MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Other Methods of Snellen Clearing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other Methods of Snellen Clearing
Subject: Methods of prevention -- and to agree and disagree.

I think we all believe that it is a good idea to avoid the minus.

To do so, it is necessary to make certain you keep your
Snellen clear by your own efforts (what ever method you choose).

The ODs tend to over-prescribed a minus lens. i.e., the
child has 20/40, and gets a -1 to -2 diopter
lens and is told to "...wear it all the time".

Here a parent of a young child avoided that "trap", and
helped his son clear his Snellen to pass the legal
requirment on the Snellen (read 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet).

Otis

==================================

Subject: Mike's vision 20/70 to 20/30

Dear Otis,

I am Ron and my son is Mike. Mike is eight years old now and
can read most of the 20/30 line of i-see random Snellen chart. He
has been using plus for three months.

In 2004 when he was 6. My wife and I took him to see the
optometrist in a university. We were told that Mike's vision was
farsighted +0.75D both eyes and the eyes were healthy.

In 2005 he was 7. We went to the same optometrist. We were
told that Mike's farsightedness was gone. We worried he would be
myopic soon. But nothing we could do at the time. The
optometrist said that they suggest some children to use the hard
contact lens to slow down the myopia if myopia grows fast. But he
said Mike was not myopic yet and did not need at the time. My
wife and I also think the hard contact lens is too dangerous for a
young boy like Michael. We do not consider. What we could do was
just keep an eye on his vision.

At his regular body check early August this year. The doctor
told us Mike needed to see an optometrist. My wife and I took him
to see an optometrist on the same day. We were told that Mike was
R -1.25 D and L -1.00 D nearsighted. That guy said Mike needed a
pair of nearsightedness glasses. I told him Mike's refractive
state was 0 diopter last year. That guy said ..you know.. he has
grown. he has grown taller. his eyes have grown longer. and
heredity. so myopia. I thought only the heredity made sense (not
any more now).

I think the NBA players are much taller. Are they all
myopic? We rejected to let Michael wear glasses the guy wanted to
sell. We went to two more different optometrists at different
places in the week (because I don't really trust some of them ).
One said Michael was R -1.25 D and L -1.50 D. Another said he was
-1.50 D both eyes. Sure enough he was nnearsighted. We did not go
to the university because it takes months for an appointment. We
needed to know earlier.

My wife and I were very sad. We have been doing everything
we can to protect his vision since he was a baby, no close reading
at home (in school we don't know and can not control), 12 feet
away from the TV and only two or three hours a week, no TV game
and no computer etc. Unfortunately, he can not stay away from
myopia.

In that week. My wife and I searched on the net. We wanted
to find some methods to slow down Mike's myopia progress. We
found O.K lens then we found plus method on Steve's site and your
site. We read as much as possible in a week. Though we read a
lot. We could not let Mike try the plus. Because we didn't know
too much about this. We worried. So we decided to try the plus
lenses by myself first. After a few days using plus lenses. I
felt good and my vision improved little. It was no harmful at
all. Then we got a pair of +1.50 D lenses for Michael starting.
Mike started using plus in the end of August 2006.

Mike's vision improved a little bit in a month. I always
check his vision at home with the eye charts on the net. I have
read a lot about plus prevention on the net. Too bad Steve
doesn't update his website any more for some reason. Some people
accused him.

I have read a lot on your site, your forum, the Yabb vision
improvement forum, sci.med.vision and i-see etc. I realize the
+1.50 D lenses are not strong enough for Michael when he reaches
20/50 or better. So I gave him a pair of +2.50D lenses on 26
September 2006. He uses plus at home and his class room. He now
can read most of the 20/30. Sometimes 4 of 6 sometimes 5 of 6.
His vision was about 20/60 - 20/70 three months ago. He has
improved a lot through three months.

Last week Mike had a vision assessment in the department of
health. The optometrist put the -0.50D lenses on Mike's face.
Michael could read the smallest line each eye separately with
those lenses. The optometrist said Mike was -0.50 D nearsighted
both eyes. I asked him if the smallest line was 20/20. He told
me that was 20/15. He said Mike didn't need glasses.

Otis, is that kind of over-prescription you always say?
Anyway, we are so happy about that Michael is just -0.50D
nearsighted (may be) confirmed by a professional optometrist
though I know his vision level on the eye chart at home, though I
don't trust some of them too much.

Mike improves his vision by using plus. So do I. But my
vision is too bad can not be restored. One thing is certain.
Plus prevention works. Mike doesn't do any eye exercise like
zooming, sunning and palming etc. He doesn't even know it. I
have given him some blue berry extract with DHA since October
2006. I don't know if it helps. Who knows?

One more thing is certain. God has been helping us. Thank
God.

