MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Putting Bates to the test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My situation

Right now, I have a very intellectual work, making use of a computer all day long. I've
being wearing glasses for about 20 years. I suffer from myopia and astigmatism. My latest
eye-glasses prescription, which dates back a few weeks ago, is now at 8 diopters. Three years
ago, it was at 6.5 diopters. It worsened a lot, and the correlation between it and increased
stress and wrong vision habits at work is easy to make.

My optometrist told me about the danger for highly myopic people of having my retina detach
itself (I was shocked!). Thought there was apparently nothing I could do about it, nor about
stopping the progression of my myopia, except buying a stronger prescription and hoping my
retina never detach itself and my myopia "stabilizes" soon. My sight is so blurry.

Credibility of Bates' principles

Concerning my worldview. As I understand it, in the beginning, and according to Holy Scripture,
I do believe mankind to have being constituted a living soul by the joining of a spirit
to a earthly body. The body could not be a living soul without it; nor could the spirit be
a complete being without a body. Let not man divide asunder what God has joined together.
So though I do believe the spirit to endure at death and maintain the existence of a person,
when it is separated from its body, I do not believe the body to be merely some kind of
impairing prison for a "spirit-soul" that does not really need it after all, as some
philosophers have taught. This is also why the resurrection of the body is provided for at
the Last day and for Final judgement.

So I do think it credible right now that Bates's discoveries fit in this worldview. Because,
though I do not believe in extreme affirmations on both sides (one pure "scientific"
materialism, the other pure subjectivity, e.g. "The Secret"), I know that, in a predetermined
measure, there is a relation between spirit and body, and the spirit has influence over the
body, and the body also has influence over the spirit. Man is both, his being proceeds of both.

Experience and common sense teaches us too. It really is "joy" that is good for the health,
not the "release of some chemical component in the brain", even though it is triggered by joy.
And when I'm really tired, I am much more prone to be irritated. Is it really fantasy to think
that one's mind and overall state as so much influence upon sight, considering the strong link
between the eyes and the brain? Is it crazy to think the obvious, that wrong habits, linked with
the changes in lifestyle and civilization (AND false conceptions about sight resulting in
over-prescryption), have brought upon us such an epidemic of myopia and other sight problems?
Concerning Bates' principles of vision, they really are, as he said, "common sense".

To think in terms of integrated systems and holistic harmony might be more difficult for
certain over-specialized people. Let us not be reductionists of human experience because of
our too narrow view, but let us put forward general knowledge and observation, much like the
ancient philosophers who were not "specialized" modern scientists. Let us admit too that
false scientific theories and "presentations of facts" can and do prevail in history,
as false doctrines in matters of religion and God do prevail and deceive. There are false
presuppositions everywhere, that changes our outlook on facts. But there is also such a
thing as truth.

My commitment

I am seriously committed to this. I figure out that it is worth giving it a try, and better
to try and fail than not trying it at all. It has a ring of truth for me right now. If over
the coming months/years I get a significant and verified improvement of my vision, or better,
a complete recovery, I do intent to report it on this site and share my joy with every reader.
If not, and if in the process I lose trust in Bates' psycho-ophtalmology, to be fair, I wish
also to report it.

Right now, it might be too early and too subjective to say for sure, but I believe I am
experiencing a very slight improvement of my vision, and this encourages me to continue trying this.
Why do I know this? Because I am now practically unable to wear my contact lenses, they've
become too strong (this is easy to know as everybody knows) and even cause me headaches.
It was not like that when I began using them. I feel my new glasses too are a little too
strong now, but it is more bearable then contact lenses, and I often remove them here and
there to compensate and relax. Although I have to say I am not aware of having experienced
any "clear flash" yet, as others report.

