MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Response to Question re: My Average Visual Acuity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Response to Question re: My Average Visual Acuity
Another forum member recently e-mailed me this question in regard to my post regarding my first clearing. I thought I would post my answer for others to read.

Question: “When you talk about gradual improvement up until your sudden brief clearing, what is your currently average visual acuity?�

The quick answer to this question is that I don’t know my current average visual acuity. Until retirement--please don’t groan, I know I’m old enough to be the grandmother of most of you but cut me some slack as we’re all in this vision thing together--I spent my life in academic and work settings where counting and measuring was the approach of choice. In retirement, I’ve learned other ways of viewing the world. Most especially, I’ve learned to look internally for feedback and to not always rely on external authority.

So I observe my progress by the additional detail I see in the picture across the living room or by which signs I can read with my glasses off at the gas station. I love my Snellen for practicing better visual habits but testing myself to see what line I can now read only causes me to strain to meet the some external standard, my habitual way of approaching the world and part of how I got so myopic in the first place.

Now, with all that said, I also realize that when a person is just starting vision improvement and is quite myopic, there is a deep desire to have some sense of the journey.

So, here are some quick facts—

I started out with -8.25/-8.0 glasses with astigmatism correction. I think my vision was somewhere around 20/400.

After about 5 months, my vision improved to 20/200, meaning I could make out which direction the 200 E pointed.

Shortly after I had my first clearing, I did measure my vision at 20 feet. I’m sorry I did. I was hoping I had reached 20/100 but I hadn’t which was a downer. I may have reached 20/150 or so but that isn’t on the chart.

I did check my vision with my 20/70 (-6.0/-6.0) lenses which my understanding optometrist prescribed several months ago for non-driving uses. My vision in them had improved to 20/50 by my measurement. That felt good.

When I practice better vision using the Snellen, I try not to use the lines for measurement but it’s hard not to take note. When I have clearings now, I’m usually somewhere between 4 and 8 feet away and clear to somewhere between 20/30 and 20/15 depending upon the light and on how successful I’ve been. 

I hope all of this helps somehow. A final thought, I didn’t get the feeling that my first clearing was related to either how long I had been working to improve my vision or to my acuity at the time it happened. I think it was more related to some cranial-sacral therapy/muscle balancing work I’ve had done in combination with beginning to use the Snellen. I’ll write more on that another time.

Best wishes to all, especially the person who wrote me, as you progress on the exciting journey of recovering your vision.
Sure, when you get the time it would be great if you can post about the other type of work you've been doing. The "Other Eyesight Topics" section would be best, just to keep things organized as far as what's part of the Bates method.

There have been TONS of disciplines and teachings in our history that try to get people to recognize and listen to their own inner guidance. All of the ancient martial arts, all the Eastern philosophies, and all the New Age teachings do it. Until people do this, they live a life of being dominated by their ego (external validation of the self), trying to prove things to the minds of others and themselves (external validation of truth), and just generally being incapable of making decisions without external guarantees attached to them. It's important because vision fluctuates so much that if we were to actually pay attention to ourselves and give appropriate importance to what's going on, the clues to what makes us see better and worse are so obvious. Everyone knows how to listen to their inner guidance and incorporates it into many aspects of their lives, but when it comes to certain things, like vision, it's somehow supposed to not apply.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download