Otis, you are doing great. You are helping a lot of people.
Some people overcome myopia with your help. I have learnt much
about plus-prevention on your site. Mike can avoid the stair-case
myopia. His vision doesn't need to be sacrificed. I can't tell
you how excited I am that he doesn't need the nearsightedness
glasses in his life even he is just 20/30 now. You are making
things better.

I have seen some people bash you unreasonably. So I just
want to write this letter to say thank you and encourage you. It
is not easy for me to type an English letter like this. But I
have to.

I don't know if Mike will reach 20/20. I believe he will. I
will let you know on the day.

Thank you very much again Otis.

Best regards,

Ron

++++++++++

Part 2

Subject: Mike's vision now 20/25

Dear Otis,

Thank you for your message. I read those pages of Wildsoet
Lab and Good Vision. I understand the effect of the minus lens.
When I was teen. I needed stronger minus lenses every one or two
years. I don't want my child to do the same thing that I did. I
value his vision.

I test Mike's vision once a week. Yesterday I tested his
vision again. He could read 4 of 5 letters of IVAC 20/25 line.
It amazed me. Last week he could just read 5 of 6 letters of
I-SEE Snellen 20/30 line. He is getting better and better. I
think kid's vision can be restored much easier than adult.

As you know. There are so many people nearsighted in Hong
Kong. I am one of them. Michael is in a grade 3 class with 20
classmates. Unfortunately there are already five students wearing
minus glasses in his class. My wife has talked about plus
prevention to a parent whose child is -1.50 D nearsighted. But
she didn't really believe it. People prefer the minus lens the
optometrists suggest. You are right. The Lord helps the people
who help themselves.

I will get Mike proper medical checks certainly and we will
go to the Polytechnic university to see the optometrist again when
his vision gets better.

Thank you very much for your attention. Smile

Best regards,

Ron
Hi otis,

Seems like a simple method to implement for vision clearing. Also visited your webpage and found many success stories of vision clearing by using the plus lens method.

Few basic questions:
1) How does one begins to use the plus lens for vision clearing? I tried putting on my mom's plus lens and have to push the monitor 2 inches to my face see the text on the computer screen. Left eye is about 20/60 and right eye 20/100. Have astigmatism on both eyes, right is worse than left.

2) Does one have to wear the plus at all times? Will doing so cause far-sightedness? Will doing so cause strain to the eyes?

Regards,
Petal
Dear Petal,

Subject: Method advocated for use BEFORE a minus lens is worn.

As you know I support Bates in his statement about the danger of the minus lens.
I think it should be avoided -- by the person himself.
But prevention by Bates or any other method -- requires good
insights and considerable self-motivation.

The people who report their success almost always were "self-directed". i.e,,
they decided that they would make a long-term commitment to prevention -- and
STICK with it.

Quote:Seems like a simple method to implement for vision clearing.

Otis> Simple in concept, but very difficult to implement in practice.

Quote:Also visited your webpage and found many success stories of vision clearing by using the plus lens method.

Otis> For people with a very-strong reason to STICK with the plus (starting at 20/70), then yes,
they were successful -- by confirming their V.A. on their Snellen. That is the only
way anyone will be convinced. Not what I might say, but what THEY accomplish.

Quote:Few basic questions:

1) How does one begins to use the plus lens for vision clearing? I tried putting on my mom's plus lens and have to push the monitor 2 inches to my face see the text on the computer screen. Left eye is about 20/60 and right eye 20/100. Have astigmatism on both eyes, right is worse than left.

Otis> Item 1: I can only hope you are not wearing a minus lens, and your Snellen is 20/70 or better. You START
by reading your Snellen, and confirming where you stand. With 20/60 vision (both eyes) you can
function (at this time) with no minusl lens on your face -- except for driving a car. The difference
between your eyes is small. You can ignore that difference.

Quote:2) Does one have to wear the plus at all times?

Otis> That would be your choice. If you have an INTENSE desire to clear your Snellen, then
that would be a factor in your decision. I would suggest for ALL close work of any kind.
Look over the tops for distant objects.

Quote:Will doing so cause far-sightedness? Will doing so cause strain to the eyes?

Otis> To clear your Snellen your refractive STATUS MUST MOVE IN A POSITIVE DIRECTION.
That is not causing "defects" as you imply. In fact, Snellen-clearing and
change in refractive STATUS (as measured by you) MUST occur together.
You can stop when your refractive STATUS gets to zero. Smile

Best,

Otis

Petal
Hi otis, thanks for the prompt reply..

otis Wrote:As you know I support Bates in his statement about the danger of the minus lens.
I think it should be avoided -- by the person himself.
Not sure about this statement, but I thought that Bates' methods do not involve glasses of any kind? Using the plus lens seem to be in contradiction to Bates' methods.

otis Wrote:Otis> Simple in concept, but very difficult to implement in practice.
Agree with you on this. I can only see through the plus lens by moving the reading material 2 inches to my face, quite a strain on the neck. Will this make my eyesight worse instead?