But I want to continue with Bates' natural vision not only for getting back my natural sight,
but because it really, really relieves me and improves the quality of my life. I had (and
relatively still have) such tension in my eyes (and neck too!), and now I am learning to
relax and use rightly and enjoy the (now very blurry) sight I have... I rediscovered the
joy of seeing and curiosity for the world around me. I feel liberated when I put off my
glasses and give to my eyes full liberty of movement, in a relaxed way, and just enjoy it...
It really is improving my work too, because the immense strain I had on my eyes, the sleepiness
(my brain turning to "off"?) and dimming of my mental acuity is being reversed. I now have a
discipine to use well my eyes, for they are precious and my work tool. It really makes sense
and works right now.

Everyday is now a new eye-adventure, living whenever possible and prudent without my glasses
(though I thought before I could not be functional without glasses), relaxing my eyes and mind,
breathing well, blinking, enjoying sight, centralizing as I move around, taking breaks at work
to relax my eyes and centralize, move my eyes and get back oppositional movement, sketching
details as I can, etc. I am getting much more aware of things that were before subconscious,
and of that strain... So much strain. I get acquainted with all the psychological subtleties
to deal with this mental and eye-strain.

Time will tell if I deluded myself, or just got rid of a delusion.

I have made Thomas Quackenbush's "Relearning to see" my main reference on natural seeing.
For the critics and for the record, I have not spent even one penny for this, and am not
deluded by someone wanting all my money.

If any experienced Bates practitionner has any tips or comments for me (and the other readers
identifying with me), it will be very much appreciated.

Respectfully,

Al
Hi!

I don’t have a lot of time, so will respond quickly. I just wanted to tell you, I had a similar experience. I started off with -8 lenses in both eyes and when I found out about Bates I went straight to the eye doctor to get a reduced prescription. (she measured my eyes at -7.75, so I got -7.00 glasses which I now see 20/20 out of and I am now getting 6.25 glasses on the way). You will find that you can see 20/20 out of a much reduced prescription as I do and it does a great deal to relax the eyes! Glasses are overprescribed so that you can see 20/20 even in the dark (or so I'm told).

I also experienced this joy of using and appreciating my eyes for the first time. Remember and use this feeling to get you through periods of doubt and slow progress that may or may not happen in the future! That is what helps me the most, keeping a positive spirit about it. I love looking at colors more now, and I find that I notice much more detail and depth. The first improvements that I’ve seen have made it worth it to continue with this method. And as you said, the relaxation improves many other areas of daily life as well.

I wish you the best of luck and most of all that you enjoy the process! I find Bates original book (on this website) and magazines (central-fixation website, link on my blog) useful to read as well.
Al,

I agree with much of what you said. You've already realized that there is tension around your eyes and that degradation of eyesight is related to stress.

The fascinating thing about all this is, well, for me, it made me realize that self improvement is more about getting rid of what we are not, and that "what we are not" encompasses almost everything that we currently think we are. We are in a prison here, but it's a prison that we continually build and support around ourselves, with myopia and other self-rejecting complicated constructs. I hate to use tired old cliches, but undoing it really can be a case of going deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. All I wanted to do was improve my vision! But then I discovered that it's only part of a bigger problem facing humanity and that there's more going on here than some eyes out of focus. And yet, simple things like learning to shift help a lot! The simpler the better, really, or you end up just creating another piece of the prison with too much thinking and crazy ideas.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Hi guys,

Thank you for your comments and encouragement!

Indeed, now that I am relearning to see, my visual system might be refusing to "get used" to the optometrist's standard overprescription. That can also account in part for what I am experiencing. I kept my old 6.5 diopters lenses for my glasses, with the intention of having them put back when my vision gets some substantial improvement and testifying of it to my optometrist (I'm not sure right now I want to buy a new, lower prescription, as it is so expensive... Though I agree it is the better way).

I can add that if Bates' discoveries can at least stop the progress of my myopia and astigmatism, it will have been a worthwhile achievement. But I am persuaded it can do much more. For sure, the current majority-view has failed me so far and worsened my vision, and doesn't take account of all the facts, and that indicates me I am warranted trying something else.

