my friend.

- Kaze
Thanks for that Kaze thats a great little guide. I'm gonna try out exactly what you said.
Quote:I'd be happy to help, but you'll have to describe in detail - and I mean detail, like 500 words
Okay. So I guess I should start off by saying. For the past 3 years I have been trying to use the bates method and during that time I haven't really used my glasses much!!  >Sad The good part was it stopped my vision from getting worse (And my vision was getting bad fast).

When I found the bates method I thought awesome now to drop away my glasses and it has worked brilliantly in stopping my vision from getting worse!!! But I haven't had any vision improvements. I admit I think some of my main problem is probably being slack but I also haven't understood the concepts very well either.
Basically there are 3 different exercises I have tried and implement on and off.
  • Palming
  • Blinking
  • Sketching[/list:u]

Of course by doing blinking the way I was (The way that can bring on all those temporary clear flashes of 20-20 vision!) Was not getting me anywhere so I've stopped it and after I did blinking that way my eyes would be in complete pain! That leaves me now with Palming and sketching. Which I do a bit of everyday but not a lot of. That is probably a bit short but basically everything I’ve been doing.
Just a suggestion, if you don't get a reply from Dave.  He wants detail of one exercise.  You can say that you're sketching, but now what are the details of how you sketch. 

Your description might start something like this:  "When I sketch, I go outside during daylight hours, and I walk around doing some deep breathing.  Then while I continue walking, I pretend there is a pencil on the end of my nose, and I look at all tall buildings, moving my vision smoothly along the edge of the building..."

(This is an example of how to DESCRIBE an exercise of sketching, this is NOT the correct way to do sketching, frankly I don't know how to correctly do that...) 

Try to include how you feel about what you're doing. 

I hope this helps.  I've seen many times where newcomers don't understand that there are a thousand ways to do an activity, and the tiniest detail of how you do it could be what is keeping you from seeing the benefits. 
Sketching
When I do the sketching exercise I look at objects from a distance, I start to look around the edges of that object.

Here is some details of the other exercises I have been doing just in case there is something wrong with them:
Blinking
As I now know. Practicising blinking is meant to train the mind to unconciously blink every 1 - 2 seconds. I used to do this to just get clear flashes which are pretty easy to get but impossible to sustain.

Palming
This exercise is used in Yoga. This exercise is designed to release eye strain. I simply shut my eyes and then when I open them again after about 5 minutes I all eye tension on my eye is released
Did I not supply enough information?

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now