MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Totally confused, should I wear glasses?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally confused, should I wear glasses?
A few days ago, I got an eye checkup and the guy said I'm now at -6.5 in both eyes and have bad astigmatism.

Now a year ago, I was at -5.5 in both eyes with astigmatism, but the lady said I didn't need astigmatism correcting contacts yet.

I was shocked and tried on these contacts (now astigmatism correcting) and they were so strong. I couldn't stand them. They were -6 so he said they were reduced. I guess it's good because I found the Bates method, but now I'm confused.

1) Do I go without glasses (the ones I have right now are -5.5)?
I've been trying but I can't read without them unless I have the book close to my face.
Or do reduced prescription glasses work?

And if so how do I get the reduced prescription? That guy was insistent upon astigmatism correcting contacts and glasses and I don't know if he'll reduce my prescription.

2) How much pressure do you use when you palm?

3) Can I be cured?
I have been breathing through the stomach, blinking, and shifting my eyes more often. I've also been trying to go out in the sun and going without glasses as much as possible.

The eye doctor said since I'm going to college, my eyesight will get worse... And I don't think I can go completely without glasses/contacts to college since I can't read the board/books/etc.

I have a little less than 2 months until I go to college, so I can go without glasses a lot more right now.
Hi angel,

Try pinhole glasses. And that's okay if you need to hold the book close. I'm not big on reduced prescriptions unless you feel you're overprescribed, which I think may be very common. Go to another eye doctor.

Don't use any pressure when you palm. Don't touch your eyes.

Your eyesight will likely get worse in college if you study for long hours through the night, keep an erratic sleeping schedule, and cram for tests in a panic, and anything else that wears you down mentally and promotes anxiety.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
What are you suggesting Dave?  That we be diligent and responsible students???  You're talking nonsense!! Big Grin

angel:  I am a college student, and I don't let the Bates method get in the way of eyesight improvement.  Of course there is quite a bit of worry, anxiety, and lack of time that may hinder your progress.  However, it's doable.  If you limit the amount of time you spend wearing glasses, your eyesight will most likely not get worse (my personal opinion).  But if you want improvement, you'll have to practice the Bates techniques.
My optometrist told me that my eyesight will worsen through college as well.  During the school year I only wore glasses during classes, and my visual acuity remained the same.  I achieved most of my improvement during summer months.  My aim is to be able to see the board clearly without glasses.  I would call that quite a milestone in my improvement goals.

My suggestion to you: find a supportive eye doctor.  Perhaps he can help find you a good prescription for you to see the board without straining your eyes, or perhaps for regular wearing.  There was a topic somewhere in this forum titled something along the lines of "Getting a reduced Rx", which talks about online places to get very cheap glasses (15-30 $), in which case you don't even need an eye doctor for a reduced Rx.  I hate when topics get buried in the forums.
However, I agree with Dave, for best results try not to wear glasses as much.  It will be hard, blurry, but try to feel how much strain you are letting go by refraining from wearing glasses.  Try to accept the blur and practice the techniques of good vision.

The reason why I feel that you may be successful is because you don't set unrealistic goals.  Unrealistic goals is the number one mistake made by newcomers. 
I wouldn't say you cannot improve your eyesight to normal.  If you have the maturity, it can be easily accomplished. 

Paul

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now