Sorrisiblue, I sure will remember and use the joy of feeling in harder times. I noticed too improvement in color, depth and detail, and this interests me so much.

David, you're right, it really is as if I broke a mental yoke, and it has far more reaching consequences than just getting back clearer sight. Also, I am discovering that I am not a "normal", healthy person, and that I need healing. I'm assuming it. I have blurred vision and other strain-related problems, and I must not hide it behind glasses and forget about it. It has repercussions on other aspects of my life, even at the emotional level, or the other way around.
It is important to know ourselves, who and what we are. We make up and cherish so much lies in our lives, and our reasoning power is so much perverted.

This also makes us realize more that the blessing of life is not just about longevity, but really is a matter of quality and state of being. Somehow, I'm already feeling more alive in this body.

Sorrisiblue, thank you, I intend to read too Dr. Bates original works.

By the way, I've come up with way of relaxing my eyes that I find, for me, very efficient for short breaks (it might depend on your particular physionomy). When palming, make sure the extremities of your slightly cupping hands (excluding the fingers) touch the rim of your "greater orbit" (I'm not good in anatomy!) around the eyes, (on the eyebrows, cheekbones, sides, sides of nose), without touching your eyes of course. Than very gently massage in circular motions. I guess that might bring great relaxation to the external muscles of the eyes. Just a non-professional tip.

Al
Hi guys,

Thank you for your comments and encouragement!

Indeed, now that I am relearning to see, my visual system might be refusing to "get used" to the optometrist's standard overprescription. That can also account in part for what I am experiencing. I kept my old 6.5 diopters lenses for my glasses, with the intention of having them put back when my vision gets some substantial improvement and testifying of it to my optometrist (I'm not sure right now I want to buy a new, lower prescription, as it is so expensive... Though I agree it is the better way).

I can add that if Bates' discoveries can at least stop the progress of my myopia and astigmatism, it will have been a worthwhile achievement. But I am persuaded it can do much more. For sure, the current majority-view has failed me so far and worsened my vision, and doesn't take account of all the facts, and that indicates me I am warranted trying something else.

Sorrisiblue, I sure will remember and use the joy of feeling in harder times. I noticed too improvement in color, depth and detail, and this interests me so much.

David, you're right, it really is as if I broke a mental yoke, and it has far more reaching consequences than just getting back clearer sight. Also, I am discovering that I am not a "normal", healthy person, and that I need healing. I'm assuming it. I have blurred vision and other strain-related problems, and I must not hide it behind glasses and forget about it. It has repercussions on other aspects of my life, even at the emotional level, or the other way around.
It is important to know ourselves, who and what we are. We make up and cherish so much lies in our lives, and our reasoning power is so much perverted.

This also makes us realize more that the blessing of life is not just about longevity, but really is a matter of quality and state of being. Somehow, I'm already feeling more alive in this body.

Sorrisiblue, thank you, I intend to read too Dr. Bates original works.

By the way, I've come up with way of relaxing my eyes that I find, for me, very efficient for short breaks (it might depend on your particular physionomy). When palming, make sure the extremities of your slightly cupping hands (excluding the fingers) touch the rim of your "greater orbit" (I'm not good in anatomy!) around the eyes, (on the eyebrows, cheekbones, sides, sides of nose), without touching your eyes of course. Than very gently massage in circular motions. I guess that might bring great relaxation to the external muscles of the eyes. Just a non-professional tip.

Al
Hi Al!

thank you, and keep posting your insight as you learn, it is very interesting to see this process through other eyes. I enjoy reading about what works for people and what they find inspiring about the process! At the moment I'm trying to relax in the most basic habits: Breathing and Blinking. What you said about palming is nice, with your fingers in this position you can tell if your blinks are strained or relaxed.

