MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Some of my progress and a few questions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some of my progress and a few questions.
    First before I ask my two questions, I'd just like to mention a little of my progress. Because I'm so busy with work and my newborn daughter, I never got the chance to go into any deep study on the Bate's Method. However I have been practicing quite a bit on what I have heard that helps the most: swinging, central fixation, and blinking. I palm when I need to also.
    When I first started I could barely read the 20/70 line from 10 feet away. Now I can just about make out the 20/20 line on a very bright day. I still feel I have quite a bit to go tho.
I have noticed a few things that have helped me a lot. Back in the day I posted a topic mentioning that often my eyes would get dry. Somebody replied saying it is due to strain. I then realized that I wasn't doing the swing correctly. Now I never get that anymore ever since I learned to do the swing the right way. Even at work back in the day when I would look in the distance, my eyes would get dry and I would feel strained. However this weekend I took a 4 hour drive and was basically looking a bit into the distance the entire ride, at the cars in front of me, and I didn't feel any strain at all. In fact, my eyes felt extremely relaxed. I am starting to feel that the swing is really an important factor that I was neglecting.
      Second, an interesting thing to mention is, before I started the Bates method, I tried eye exercises. My eyes felt OK after a while on a bright sunny day, but then in the evening and especially on weekends when I was home inside, my eyes would go and get very blurry..almost like the exercises did no progress. (I am guessing that my eyes got a little better simply because I stopped wearing my glasses.)
I realize now that one of the reasons my eyes would get so blurry and uncomfortable on weekends was because eye exercise programs don't teach you to use your eyes correctly. Once I would finish them, I'd go back to staring and never centralize on anything at all. It felt going to the gym, then coming home and eating 10 pies. Wink But since I've been doing this method, I never feel my eyes going back to that heavy blurry vision.
    Oh, and one more thing I noticed. When I first started practicing the bates method, I didn't have much progress. I then realized, that I was only using the correct habits when I was out at work in the sun, but when I came home to my apartment, I would start staring at the computer or TV..and after a while I forced myself to stop doing that..and thats when most of my progress started.
  I just thought I'd share all that. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong or what you guys think.

My two questions are:
-What does the lighting have to be in the room while reading the Snellen?
and
-When palming, I hear some say they imagine perfect black, or black ink, or something black. But I hear other say they imagine seeing perfect(such as remembering a sign they saw clearly or something). Which is the correct form of palming to go by?

Thanks for all of your help. I read in the forum a lot and am thankful for all of the good advice I read on here. I'll try to start posting more often.
-Mike
Hi Mike,
I'm glad to hear you had great progress.  To answer your questions:
It doesn't matter what the lighting level is as you practice with the eye chart.  Actually, Bates suggested that you practice in bright light, regular light, and dim light, mostly because each lighting condition can be associated with its own degree of strain.  So you want to tackle them all Smile

As far as palming goes.  In my opinion, it doesn't matter what you imagine.  Whatever brings you visual and mental relaxation.  Black seems to do it well, imagination of perfect eyesight works to relax some people as well.  It's up to you.

Can you please share the problems you had with the swing?  Looks like it's working very well for you, and I'm curious what mistakes lead to dry eyes.

Thanks!

Paul
Dear Mike,

Quote:-What does the lighting have to be in the room while reading the Snellen?
and

Otis> I would use very good lighting.  Ultimately, you should wish
to pass the DMV line (3/4 inch letters at 20 feet).  So I would
work towards that goal -- under YOUR control.  You will
feel so much better when you go down to the DMV and
pass their test -- because you used Bates and were
proven-successful.  Don't bother with the majority-opinion
ODs.  They just want to put you in a strong-minus and
tell you to "...wear it all the time".

Best,

Otis
Mike82 Wrote:Oh, and one more thing I noticed. When I first started practicing the bates method, I didn't have much progress. I then realized, that I was only using the correct habits when I was out at work in the sun, but when I came home to my apartment, I would start staring at the computer or TV..and after a while I forced myself to stop doing that..and thats when most of my progress started.

Can you please tell in more detail how you "force yourself to stop doing that" (straining when working at the computer) ?
Work with bright light on the chart. It's easiest. Eventually of course you'll want to see in dim light too, but there's no reason to start with the hardest one first. And brighter light means more information to your eyes, which means more feedback and more details to see.

You're right about eye exercise programs - They also get you to move your eyes more, which might help a little, but if it isn't teaching you to use your eyes better, it won't have a lasting effect.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Hey guys thanks for all of your responses to my questions on palming and lighting for the snellen. That helps me out a lot.
Paul, my problem with the swing was that I was just not doing it. I would do it a few times and just not keep it up, and then just quickly change focus from one thing to another, instead of swinging. I was also trying to see things that were blurry in the distance and not swinging at the same time, and I think that brought about the most strain. When I smoothly swing, thats when I feel the most relaxed. If you guys remember someone on here named "Mr. Spock", he wrote me an email a while ago that I recently read because I was so frusterated with what I was doing wrong, and he said "Remember while swinging that its a smooth pursuit from point A to point B", or something like that. So I smoothly did that, and thats what helped me. (Anyone know what happened to him by the way?)
    Otis, yeah, passing the DMV test is my goal. Wink

Oleg, I basically meant that I disciplined myself to use good vision habits in my apartment. Before I was lazy because I'd come home tired and just sit back and vegetate. Wink It definately helped when I disciplined myself to see correctly at all times and not slip back into my old, bad habits. (Plus when I'm at the computer I try to move my head while reading and not take everything in at once. I read to do that in the "Relearning to See" book.
    David, thanks for the advice. Yeah, thats what blows me away about this method.. because I figure now "Hmm, I must have been doing something wrong in the first place to get near sighted." So logically going back to the good habits is what will cure it. Besides, laser surgery freaks me out. lol. I don't like to take any chances.

-Mike

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now