MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
eye exam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eye exam
I had an eye exam in December, after I've looked into the Bates material a little. When I explained what I was working on the doctor was very open about his skepticism and expressed his doubts. Then he told me that the glasses I was wearing were too strong. I thought that was pretty funny,
Yep, they'll hold to what they believe in until the end. But you have to consider that they have paid dearly for what they believe in and won't part with it so easily. All those years in optometry school and building their practice, trying to build consistent views and trying to give out consistent advice, and making a steady income with usually the only skilled trade they have, optometry. Most optometrists in that position would never allow all that to be trumped by something like the Bates method that was introduced almost a hundred years ago. They would look like fools to everyone in their community. But as long as they keep doing what they're doing, they only look like fools to some people.  Smile

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I think that most optomitrists want to help people but they tend to go with the things they are taught in their school and training. If they knew there was a better way that has been proven to their satisfaction they would probably be interested. The problem is that, to my knowledge, there hasn't been any recent high quality studies done specifically on the Bates method which shows that a certain percentage of people improved a certain measurable amount under controlled conditions in a specified time frame.  It isn't hard to find anecdotal evidence but that isn't scientific proof and that's what's needed before it can be accepted by the medical community. Judging by a discussion I read on quackwatch or something (I can't remember for sure) some optomitrists point to things like acupuncture which was scoffed at but more recently was found to have value and are reserving judgement on the Bates method until more information is available.
I wouldn't count on that. There have been studies, but it's very difficult or impossible to set up the type of controls that are suggested by some people. Those double-blind, placebo-controlled, etc., studies work very well for drugs, but they just don't work for a learning process that is by nature mostly subjective, very subtle, and works on principles that are disrupted by controls. Not to mention that I would worry a great deal about who was selected as the instructor. Medical science has a long and repeated history of ignoring discoveries that contradict the status quo.

The principles of the Bates method aren't something that can cause an adjustment in the way eye care is approached, because it disrupts too much. The whole ideology is different. For it to be fully used throughout eye care, it would mean a complete upheaval. I don't think that's impossible, but I don't see it happening as the result of a couple good studies. Only many, many years.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
However, there are optometrists that do understand Bates' method, but they are telling everybody that it's rubbish only because if people work with Bates' method, these optometrists won't get paid.
dragon28 Wrote:However, there are optometrists that do understand Bates' method, but they are telling everybody that it's rubbish only because if people work with Bates' method, these optometrists won't get paid.

I would consider these people to be unethical, unless they're just not convinced that it works.

Does anyone have references to recent scientific studies or research about eye exercises, vision improvement, etc. I'd be interested to learn what was studied and what the results were.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now