Cheers!
welcome to the movement AI8. one thing;

Quote:I have made Thomas Quackenbush's "Relearning to see" my main reference on natural seeing.
don't. discard whatever you retain from this book. while it does have some useful information such as left/right brain differences in vision, these topics diverge from what you really seek, mainly proven methods which will assist in the relaxation of your mind. purchase the bates book 'the cure of imperfect sight...' and read his compendium of better eyesight magazine also (edited by T.Q., but ignore his words). this is so you may have it on hand wherever you go.

you are a religious man. stick to the source (Bates) as you do with your faith (God) and you can not lose.
Subject: Low cost minus lens.

Indeed, now that I am relearning to see, my visual system might be refusing to "get used" to the optometrist's standard overprescription.

Quote:That can also account in part for what I am experiencing. I kept my old 6.5 diopters lenses for my glasses, with the intention of having them put back when my vision gets some substantial improvement and testifying of it to my optometrist

Otis> That is a complete waste of time.

Quote:(I'm not sure right now I want to buy a new, lower prescription, as it is so expensive... Though I agree it is the better way).

Otis> You can get your reduced minus lenses from Zenniopical.com for about $10. Smile

Best,

Otis
Hi Al,

Thanks for sharing. It is a great encouragement to me.

I do read abit abt philosophy too. I agree with what you said. Too much reasoning is not how life is meant to live Smile It takes out the fun and joy in life that it leaves us despaired with so many troubling questions that the human mind may not be able to comprehend these things.

I hope you find fulfilment in God's purpose in this Bates method. Merry Christmas to all!
infinitewolf Wrote:welcome to the movement AI8. one thing;

Quote:I have made Thomas Quackenbush's "Relearning to see" my main reference on natural seeing.
don't. discard whatever you retain from this book. while it does have some useful information such as left/right brain differences in vision, these topics diverge from what you really seek, mainly proven methods which will assist in the relaxation of your mind.

I think relearning to see is a great book. I dont think discarding what you attaining and ignoring his words is right. Doing Bates methods (like shifting, swinging, palming, sunning etc.)is important, and I think you should do these and also do natural, relaxed vision habits all day long-the habits in the book(sketching or shifting, breathing abdominally, and blinking). And you say it diverges from what you seek, methods of relaxation, but doing the natural vision habits creates relaxation and (re)teaches you movement and central fixation. Im not saying you shouldnt do Bates techniques,They are important. I think you should do Bates techniques and also do natural,relaxed vision habits all day.
Subject: About puting "Bates to the test".

As I have posted on imagination-blindness, there are people who
claim macular degenaration can be "cured" by Bates. :Smile

Well, maybe.

But the problem here is that claims like this tend to discredit Bates.

But given certain clarifications (review of his 1913 study), I believe
that Bates methods can be used to clear vision from 20/70.

The question we might ask is this:

Did Bates fail me -- or did I fail Bates?

That remains an open question for all of us. Smile

Otis
otis Wrote:As I have posted on imagination-blindness, there are people who
claim macular degenaration can be "cured" by Bates. :Smile

Well, maybe.

But the problem here is that claims like this tend to discredit Bates.

I disagree. I should think that claiming Dr. Bates' method DOESN'T cure macular degeneration would discredit him!

I really wanna know why you think there are eye diseases that aren't cured by mental rest, and if you have any evidence for such an idea.

Dr. Bates repeatedly demonstrated, both clinically and experimentally, that mental rest or relaxation can be measured by simultaneous retinoscopy. He also demonstrated that when this relaxation is obtained all functional and organic diseases of the eye are cured.

Otis, have you read anything that Bates has written? If you think he is lying then why are you posting on the Bates Method forum?

Anyway, we'll find out the truth when I cure a friend who has macular degeneration, after I cure my own "myopia with elongation of the eyeball." Not to mention I have 20/400, not 20/70.

otis Wrote:But given certain clarifications (review of his 1913 study), I believe
that Bates methods can be used to clear vision from 20/70.

