MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Looking at lightings?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at lightings?
Does looking at an artificial lighting (such as fluorescent lamp) help to improve vision? I think I've read in Bates' book or somewhere else that light is like the eyes' nourishment or something. Has anyone here ever improved their vision, even for a little, with the help of (looking at) artificial lighting?

I've tried this and I think there's a slight improvement, I'm not 100% sure though. I don't know if it was the light or I was just relaxed at the time.

Thanks!!! Smile
Hi Marlon,

I have also noticed that my vision improves when I look up at the flourescent lights in my office. I don't know if it's a lasting improvement, since I have to put my glasses back on to keep working. What I have seen is that after working on the computer for some time, I take off my glasses and see the usual fuzz. But if I look at the light and then around my office, things are much sharper. Also, they remain that way if I breathe deeply and blink softly (not as forced as I usually do from bad habits!)

I wonder if the eye relaxes when it just lets the light in and doesn't try to see anything. would be curious if others have some insight?
Yes, I have definitely improved my vision very materially by looking at bright lights! In fact, the improvement is usually so great and continuous as to be convincing that it works better for me than any other Bates technique. I usually practice sungazing for this purpose (looking directly at the sun), but since there isn't much sun this time of year I've been using a 500-watt halogen work lamp. Just today I discovered that bright artificial light provides many of the same benefits as sunlight (better eyesight, greater relaxation, more energy, etc.).

I'm really nearsighted (20/400, about 4 diopters), but just today I noticed that after looking directly into the 500-watt bulb (which is really bright) my vision was vastly improved more continuously than ever before, as well as seemingly perfect for many short periods. I did see temporary colored blind spots (scotomas) immediately afterwards, but was pleasantly surprised to find them diminish rapidly and finally disappear completely within about 3 minutes. I think this was because I've been practicing the lamp-gazing for a few days now, and by practice you can make the spots disappear faster. I also practice other techniques like shifting/swinging/dodging, which I found are very beneficial in conjunction with sun- or lamp-gazing, not only for making the scotomas disappear faster, but also for preserving the clear flashes.

Also interestingly, it took only a couple of minutes or so until I became accustomed to the lamp, and I was able to gaze directly at the coil inside the bulb comfortably with wide-open (not staring) eyes for many minutes continuously. That was a significant improvement, because yesterday and the day before it took me longer, and I must not have become fully accustomed to it, as I wasn't able to look at it for that long as easily. Not to mention my eyesight hasn't improved as much in the last few days as it did today.

From personal experience it seems that the brighter the light you can accustom yourself to, and the longer the time you spend looking at it without discomfort, the greater the benefit. Just remember that it should be done gradually and without discomfort.
Hi marlon,

I had not yet dare to look at lighting directly. Perhaps its because my eyesight is too imperfect and might feel intense strain by doing so. However, my eyes do feel more relax from the 'moving lightings' from the television, exposing myself to different lightings outside, (for example streetlights, variation of lightings from restaurants, shopping, cafe, malls etc), and spending most of a sunny day outdoors. But all this will help only when the eyes are not lock in a stare, allowed to let go and blinking and moving naturally. I think that this is good for people who get bored with palming or eyechart work, provided they get accustomed to the blur vision and it is safe to go outside without glasses.

May just start by closed eye sunning first, until my eyes feel less strain, and then slowly proceed to looking direct to a lighting.

Regards,

Petal
Thanks guys! ;D
Jason, also try to read microprint (like the one found on page 195 of the original Bates book) after looking at bright light. It is surprisingly efficient.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download