MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Reading and Bates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading and Bates
I do a lot of reading and studying for school; this usually puts strain on my neck and causes my eyes to ache after an extended period of time. I was wondering if there's a better way to read during my studying. I've read Bates' book, but was hoping some of you had some specific advice. Thanks.
Dear Friend,

Subject: Reading -- with problems.

Bates was intended to help with these problems. Smile

But I wonder. Do you have a specific problem, like
loss of distant vision?

Otis
Sorry, forgot to mention I have myopia. Since finding out about Bates' method my vision has cleared a little and my astigmatism in my left eye has almost vanished. But back to the question, it seems like after I read for an extended period of time, my vision gets worse and my eyes ache. I guess what I'm looking for is advice from anyone tat has experienced the same problem. I'm sure there's some helpful info in his book, it's around here somewhere. I need to find it.
look slightly to the left of the words before you read them, and also close your eyes for some time whenever feeling the strain.
The thing is, reading isn't harmful, it's the way people do it sometimes. Look up often, don't put yourself in a cramped or uncomfortable position, etc. If you neck hurts afterwards, you weren't paying enough attention to how you felt while you were studying. And don't cram.

I always crammed a lot in college, but there was one thing I was always good at in school - reading comprehension. The way to do it is to just go as slow as you need to and think about what you're reading so that it's interesting. You might have to stop and think about something for ten minutes if that's what it takes. If you read with the intention of MEMORIZING what you're reading to pass the test, you'll be lucky if you remember a fraction of it later that day, and probably nothing a week or month later.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Your problem is that while reading you stare in the middle of the line and try to read the entire line without moving your eyes.

The workaround is this:

Quote:(1) Shift consciously from one part to another of all objects regarded, and imagine that these objects move in a direction contrary to the movement of the eye. Do this with letters on the test card, with letters of fine print, if they can be seen, and with other objects.

(2) Close the eyes frequently for a moment or longer. When the strain is considerable, keep the eyes closed for several minutes and open them for a fraction of a second-flashing. When the stare is sufficient to keep the vision down to 2/200 or less, palm for a longer or shorter time; then look at the card for a moment. Later mere closing of the eyes may afford sufficient rest.

(3) Imagine that the white openings and margins of letters are whiter than the rest of the background. Do this with eyes closed and open alternately. It is an interesting fact that this practice prevents staring and improves the vision rapidly.

Better Eyesight, January, 1922
Well here are a few suggestions:

1) Keep the book upright so you don't have to bend your neck downwards. This strains the neck.

2) Don't lock your neck. Move your head, even a tiny bit helps a lot.

3) Look into the distance every now and then when you remember, and take breaks every half an hour or hour.

4) Don't stare or strain to see.

5) Remember to blink often, every 2-4 seconds. Most people blink less frequently while reading.

Hope this helps.
Dear Big Phone,

You will find Bates' book here for FREE:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.i-see.org/library.html">http://www.i-see.org/library.html</a><!-- m -->

For your own interest and improvement could you provide both
your prescription and your Snellen visual acuity? ???

Bates' 1913 study showed that vision could be cleared from
20/100 to normal in about six months. Smile

Best,

Otis
infinitewolf Wrote:look slightly to the left of the words before you read them, and also close your eyes for some time whenever feeling the strain.
Nifty. Not sure I do it right but it feels almost like 'falling' to the left or something. Both speed and relaxation seems to increase simultaneously.

And what David wrote. Mind has to be into it or I get tired very quickly.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download