The question we might ask is this:

Did Bates fail me -- or did I fail Bates?

That remains an open question for all of us. Smile

Otis, have you even given Bates a shot? And why do you ONLY refer to that 1913 study, when Bates had yet to discover that organic myopia is curable, as well as cataract, retinitis pigmentosa and blindness? He didn't even publish his book until 7 years after that study!
Al, you should definitely read Bates' original work to understand the principle. TomQ wrote a nice book, but I think the value rests with the Bates' book. One thing you should take to heart from TomQ: seeing isn't about exercises, it's about correctly using your eyes at all times. Looks like you have the will and determination to achieve clear eyesight, keep with it and you will do very well.

Jason:
Otis isn't interested in curing his own eyesight, he just goes around all natural vision improvement forums making witty remarks and reminding people about how bad their eyesight really is to discourage them.
He doesn't believe in the Bates method, and will not try it.

You ask the question about why he posts here (or mention the plus lens), you'll get a response in 20 seconds including a bunch of crap about second-opinion ODs that doesn't make any sense. If you try to raise a question about something he says, he just starts posting some stuff that looks copy/pasted out of somewhere, and most of the time irrelevant to the argument, and thinks he made a point.
Just skip his posts.

Paul

Having said that, Otis isn't stupid. In the past we had never-ending discussions because he is stubborn, blunt, and very inconsiderate of other people's arguments; he always fuels conflict and doesn't know when to stop. And he wonders why so many people don't like him.
Hi all!

I write to give a quick update about my case.

I began reading Dr. Bates' Better Eyesight magazine. Very interesting and beneficial!

I also began using older glasses for work, that is, mainly for computer work (though I use them for other activities now). I don't remember what prescription they are exactly, but they must be -6 diopters or more, meaning at least 2 diopters more than my current prescription (meaning the old glasses are "weaker").

So I am now wearing them much more often than my "real" glasses, since I do so much work with computers. Whenever possible, at every opportunity and at every break, I do not wear glasses at all.

Yesterday morning, I had an odd experience: while looking at a sheet, two very short flashes of improved vision occured in a row, between blinkings. It was still far from perfect sight, but it definitly was a significant improvement of vision. Today, in the afternoon, I had a much more convincing and wonderful experience: an unmistakable flash of significantly improved vision that lasted maybe 15 seconds or so! And what great feeling of well-being it gave to my eyes and mind. I was filled with overflowing joy, that I could hardly contain. This is the encouragement I needed. This is real. There is hope!

In all occurrences, it was not drops of water in the eyes, it was not squinting... But it really was relaxed flashes!

Also, my current glasses (-8 diopters) now feel "too strong" for me...

This is a real encouragement after a few days of discouragement, because of Holidays stress I had felt I had regressed and lost the progress I had made... But now its getting back! Perseverance.

So I am going on with this, and it will take all the time, discipline and patience it takes. This is so a wonderful experience of self-control, beneficial to the whole being, and much more rewarding than laser surgery.

But I must not fall in the trap of seeking clear flashes or of trying to see better, but simply unlearning bad habits and learning to live well. And the eyes will take care of themselve according to their own timetable, so to speak.

Al8
Hi all!

OK, now I clearly realize that my biggest problem is Astigmatism (strange to say, but it took me some time to really realize this). That was the condition that came before Myopia in my life, and it seems I still made no progress regarding Astigmatism. I think my vision would now be much better (I really think my acuity is better) if it was not because I see 3 lines when there are just one. Also, this Astigmatism does not help me when doing exercices that target more the healing of myopia and that involve fine details. So I think this is what I should address first and foremost in my mind before lack of acuity.

Does anybody have any tips about that problem? Any specific recommandation to address that problem? Any experience?
Any article or previous comments to bring to my attention?

For sure, I think palming can benefit Astigmatism.

Thanks!

Al8

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now