MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Pls suggest reduced prescription for me (II)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pls suggest reduced prescription for me (II)
Hi. I am currently prescribed -9.25 and -8.5 lenses. Using the link provided here (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->), I can read somewhere between the 20/600 and 20/800 lines. Given that it has been approximated that 1 diopter translates to 20/70 correction, I think my current prescription is about right for 20/20 vision.

What prescription should I use to attain 20/40 vision for driving, and 20/80 vision for near work e.g. working at a computer at a distance of between 2.5 and 3 feet away?

Thank you.
Well, to start off with, no one has that answer. That kind of knowledge would be publication worthy.

The best you can work with is through focal distances. 100/distance you can see in cm=diopters.

If you want to know what kinda glasses you want just work backwards through that. Say you want to see 50 centimeters well 100/50=2 diopters. Naturally, you have your own prescription on top of that so it won't be 2 diopters it will be your prescription minus 2 diopters.

Of course you should also consider that the equation will bring you close to complete correction at that distance so you'll have to guess and lower it a little bit further than that.

As for finding your 20/40 and 20/80 prescriptions I simply don't know of a reliable way to do so.
Dear Friend,

Subject: Choosing a "reduced' prescription for reading.

These majority-opinion ODs always over-prescribe -- for 20/15 or even 20/10 if they can get it.
Thus you MIGHT be over-prescribed.

That level of prescription implies that the maximum "clear" distanc you can see is about
5 inches from you eyes. To check this, just take your glasses off -- and put the reading
5 inches from your eyes. Clear? If so push away until the reading slightly blurs.
If that is at 6 inches, then your refractive STATE is about -6 dipoters.

Quote:Hi. I am currently prescribed -9.25 and -8.5 lenses. Using the link provided here (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->), I can read somewhere between the 20/600 and 20/800 lines. Given that it has been approximated that 1 diopter translates to 20/70 correction, I think my current prescription is about right for 20/20 vision.

Otis> That is good that you checked. Remember, the LEGAL requirment is that you read 20/40 or better with
both eyes open.

What prescription should I use to attain 20/40 vision for driving, and 20/80 vision for near work e.g. working at a computer at a distance of between 2.5 and 3 feet away?

Otis> Assuming, with no minus lens on your face, you clear distance is 5 inches (-8 diopters), then for
reading and working on a computer, you can reduce this by 2 diopters, or a -6 dipoter lens in this case.
For driving a car you must use your -8 diopter lens.

Otis> Let us know your "clear vision" with no minus lens. Smile

Best,

Otis

Thank you.
Hi,

It's trial and error. In my case (-8.00 glasses to start) I reduced to -7.00 and I could still read 20/20. One option is to go to the eye doctor and say 'please prescribe the first lense where I can read 20/40 (or 6/12 if you are in a metric country) so that I can relax when I read my computer'. If you are guessing and ordering online, I wouldn't reduce by more than 1 diopter. I personally found it quite helpful to not reduce much at the beginning, have some success, gain confidence, and reduce further the next time.

Also, it's like David said earlier, it's not about the prescription. A reduced prescription will allow your eyes to relax a little during the day. However, I found the vast amount of improvement comes not from wearing reduced prescription glasses, but spending time without any glasses at all and learning/practicing correct vision habits during this time. Good luck!
Hi. First post. Finished reading the bates book yesterday.

I was wondering about astigmatism correction in reduced prescriptions. Is it advicable to keep that type of correction or is it good to remove it early? Is it possible to have degrees of this type of correction also?
If the astigmatism is less than 1 diopter -- I would remove it.

It has very little effect on 20/20 vision. (The eye with a positive
refractive STATUS).

You can convert your prescription this way -- for instance

Spherical -1.5 diopter. Astigmatic -1 diopter at 90 degrees.

Taks 1/2 the astigmatism part and add it to the spherical,
i.e., the sperical equivalent would be -2 diotpers.

I would have you always check your Snellen to make certian
it passes the DMV test if you do this conversion (i.e.,
read 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet). Smile

Otis
I agree that if it's less than 1 diopter atigmatism to leave it out. I have experience with 2 pairs of reduced prescription glasses. My optometrist prescribed -7.75 with -0.5 astigmatism. I bought -7.00 with -0.5 astigmatism. I can see 20/20 through them and don't have a problem with the astigmatism correction being there. BUT, I also got -6.25 with -0.5 astigmatism for reading (which actually is still too strong for reference) and I can see more clearly through the sides than through the middle. I took them back to have it checked and they said they are ok.

The only explanation I can come up with that I can see through the sides better is either

1. My astigmatism is now gone so the cylindrical correction (thicker on the side) is too much OR
2. The astigmatism correction is out of balance with the spherical prescription since the spherical is reduced by 1.5D and the cylindrical remained the same.

I first saw 20/60 out of the -6.25 glasses and now I can see 20/40 or 20/30 depending on light conditions in my room. In retrospect I even looked carefully out of the sides of my -7.00 pair, and with these I notice that at far distances I can see better through the sides than the middle as well.

Maybe (now I'm reaching beyond my experience), you could make some relation that if you are reducing the spherical more than the prescription of the astigmatism (cylindrical) then you should reduce the cylindrical in a similar percent if possible, ie, if you reduce the spherical prescription by 20%, then reduce the cylindrical by 20%. Of course, this is difficult because you are only working in increments of 0.25D as far as I know.
Dear Sorri,

I always ask (insist) that I receive NO ASTIGMATISM, consistent with PASSING the
DMV requirement (of 20/40, or 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet). I would check
this at home using the Snellen (IVAC) -- just to be certain.

The "astig" measurement is made in a dark room with poor illumination.
I think is it a consistently bad or poor measurement. There
are some ODs who do not "bother" with it.

When I had it -- I got headaches. I think the issue is over-blown.

Otis
Where can we order glasses where we put our own prescription in? (That is, without getting a doctor to write a reduced one for us?) Is there a place to do this? (For myopia)

Thanks!
Dear Friend,

Subject: Getting lenses.

A lens is "neutral". I personally think that you should never be prohibited from
obtaining a lens for any reason. :Smile

But tragically, there are some ODs who think you incompetent, and that you
should be prohibited from obtaining any lens. Big Grin

I am not going to argue that issue, but if there is such a law, i think it
is designed to "protect" the ODs an not you. :o

What ever your judgment, here is a site that will provide lenses to you:

Zennioptical.com

I would strongly suggest that you read your own Snellen, and make certain that
you pass the DMV requirement -- whatever you might do. That is a matter
of caution and safety. I have posted a link to a Snellen that is easy to use.

You are an adult, and can judge these various issues.

Be wise! Smile
Thank you! I am not sure how to diagnose my prescription from the chart. Astigmatism and axis is confusing, and I know that not everyone with, say, 20/200 vision has the same refractive error.

Has anyone ordered glasses from Zennioptical? Are they good quality?

Thanks for any help you can offer a newbie.
Dear Friend,

Subject: Estimating the required minus lens from the Snellen. ???

Perhaps some experts here can help you. There is a general relationship.

Why not click here, and then press "display".

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

Then read from 20 feet. Let us know, and we can
estimate the amount of minus it will take to clear
the Snellen. (Just for practice and knowledge -- of course). Smile

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now