MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Illusory movements as a side effect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illusory movements as a side effect?
Hello everyone. I've just found this website and the Bates Method today. I don't know how my vision should technically be described, beyond that it's myopic, but I should be able to find out if I can get hold of my old prescriptions or something. Having already read most of the book eagerly, I've been idly gazing around my room sans glasses pondering what it all means and trying the techniques out on my wallpaper. I've been alarmed on several occasions by illusions of a kind I don't recall ever having before. There is one in which the image I'm looking at becomes more blurred than before (and not even the type of blur that I'm used to but as if looking through a plastic box) and the entire wall appears to come closer towards me and look correspondingly more large. On another occasion the wall around the image, which itself seemed to be somehow detached, swirled or shifted around it. I can't remember the other effects well enough to describe them but they're all new to me. I've gone months without glasses before (not due to improvement) and don't remember experiencing them then. Can anyone offer reassurance? That first one gave me a terrible fright.

Thanks! Smile
Seeing odd things is normal. Often, as you improve you will start to experience things that those with perfect sight see, but they are unfamiliar and new to you, the best one I can describe is over this last summer, I had times when I was at work. I would take off my glasses and look at some numbers on signs across the road. Normally I wouldn't be able to read these, but after practicing bates, they would remain blurry around the number, but the number itself would leap out of the blur around it.

Try not to be disturbed by visual illusions, the first one sounds like your increasing your central fixation, the second one sounds like your experiencing the shift.

Ted
That might also be a side effect of not wearing glasses. Yes, you've gone without them before, but thinking about it, about your vision, what it's like without glasses, and your ability to see without glasses, and noticing what happens, all that makes a difference. It makes a big difference. When you stop wearing glasses after having worn them for years and kind of growing into them, your eyes are still trapped in them. They still have to break out, and it might be interesting.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Do these effects go away after a blink? I think that's a pretty critical question to ask.

Paul
David Wrote:That might also be a side effect of not wearing glasses. Yes, you've gone without them before, but thinking about it, about your vision, what it's like without glasses, and your ability to see without glasses, and noticing what happens, all that makes a difference. It makes a big difference. When you stop wearing glasses after having worn them for years and kind of growing into them, your eyes are still trapped in them. They still have to break out, and it might be interesting.
I do remember, now I think about it, that when I was very young I'd play with my vision, making things move and change. That hasn't happened for years now. With glasses everything's very static and previously without, I was either squinting to see or not focusing at all.

apavel Wrote:Do these effects go away after a blink? I think that's a pretty critical question to ask.
I can't make it happen this morning as it did yesterday, but the more subtle movements seem to continue after blinking. Yesterday I looked away sharply as I blinked so I don't know.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download