MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re: Help, I hate my glasses but I need them...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Help, I hate my glasses but I need them...
Hello!
First of all, I'd like to say I'm glad that I found this site, and I'm really inspired by the success stories I've read so far.

Im a 19 year old student and nearsighted (2 diopters each eye), which is a big problem at university. I'm already trying to wear my glasses only when it is really necessary (university/driving, about 2 hours a day), but it would be nice to get rid of them once and for all. My question is how bad is wearing glasses for my recovery process and are there any exercises that work especially well for nearsighted people?

Also, because I am studying computer science, I'm spending lots of time in front of the computer screen. How does this affect my eyesight?

Thanks in advance
Thomas
Hey there.

You will find many very different opinions on using a reduced prescription or wearing no glasses at all. I can tell you though, that you WILL benefit more and faster if you totally discard your glasses. Of course I recognize that this is not always possible for everyone, but I can personally attest to the effectiveness or wearing reduced prescriptions so long as the practitioner makes a genuine goal of seeing (even with the blurry world around them, and not being able to see the chalkboard at all times) without straining.

I know you probably can't discard your glasses completely, so get a reduced prescription and wear them only when necessary. It will also help if you sit at the very front center of class, so you can see better (you'll get better grades too! Big Grin).

Make some rubbish up for your optometrist about how you work for hours on end in front of the computer and that you NEED a pair of really reduced glasses to help you cope with the blinding strain and pain in your eyes or something. I've seen many optometrists will underprescribe by a lot if they know that you will be using them so close up. You should try to only use these new underprescribed glasses rather than your old glasses. It won't always be easy at first, but it will quickly get easier and easier to see with them.

One thing to remember is that even though your optometrist thinks that they're going to be really underprescribing you, they're not really. Their methods of obtaining your prescription are flawed and if you're not adamant that the prescription be reduced significantly then you'll get a pair that could be quite close to your actual prescription.

I don't think that there are any exercises that work better or worse for types of eye problems. I think everyone is different and needs to find the exercises that they benefit the most from.

As for the computer use. This has been covered extensively in this forum. Using computers, even for extended periods of time is not necessarily bad for your eyes, however you likely have a habit of straining when you use them. If you endeavor to wear your reduced perscription at all times when on the computer and take frequent breaks (at LEAST every 20 minutes, get up, walk around and do some exercises), and remember to apply Bates' principles when viewing the computer screen, then there is even a account in our success forums about a lady who cured her eyesight completely in front of the computer, watching movies.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.php/topic,111.0.html">http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.p ... 111.0.html</a><!-- m -->

I hope to see more of you around here,

Ted
Dear Tom,

You should avoid wearing those -2 diopter lenses as
much as possible.  You should also
read your Snellen.  Click here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

Then on "Display".

You Snellen is probably about 20/100.

With a -2 diopter prescription, you can probably do
all your computer work with no glasses on .

Best,

Otis
Thanks for your advice!

I really like the interactive visual acuity chart, it's exactly what I've been looking for. I'm now reading it every day. I will also continue to wear my glasses as seldom as possible, even though my brother tells my it's bad for my eyes. It's kind of strange because I always seem to be the last one to recognize people, especially when going out at night... but it feels a lot more comfortable anyway.

Best regards,
Tom
Dear Tom,

Subject: Majority-opinion bullshit about that minus lens.

Quote:I will also continue to wear my glasses as seldom as possible, even though my brother tells my it's bad for my eyes.

Of all the false "implications" -- that statement is the worst.

My interest was in PROVING how bad that minus lens truly
is.  I wish I had support for PREVENTION (before going
below 20/60) before I was given an over-prescribed
minus lens and told to "...wear it all the time".  That
one "insistence" of the majority-opinion OD is the
real "killer" of vision. (In my humble opinion.)
Dr. Bates made a similar statement -- but not
quite that strong.

Quote:It's kind of strange because I always seem to be the last one to recognize people, especially when going out at night... but it feels a lot more comfortable anyway.

With a -2 dioter lens, your refractive STATE is about -1.5 to
-2 diopters.

I know of people who have "cleared" from that level -- but
it is indeed a slow process.

But keep on posting your ideas.  We are ALL here to
help you.

Best,

Otis

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size