MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
the eyes are different

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the eyes are different
Just something I was thinking about. I guess it was MacCracken's book a few years ago that initially inspired this line of thinking. He was a medical doctor who got training from Bates and taught his methods.

It's becoming more accepted all the time among medical doctors that chronic tension and other effects of stress play a major role in debilitating conditions all over the human body. There can be many reasons for it, emotional, mental, a reaction to physical injury, or whatever, all related to some form of misuse of the body. I haven't done any kind of research on the numbers, but I get the impression that it's becoming more the exception than the rule for a doctor to not recognize the impact of stress reactions on the body. Every system in the body in affected by it. And yet, the eyes, with their intricate complexity, with all the muscles that make it work, with such a large portion of our minds dedicated to the task of vision, with the eyes being physically like an extension of the brain, with the demands they are put under on a daily basis... with all this, they are (say the naysayers) the one part of the body that is virtually unaffected by this phenomenon of stress. No damage, no chronic disorders, nothing.

Anyone can see on a purely intellectual level how absurd this would be. It sounds completely backwards - the eyes, by any reasoning, should often bear the brunt of any mental or emotional strain and be one of the first parts of the body to suffer from tension. The most basic exploration should be not whether the eyes can be affected, but taking as evident that they would have to be affected and exploring the different ways HOW the eyes must surely suffer. By the most extreme viewpoint of the naysayers, there is only one effect of the force of stress on the eye - a minor and temporary contraction of a tiny muscle inside of the eye, causing a person to become only slightly [more] myopic. The same phenomenon of stress that at least in part causes unbearable back pain, heart attacks, panic attacks, poor circulation, poor digestion, diabetes, sleep disorders, earaches, poor mobility... (I could go on and on and find more and more on Google)... this same phenomenon is said to only affect the eyes and visual system in general in this almost inconsequential way, as if the way we use our eyes and whether we direct our life tensions to them couldn't matter.

Again, purely on an intellectual basis, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and I'm amazed that it doesn't strike more people this way.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I think... I want to read MacCracken's book now...
I recall asking my dad a couple of years ago, in a pretty convoluted way, whether the result of a fall from a slide (dislocated elbow - still can't straighten) could have had some effect on the eyes... given that the fall occurred when I was in grade 5 and my eyesight went from good to bad in grade 6 - not sure if it was quick or gradual... but within that year.
My dad seemed to think it was a ridiculous idea, but the curiosity has been re-piqued...
Also, but I didn't think of it then, the fact that I pretty much refused to do presentations - the work, sure, but not the actual presenting. Nor reading aloud.

Dave K Wrote:It's becoming more accepted all the time among medical doctors that chronic tension and other effects of stress play a major role in debilitating conditions all over the human body. There can be many reasons for it, emotional, mental, a reaction to physical injury, or whatever, all related to some form of misuse of the body.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download