MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Interpreting my prescription

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interpreting my prescription
Just found the most recent one, from July this year. In the grid it says -2.75 for left and right, distance. Can anyone tell me what that suggests about my acuity, how it compares to that of others who've tried the method, and what kind of course I can expect my Bates intervention to take based on others in my position? I'm 19 and have worn glasses since age 13 or 14, though not every minute of every day.

Thanks in advance,
OF.
Dear Optifog,

Subject: How to determine your visual acuity from a prescription:

1. -2.75 diopters would be about 20/200. As a poor estimate,
-1 diopter is about 20/70.

2. Just click on this Snellen and read it for absolute confirmation.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

You must read 1/2 the letters correctly to pass the line.

So see if you can read the 20/100 or 20/200 line.

Otis
optifog Wrote:Just found the most recent one, from July this year. In the grid it says -2.75 for left and right, distance. Can anyone tell me what that suggests about my acuity, how it compares to that of others who've tried the method, and what kind of course I can expect my Bates intervention to take based on others in my position? I'm 19 and have worn glasses since age 13 or 14, though not every minute of every day.

Thanks in advance,
OF.

That prescription means that you have 2.72 diopters of myopia in each eye. This would be considered mild myopia. These numbers do not match up with a specific snellen reading, so I can't tell you that, it varies too much from person to person. However, another way of reading your prescription would be that you could see clearly for ~36 or so centimeters without glasses. If you measured that I would be fairly certain you would do better than that, opticians have a habit of over prescribing.

"how it compares to that of others who've tried the method" and what you should expect. Well to be honest I know what you're asking, but I'm going to dodge that question and be vague. Your myopia is more than some and less than others and you'll be cured when your cured. The moment you relax completely is the moment your cured. Sounds easy, but the problem is that its pretty much something you have to learn for yourself. You can be guided, but not told specifically. Myopes have a habit of tensing when they think they are relaxing, it is a habit for you to tense and you must break that habit to achieve success, the standard guess is within 2 years. But considering your level of myopia I would think success would be achievable well within that, maybe a year? who knows, but don't think that this won't take desire and prolonged dedication.

Hope to see you around and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Ted
Urban Wrote:you could see clearly for ~36 or so centimeters without glasses.
How did you get that number?

Paul
Dear Paul,

He got it from the -2.75 diopters that was prescribed.

It is 1 / -2.75 D = 0.36 meters, or 14 inches.

This would be the point of "just beginning to blur", if
the -2.75 diopters are removed. This is the refractive
STATE of his eyes when measured by that method.

Reading the Snellen is probably a better and more
accurate measurement -- since to be successful
he must begin clearing that Snellen by using Bates.

Best,

Otis
ah, the focal length of the lens. I see.

Thanks,
Paul
otis Wrote:Just click on this Snellen and read it for absolute confirmation.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

You must read 1/2 the letters correctly to pass the line.

So see if you can read the 20/100 or 20/200 line.
I can read at 20/80 with effort. 20/100 is blurry but readable without effort. Does this mean I've been badly over-prescribed? I thought my optometrist was underestimating me, when she said I was a liability crossing the road. Granted I can't read number plates at most distances, but I can tell when there's a ruddy great car coming towards me! :Smile ;D

Urban Wrote:That prescription means that you have 2.72 diopters of myopia in each eye. This would be considered mild myopia. These numbers do not match up with a specific snellen reading, so I can't tell you that, it varies too much from person to person. However, another way of reading your prescription would be that you could see clearly for ~36 or so centimeters without glasses. If you measured that I would be fairly certain you would do better than that, opticians have a habit of over prescribing.
That's right. At about 36cm the text on this board is very slightly blurred. Unfortunately that still leaves me feeling like a goldfish in a bowl most of the time - something I'd like cured before possibly moving to a bustling, over-stimulating part of London within a year. Tongue
I also feel like visual acuity is over-rated by most people. Thats not to say it isn't nice or isn't desirable, but frankly, unless you need to read something or perform a task that required a great deal of precision, you don't really need that much. Often times I can get around reasonably well with what is borderline heavy myopia without too much difficulty.

I would caution you to learn from the experiences of another forum member Jason though.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=698">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=698</a><!-- l -->

Setting a deadline to be cured before you go to London probably won't be doing yourself any favors, not that it isn't very possible, but a more realistic or less stressful goal would be to *improve* your vision before you go to London. It wouldn't be much improvement from where you stand before you become quite functional.

See ya around,

Ted
Dear Opti fog,

Here are some possible answers.

Quote:I can read at 20/80 with effort. 20/100 is blurry but readable without effort.

Good, always trust what you SEE -- if you wish to improve your
Snellen.

Quote:Does this mean I've been badly over-prescribed?

Yes. Given your Snellen reading, by about -1.25 diopters or so.

Quote:I thought my optometrist was underestimating me, when she said I was a liability crossing the road.

Otis> The OD prescribed for SHARPEST VISION POSSIBLE -- UNDER
WORST-CASE CONDITIONS. Thus often results in serious
over-prescription.

Otis> I would suspect that if you had your own -1.25 diopter lens
you could read read the 20/40 line (DMV) clearly, and perhaps
the 20/30 and 20/25 line. (You can get a "check" lens
like this for about $8

Quote:Granted I can't read number plates at most distances, but I can tell when there's a ruddy great car coming towards me!

Good, so the idea is to clear your vision from the 20/100 to 20/80
range to the 20/40 to 20/20 range.

This is what Bate managed to do in a "school study" some time
ago.

Further, some optometrists have cleared their own Snellen
by using these preveventive (second-opinion) methods.

Enjoy,

Otis
Dear Opti,

Subject: How long MIGHT it take to clear from 20/100 to normal.

As suggested, no one can tell you this accurately.

There are many ODs who will tell you than ANY vision-clearing
by ANY method is IMPOSSIBLE. They reason that if it
were posssible -- then they should be PRESCRIBING prevention.

Other optometrists, from -3.5 dipoters, have not agreed
with the concept that:

1. Environment has no effect on the eye, and

2. A strong minus lens has no effect on the eye.

They believe that, while slow -- it is possible to clear
your vision to normal using a number of these
second-opinion methods and techniques.

But why trust me? How about an expert stating that
SHE has been successful. Read this link for this statement.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.optometrists.org/Boston/articles.html">http://www.optometrists.org/Boston/articles.html</a><!-- m -->

But be cautious. It does take time (as she states).

You were wise to avoid wearing that minus lens. But equally,
you must get close to passing the DMV (20/40) in a reasonable
period of time.

Your OD probably can be of no help to you in doing this work. I
think the advice of David (of imagination-blindness) is excellent -- and
is his effort to further develop the preventive methods developed
by second-opinion professionals like Dr. Bates.

Otis
Thanks for the help and advice everyone. Smile I actually wonder if my vision had started to improve before I removed the glasses at the weekend, because although I am somewhat inconvenienced by their absence, I remember feeling much more aware of the problem than when without them previously. Maybe it's the effect of thinking about it differently now, and knowing how to better reduce the strain. Squinting all day and consciously trying to see probably contributes to much of the sense of disability.
Dear Opti,

A review.

Since you know your vision is 20/80 to 20/100 -- you should compare it
against a previous SUCCESSFUL study. See:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://central-fixation.com/batesmed/myopiaprevention.htm">http://central-fixation.com/batesmed/my ... ention.htm</a><!-- m -->

Clearly these "kids" were successful.

But I believe it is because the teachers strongly supported these
children monitoring their Snellens.

They got the kids interested in what they were doing -- and that
is probably the real key to successful clearing from 20/70 to normal.
Smile
Best,

Otis

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now