otis Wrote:Otis> Item 1: I can only hope you are not wearing a minus lens, and your Snellen is 20/70 or better. You START
by reading your Snellen, and confirming where you stand. With 20/60 vision (both eyes) you can
function (at this time) with no minusl lens on your face -- except for driving a car. The difference
between your eyes is small. You can ignore that difference.
I am wearing the minus. The acuity stated(20/80 left, 20/100 right) was measured using the online chart on the lcd monitor, reading results yield from some shifting and blinking before the letters can differentiated. I believe my actual acuity to be much worse if tested on a printed chart without any shifting and blinking to make the letters clearer, as keep I seeing doubles. This is why I am wearing the minus at work. The lens is a about -5diopters(left) and -5.5diopters(right). I presume they are underprescribed glasses, as I can only see 10/40(on the printed eyechart) through them. Should I reduce them further?

I read from one of the links an article by Dolphin Hill that wearing the plus lens is likely to give you headaches. The 'professional' advice is to take pain killers! I am quite surprised that this type of advice is given, as Bates' methods is all about relaxing the eyes, not straining them and then take a pain reliever to relax. It seem to suggest that regardless of all discomforts, the plus lens must be worn til the sight becomes normal. Is this the idea?

Regards,
Petal
Dear Petal,

Subject: Thanks for reading my site.

I think it possible to AGREE that the minus must be avoided (as Bates strongly
recommended -- and I agree with), while not quite agreeing on
the specific PREVENTIVE method.

Your current "prescription" of -5.5 diopters means that your clear distant vision goes
out to about 6 inches. (inverse of your power in diopters). For that
reason you are not a candidate for the use of the plus. You
probably noticed that I SUGGESTED vision clearing from
20/70 to normal.

So my site is not for you. I personally think, though, that when you
were at 20/40 to 20/70 you should have been offered these
(Bates and plus methods). They would have been
most effective at that point.

But they can never be prescribed. That is why this issue
is so "individual", and why Daivd is working so
hard to help you clear your Snellen back to normal.

Just my opinion,

Otis

I read from one of the links an article by Dolphin Hill that wearing the plus lens is likely to give you headaches. The 'professional' advice is to take pain killers! I am quite surprised that this type of advice is given, as Bates' methods is all about relaxing the eyes, not straining them and then take a pain reliever to relax. It seem to suggest that regardless of all discomforts, the plus lens must be worn til the sight becomes normal. Is this the idea?

Regards,
Petal
Hi otis,
otis Wrote:Dear Petal,
So my site is not for you. I personally think, though, that when you
were at 20/40 to 20/70 you should have been offered these
(Bates and plus methods). They would have been
most effective at that point.

I do agree that your site is not for me. I will persist in practising Bates' and limit the use of glasses as much as I can. Think this is the best I can do for myself for now.

Regards,

Petal
Dear Petal,

Subject: Helping people get Bates -- before the minus.

I attempt to help a person with ANY method, and help him understand
how important it is to avoid the minus.

(i.e., when given a -2 diopter lens -- CHECK YOUR SNELLEN).

That FIRST minus is the "killer". But to avoid that minus you must pass
the REASONABLE DMV test under YOUR control.

It is obvious that it NOT the business of any OD or MD to help you with
this Snellen clearing. ???

But default, then is must be YOU who does it -- and John B. did.

These methods do work -- but only if YOU work the method.

Just my opinion.

Otis
Hi otis,

Are you familiar with massages for vision improvement. Since Bates' methods is mostly about mental relaxation and letting go of the strain muscles, massages seem to make a lot of sense.

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hanwen/nvifaq.htm#NA7.0

The site seem to describe a lot of other methods, from behavioral optometry, yoga, nutrition etc etc. But doing them all would probably confuse the mind and end up taking too much time. However, if committing to one method over a certain period(maybe 3-6 months) and no improvement can be seen, its probably wise to explore further.

Just my personal opinion.

Regards,

Petal
Dear Petal,

Subject: An infinite number of mthods of vision-clearing.

Re: The same number of "theories of the eye".

I object to that minus lens -- as Bates did.

But to avoid it -- you MUST clear your Snellen before you begin wearing it.

That means that you MUST pass the 20/40 line -- UNDER YOUR CONTROL.

Do that, and no minus lens.

The only real question is this -- can you do it from 20/70. ???

I can't answer that question. Only you can -- by your own chosen method.

More commentary: Smile

Quote:The site seem to describe a lot of other methods, from behavioral optometry, yoga, nutrition etc etc. But doing them all would probably confuse the mind and end up taking too much time. However, if committing to one method over a certain period(maybe 3-6 months) and no improvement can be seen, its probably wise to explore further.

Yes, there are etc, etc, methods. You can never do ALL OF THEM.

It becomes a matter of your own wisdom to select the one the you think or believe will
work for YOU.

But I do suggest that you be consistent in the ONE method you select.

Best,

Otis

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now