MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Very Cheap Glasses - are they safe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Cheap Glasses - are they safe?
I was browsing through some posts and saw that someone had recommended Zenni Optical (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php">http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php</a><!-- m -->) for very cheap glasses. Frame plus glasses are only $8!

My question is - is this safe? Are there problems, like poor lenses with abberations? Do the frames sit wrong on the face? Could poorly cut lenses do worse for your vision?

Has anyone actually tried this? It seems too good to be true, but if it's not going to ruin my vision wearing them then I would try it...

Any input appreciated!
Well you'll ruin your vision wearing any glasses. Prescription ones aren't any safer.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Dear Friend,

It is my understanding of Bates analysis and advocacy, that the "minus" be avoided before your
Snellen went below 20/60 to 20/70.

If you are in that range, then you could go with no minus lens for MOST applications.

However if you wish to drive a car, you must read the 20/40 line (in most countries).

Thus, for THAT requirement you have no choice -- until you clear your Snellen to better-than
20/40 by your own verification of successful work with Bates.

So to respond:

Quote:I was browsing through some posts and saw that someone had recommended Zenni Optical (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php">http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php</a><!-- m -->) for very cheap glasses. Frame plus glasses are only $8!

My question is - is this safe? Are there problems, like poor lenses with abberations? Do the frames sit wrong on the face? Could poorly cut lenses do worse for your vision?

I have heard that the glasses are of reasonable quality. If you are at 20/70, you will probably
require a -1.25 diopter lens to pass the DMV. (3/4 inch letters at 20 feet). If your requirement
is ONLY for driving, then a low-cost lens (seldom worn) should be reasonable for your purpose -- until
you clear your Snellen with Bates.

Quote:Has anyone actually tried this? It seems too good to be true, but if it's not going to ruin my vision wearing them then I would try it...

No one has suggested that they would "ruin your vision". But it is always a personal choice for you.

I see it as a TEMPORARY necessity until success with Bates "kicks in".

Otis
Thank you for the responses. My glasses prescription is quite strong: -7.75 in each eye. So going without glasses isn't an option if I want to leave my house. I was thinking about doing this as an inexpensive means of reducing my prescription, I will ask my optometrist and get back to you all. She seems somewhat unbiased towards selling me things since she knows I can't afford it here anyway.
Dear Friend,

Since your prescription is -7.75 diopters, you could "reduce"
your prescription yourself if you wished to do so.

To get a sense of this reduction, you coudl buy a +2 diopter
lens (for reading at 20 inches), and put them over your
-7.75 diopters. This would enable clear vision at 20 inches.

Beyone that pont you would see some blur.

If you wished a "reduced" prescription (for reading) you could
just subtract 2 diopters from -7.75 diopters and get
them from Zennioptical for $8.

Just my second-opinion.

Otis

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now