MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Preventative methods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preventative methods
Can anyone give me a list of preventative methods for nearsightedness? I know the 10-10-10 method, not staring, using LCD screen, and getting enough sunlight.
Hi Otter,

Can't help you out, but i'm interested what you mean by the 10-10-10 method?

Brent.
Whenever you're doing close work, every 10 minutes look at something at least 10 feet away from you for 10 seconds but dont stare.
Ok, thanks.
I've found that looking for 30 seconds helps me mentally free up and then my eyes follow, so ten seconds might be too short for me.  I shall practice it further.

Brent.
The best proven method to prevent nearsightedness (and all other eye conditions) is by reading the Snellen test card from 20 feet away once everyday. It takes less than a minute. Simply read the smallest line you can see first with each eye separately (by covering one eye with the palm of the hand) and then with both eyes together. This technique was tested in schools and was proved successful! It also cured retardation in schools, believe it or not!

The 10-10-10 Rule actually seems very senseless to me. First of all, it's definitely not what Bates is all about. 10-10-10 implies that you're abusing your eyes by focusing up-close. Reading and looking at things up close for a long time, with good vision, is actually restful to them. Second of all, there's no need to divert your attention from what your doing every 10 minutes to look at something in the distance for 10 seconds, and it can actually get pretty annoying to people who do a lot of close-up work, like me. I think a much better idea when doing things like reading, is to imagine that the screen or page is moving in the opposite direction as the movement of your head and eyes, and keeping up that movement.
I wonder who came up with the 10-10-10 rule.  I still can't believe people are trying to follow it.  Nobody who spends considerable time on the computer is distracted enough to follow it.  These type of things are never proven right, and hard to prove wrong.  It's like me stating saying a watermelon is blue on the inside, until you cut it...prove me wrong.  Or like saying that you will gain perfect eyesight if you dont' sleep for a month...prove me wrong.

This is nothing but a common unproven myth

Paul
Then how do people with 20/20vision maintain their vision even if they don't read the snellen everyday?

My eyes are also relaxed when i look out the window using the 10-10-10 method.
Otter,

Quote:Then how do people with 20/20vision maintain their vision even if they don't read the snellen everyday?

I wouldn't say it's a matter of maintaining anything, as there is nothing really to 'lose' when it comes down to it. Defective vision is the result of strain, and strain only appears when you are doing something on top of your natural vision process. To put it simply, people with perfect vision just need to carry on seeing how they always do, regardless of any 10-10-10 method - and so long as they keep it that way defective vision need not develop.

Nonetheless, I personally wouldn't discourage the 10/10/10 thing, if as you say it is helping you relax.  Remember, anything to avoid strain or staring is beneficial. I haven't really heard of this kind of thing before, but it actually sounds like it could do well for your patience; A lot of people today are in this ruthless constant hurry, and can't spare even 10 seconds to divert their attention to something other than whatever they are currently doing. This is a bad attitude! -- and won't do you any good. Patience is the virtue.

Warm regards,

- Kaze
I don't think it's healthy to break concentration from your work every 10 minutes.  I find that if I work hard or am interested in something that I do on the computer it is VERY disrupting to look away every 10 minutes.  Especially when you are reading an interseting book, you don't want to force your attention away and out the window. 
To be honest, as I said before, I found the rule to be impossible to follow.  Unless you set an alarm every 10 minutes, after 20 minutes or so you won't remember. 
I heard of the 20-20-20 rule actually, which works the same way, I remember i tried that before the Bates method.  It was annoying to the point where I would just rather wear glasses. 
This "rule" has been developed by people who think myopia is caused by close work. It has nothing to do with Bates whatsoever.  In fact, Bates was opposed to this theory and attacked it in his book.  The reason why it is still a common belief is because it is impossible to disprove.  Believe me, everyone knows this "rule", believed it for over 150 years, and knows it's impossible to follow.  This isn't some landmark discovery.

Otter, you can try it if you like, let us know if it works.  Personally, I like to have my thoughts flow naturally, than forcing them away from what I'm doing and out the window every few minutes.

Paul
Otter Wrote:Then how do people with 20/20vision maintain their vision even if they don't read the snellen everyday?

Otter, let me answer your question with an interesting personal fact.  I know 4 people who sit at the computer for over 12 hours each day in the summer and 5 hours each day in the school year none-stop playing computer games.  I know another person who is a programmer, he spends at least 13 hours at the computer each day ALL YEAR AROUND. He doesn't have a window in his room or work place, and I don't think those other 4 know there is a window in their room, let alone look out one.
They all have eyesight better than 20/15

Believe me, near work isn't a large factor here.  Perhaps the TYPE of near work, is.

Paul
I treat eyesight improvement as a secondary priority.  It helps that way 'cause I'm not in a rush.

So if near work doesn't cause nearsightedness, then what does besides staring, squinting, and not focusing with your center of vision?  Maybe they have LCD screens.
Quote:I know 4 people who sit at the computer for over 12 hours each day in the summer and 5 hours each day in the school year none-stop playing computer games. 

That sounds just like me *ahem*.  Big Grin
same here ;D ;D ;D ;D
lol I used to be into gaming as well  Big Grin

Otter Wrote:I treat eyesight improvement as a secondary priority.  It helps that way 'cause I'm not in a rush.

So if near work doesn't cause nearsightedness, then what does besides staring, squinting, and not focusing with your center of vision?  Maybe they have LCD screens.

that's what the Bates method is all about
One more quick question, what besides the stuff i listed strains the vision?

I used to be 1337 in counterstrikeConfusedource a year ago.  I play the elder scrolls: oblivion now.  It's addictive.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download