MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The Stare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Stare
Can someone explain to me(in as much detail as possible. plz) what the stare is in terms of the Bates Method.If you can,plz explain why it is bad for the eyes.thank you
By "staring" we mean fixing the eyes into one position without moving. It takes effort to do this, kind of like how you might grip your hands together to stop them from shaking (just as a random example). People who have had blurry vision for some time aren't aware that they do this and aren't aware that there is a different, much easier, way that the eyes can work if we stop gripping them. But this is not very possible to do directly, so it's done by application of exercises like shifting, the long swing, etc. to stumble into releasing the tension.

Have you read Bates's book?

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Dave,

David Wrote:By "staring" we mean fixing the eyes into one position without moving. It takes effort to do this, kind of like how you might grip your hands together to stop them from shaking (just as a random example). People who have had blurry vision for some time aren't aware that they do this and aren't aware that there is a different, much easier, way that the eyes can work if we stop gripping them. But this is not very possible to do directly, so it's done by application of exercises like shifting, the long swing, etc. to stumble into releasing the tension.

That is a superb explanation of the stare! Sometimes I wonder how you stumble upon the perfect words to describe things. Big Grin
Yes, I have read his book but the book is really hard for me to grasp.I even had to buy a pocket definition device so I can look up definitions.I kind of thought the stare was staring at a object for long but someone just told me its everything you look at in example: if you look at a face you would look at the eyebrows and than eyeballs and the mouth or even the outline of there face(each seperately) and so on but when I tried this it was really hard to look at finer details as in individual eyelash the wrinkles on the face (only when I came up close I can see them because im myopic) and when I look at the eyeball all I see is a black fuzzy circle, I cant see the white part that well.Any tips on improving this or does this happen over time of practicing looking at different parts of things(I know this is shifting)?
Ok, first of all, it doesn't make sense to look up definitions for any of these terms. These words are used because they are pretty much the best ones available for the concepts at hand, not because the dictionary definition, or a common street definition, is a good way to understand the concepts. So you're doing it backwards.

The person who told you that probably has good vision, correct? That's actually the point - people with good vision don't "stare" as we call it. So their definition of stare would be actually the opposite of what we mean. Someone with blurry vision will "stare", but then they don't realize they do it, so their definition probably won't be right either.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download