MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
My vision can't improve..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My vision can't improve..
Dear all,
I am 14 years old and both of my eyes are about 20/350 (both eyes). Thats pretty bad,I have talk to my doctors and they said that, these exercises only work for people whose eyes are weak , etc. but my eyes are naturally near sighted.. it's something to do about how it curved I think...

any thoughts? ;D
Dear Sam,

Very few (maybe 1/2 percent) are born "naturally myopic".

Almost all children (who are not taught to read at age 3) have good visual
acuity, and a positive refractive STATE. Big Grin

I suspect your vision was reasonable at age 5, i.e., 20/40 or better.

But once you start in a "school" environment, and go "down" slightly,
you get a strong minus and are told to "...wear it all the time".

Once you start wearing that wretched minus, your eyes ADAPT to that
minus, and your refractive STATE continues DOWN at a rate
of -1/2 to -8/10 diopter PER YEAR. :Smile

Thus, if you started wearing minus-lenses at age 8, then, in 6 years,
you can expect your refractive STATE to go down by -3 diopters.

This is why Bates wished to PREVENT -- as described in his excellent
1913 study. Smile

Your OD is telling you the standard "office fib" to shut you up
and avoid pointed questions. In my humble opinion.

Just my second-opinion,

Otis
otis Wrote:Dear Sam,

Very few (maybe 1/2 percent) are born "naturally myopic".

Almost all children (who are not taught to read at age 3) have good visual
acuity, and a positive refractive STATE. Big Grin

I suspect your vision was reasonable at age 5, i.e., 20/40 or better.

But once you start in a "school" environment, and go "down" slightly,
you get a strong minus and are told to "...wear it all the time".

Once you start wearing that wretched minus, your eyes ADAPT to that
minus, and your refractive STATE continues DOWN at a rate
of -1/2 to -8/10 diopter PER YEAR. :Smile

Thus, if you started wearing minus-lenses at age 8, then, in 6 years,
you can expect your refractive STATE to go down by -3 diopters.

This is why Bates wished to PREVENT -- as described in his excellent
1913 study. Smile

Your OD is telling you the standard "office fib" to shut you up
and avoid pointed questions. In my humble opinion.

Just my second-opinion,

Otis

I'll second that Otis.

Although, I must say that the doctor's response is much better than I would have expected it to be. It even sounds like they're a behavioral optometrist.

Nevertheless, the fact that remains is that the Bates Method is *extremely* contradictory to the ingrained theories of optometry. Frankly, if you want to pursue the Bates Method you will be doing so solely because you believe in it and you are willing to follow what you believe is right.

Also, this topic definitely doesn't belong in success stories.
samsuda Wrote:Dear all,
I am 14 years old and both of my eyes are about 20/350 (both eyes). Thats pretty bad,I have talk to my doctors and they said that, these exercises only work for people whose eyes are weak , etc. but my eyes are naturally near sighted.. it's something to do about how it curved I think...

any thoughts? ;D
With that attitude of course you won't improve. You need to affirm yourself, and the doctors talk cheap! They just want you to come back so they make more money. Im 16 and my eyes are just as nearsighted, but don't you dare think that just because you are 20/350 that you can't improve your vision and that only people whose eyes are weak can improve. It's going to take time and its going to take relaxation. Read everything on this site and you'll be there!
Wow guys,
Thnak you so much... I feel so much better now, ;D ... But do you guys have any ideas how long it is going to take?...

Thanx so much,
Sam
Xx
Umm... you knwo how you guys use a smellen chart/ well where do you get it from? and how do you do excercise on it? where do you find the excercises? I am so sorry, but i do not know where to look... ??? Do we have to read Bate's book to find them ???

Anways,
Bye
Sam
Hi Sam,

Subject: Easy-to-use Snellen

Just click here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

Then click on "Display". Big Grin

20/60 letters will be presented. Pressing display again gives
you new letters. Smile

Back up 20 feet and read your monitor. Reading 1/2 the letters
correctly passes the line.

Give it a try! Smile

Otis
When I'm using an online Snellen, I noticed that it helps to "trace" the letters with your mouse. You can try that--
Thank you.. I actually gave that a try.. but since they did not have a letter for 20/350 ... i can actually read the 20/200 (bulry) but I can read it. Tongue .. by the way.. my ratina is not normal.. I have a hoole in it from birth, thank god the hole is not getting bigger....

does that effect anything???
and plus,, for the swinging excercise.. do we have to do it with a smellen chart? can we just swing our eyes anywhere? ;D cos I hav not got one so yeah...

Bye
Sam
Plus,,, i have been shifting ( not on a smellen chart) but just like, dun focus on anything for too long, and i have been blinking regularly and palming and I do the excercise where you put your thumb infront of you and focus on it then shift the focus to the wall behind it.. and I have also been roling my eyes.... ;D '' for about 3 days now.. nothing much happened.. but i will keep doing stuff... i have to do lots of work on cumputer..how can i relax my eyes while doing stuff on computers? right now, i am just shifting.. and ...kblinking and regularly palming...
Thanks
Bye
Sam
samsuda Wrote:Plus,,, i have been shifting ( not on a smellen chart) but just like, dun focus on anything for too long, and i have been blinking regularly and palming and I do the excercise where you put your thumb infront of you and focus on it then shift the focus to the wall behind it.. and I have also been roling my eyes.... ;D '' for about 3 days now.. nothing much happened.. but i will keep doing stuff... i have to do lots of work on cumputer..how can i relax my eyes while doing stuff on computers? right now, i am just shifting.. and ...kblinking and regularly palming...
Thanks
Bye
Sam

I won't deny that every person is different and you should do what works for you, however "zooming" and "eye exercises" are not part of the Bates Method (Yeah, the Bates method has a vague similarity to zooming - practicing with a near and a far snellen, but I don't believe that counts in this case). I honestly believe that you would be making a wiser investment practicing techniques that Bates recommended

Also, for general updates, you may be better off using the blog function of this forum. I can't really tell you how because I haven't made one myself, but it should be easy.
actually when i do that smellen thig... i can see blury on 20/200 , I got all the letters right...and yeah.. just o let you know.But I did it only half a meter away though... does that affect it? shouldn't do...???
Anyways,
Thank you for reading,
Sam
Xx...
Subject: Reading the Snellen at the correct distance.

Quote:actually when i do that smellen thig... i can see blury on 20/200 , I got all the letters right...and yeah.. just o let you know.But I did it only half a meter away though... does that affect it?

The Snellen is intended as a DISTANCE vision test. The specific distance is 20 feet or 6 meters. Smile

Otis
Hello all...
When I do the smellen 6 meters away.. i cannot even see when it is 400/20... oh, I have holes in my retina too. I forgot to tell you that.. i am thinking of buying a book, can u guys please suggest sum? of bate's method book..

I just want it to be easy to read...english is my second language
lots of excercises to do in a book. would be even better if I do not need a smellen chart to do the excercises, but if i need to have one, i am willing to buy one...

Just that,
thank you so much,
Sam
Xx...
Dear Sam,

Sure. Here is Dr. Bates powerful book.

Smile

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.i-see.org/perfect_sight/">http://www.i-see.org/perfect_sight/</a><!-- m -->

Otis

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download